Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Banned

Default Official 2014 Salmon fishing thread

We are getting geared up and so very excited for this season. The Lodge will be open in less than month and we are almost ready.

Who is doing what this year?
Have any pictures from the past you want to share?
Any tips and tricks you have learned?

The forecast for the Areas we fish could be epic this summer. The Skeena river return is forecasted to be one of the best since the 30's.

We are all done our ordering and made some minor changes along with a couple of big ones.
We have new Tyee pins in different weight classes
We have ordered some nice spring type jackets along with our usual warm hoodies
A dock hand has been hired for this season
All guides have been hired and are raring to go. For all those that have been with us in the past, Shea Roth is returning. For those that don't know Shea, his drive to catch XXXL sized Chinook is legendary.

Due to Shea's strategies and knowledge, the company that does our fish packaging has raised our rates a bit. Turns out they were tracking our Lodge and we brought in higher weights than what is normal. So, they have to ding us a bit on the flat rate packaging. That right there says so much.

Our second guide will be Les Leger out of Rogers fishing Lodge on Vancouver Island. Les comes to us with 30 years experience and personal need to catch Big Chinook. Les made the choice to come with us as he also has heard that the Skeena return this year could be over the top.

Its amazing the amount of applications we received from all over the coast. But we sorted through them and made a great choice for our clients.

Some of the big changes for 2014.
The requests for day charters only in these legendary waters was off the hook last year. So we have geared out another slightly smaller boat that will be dedicated to chartering just 2 people at a time. This will allow us to do day charters at a reduced rate in comparison to the Large Lodge boats we operate. We found a lot of people had trouble putting together a 3 or 4 day trip, others wanted to stay in town and just do a days worth of fishing. So we opened up this boat to better serve our clients.
The Captain for this Boat will be another long time GPSL Employee that you may have fished with. We are excited to have back Ryan Dudoward.

Finally, and I will post more of this. We are looking to expand our operation to the Haida Gwaii. (Queen Charlottes).
We will be putting together a trip for 8 exclusive guests at the end of August.
It will be a 5 star trip, including flights from Alberta, Helicopter ride to the Lodge and 4 days/5nights at the nicest Lodge you have ever laid your eyes on. In wanting to make this the best experience possible, we are even bringing over our Boats and our Guides. I will not trust this adventure to anyone else.
As a pure and killer bonus, we are hopeful to chase not only large Chinook, Coho, Halibut but TUNA as well. Apparently the spot we will be going to has Tuna at that time of year as close as 4 miles.. That's 4 miles, not 40 miles off shore.

If you have any interest in this exclusive program, get in touch ASAP. I have 4 that say they are in, but $$$ has not been received.

LETS GET SALMON FISHING!!!

Jamie
Great Pacific Salmon Lodge
Old 04-21-2014, 09:19 PM

Early July in thasis again for me ! Then a possible late aug. Trip to rivers inlet area on a 45 ft trawler, then kayak / jet boat for fly fishing coho ! Should be a great year from the news ! Good luck to everyone ! Maybe I'll head north one of these years .........
Old 04-21-2014, 09:55 PM

Already have the first trip in, spent 2 weeks on the island looking for a place to retire on. Went out for 3 hours and landed 3 springs, waited for 3 more days for the wind to slow down. Never did get any crab or bottom fish but that's spring fishing.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:06 AM

Back to Terrace this Sat. for a few weeks open the cabin and chase some steelhead, then back in July & Aug. for Springs and Coho. Oh and Oct. for steelhead and close the cabin dam summers are to short.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:57 AM

Hey Jamie, what is the cost for the Haida Gwaii trip? I have fished there before and it was great and have been considering going back.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:59 AM

Just got a report from Van that the first run of chinook are coming through Thrasher area and fishing is good. Some pics of nice columbians in the mid 20's. Hope this is a sign of what we have to look forward to. Tight lines everyone.

Cheers, Dave.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:57 AM

Default Port mcneil and Nootka esperenza

Heading with the wife and her parents to stay at telegraph cove for our yearly trip for 12 days in july. Then coming back in August to head to Nootka and staying in Tahsis for a week for a guys fishing trip, can't wait to fish esperenza inlet this time!

Hear it is suppose to be a wicked year on the west side, we plan on trying to jig for some springs and play around a little more on Bajo reef! Last year we fished the reef and i personally never seen so much fish in one spot before, could see them swimming in the prop wash behind the boat which made running gear to bottom sometimes pretty difficult.

Can't wait!!!!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:29 PM

Still working on the FIL to splurge on the 23' Trophy Walkaround, so the lady and I won't have to tow our boat out to the island this year. It's a work in progress.

Plan is to hit the salt in August. Prawns, Dungies, Salmon, Ling and Rockfish. Self guided to the local hot spots.

A few pictures from years past:

Looking forward to 2014! One day, I will fish with the GPSL crew, heard and read so many great stories of the fishing, hospitality and food that it is on our bucket list.

Good luck and tight lines this year Jamie!
Old 04-23-2014, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
Hey Jamie, what is the cost for the Haida Gwaii trip? I have fished there before and it was great and have been considering going back.
This Haida trip (Queen Charlottes) is going to run about $4,500/person.
It's going to be one first class trip.

Once I get it organized, I will post up some pics of the Lodge and all the details.

Jamie
Old 04-23-2014, 08:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Still working on the FIL to splurge on the 23' Trophy Walkaround, so the lady and I won't have to tow our boat out to the island this year. It's a work in progress.

Plan is to hit the salt in August. Prawns, Dungies, Salmon, Ling and Rockfish. Self guided to the local hot spots.

A few pictures from years past:

Looking forward to 2014! One day, I will fish with the GPSL crew, heard and read so many great stories of the fishing, hospitality and food that it is on our bucket list.

Good luck and tight lines this year Jamie!
Some great pics there FG. Isn't this sport special!
You should come with the Big A/O group this year. But I am sure we will see you at some point.

Do you have a Trophy in mind for your FIL?

Jamie
Old 04-23-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Some great pics there FG. Isn't this sport special!
You should come with the Big A/O group this year. But I am sure we will see you at some point.

Do you have a Trophy in mind for your FIL?

Jamie
It definitely is special Jamie. It is impressive and envious how you picked up after the fire and made your dream come true, and brought the sport to so many new salmon anglers - now addicts!

The FIL and I are looking at splitting a boat so that my lady and I can fly out for a weekend and fish. There's some good deals on boats on the island, just waiting for the right one.

I will fish with your crew one day, until then, keep the pictures and smiles coming!! Got a bulk order price on Tyee pins yet?!
Old 04-23-2014, 10:57 AM
AO Sponsor

Those are some sweet pics FG...and you have a woman who likes to fish, talk about living the life!!!
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 04-29-2014, 10:38 PM
Banned

Guys, here is a link to our May specials.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=217542

Enjoy and get in touch ASAP.
Already we have had 8 inquires about this package.

Jamie
403-813-2704
Old 05-15-2014, 02:53 AM
Banned

Ok, so I am out in Rupert. 2 boats splashed, 2 to go.
No food in the Lodge, so off to Breakers for dinner. Very nice of one of our suppliers to buy dinner for us. Nice dinner, say goodbye ans then..... Not so nice (or perhaps it was) for the second supplier to walk in as we are leaving and start round 2 on his bar tab....

Rule is that the first 2 up wake the 3rd up in the AM...

Story's told around the table from many different guys are showing a huge increase of Salmon.. Not that I can see it getting better than 2013. But still, the Pros up here are all excited as little kids on X-Mas morn.

This could be the bet year ever up in these waters..

Have you booked in yet?

Jamie
Old 05-15-2014, 02:01 PM

Default The count-down is on!!

Two weeks from now we will be out on the water with Jamie and the gang from GPSL. Four best friends celebrating our 40th birthdays, we've know each other since grade 7.
I cant explain how excited I am to go and chase some salmon and try to hook up a halibut while hanging out with my "brothers".
Old 05-15-2014, 03:43 PM

One month out Jamie, counting down the days. Look forward to meeting up with some fellow AO members and tiring ourselves out with fish after fish. See ya soon and keep us posted on the fishing reports.

Cheers, Dave.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:26 AM
Banned

First charter is out in the AM (Day Charter)
All staff is here
Groceries are bought
Lodge is a mess
Lawns have been combined
Boats have all been sea tested and adjusted
Gear is starting to show up and be rigged
Painting tomorow???
Remaining boats to be detailed tomorow

Reports in from 25 minutes away show good amounts of chinook. Averaging out around 22 pounds. Bigest so far has been a 45.

This season is going to rock! Unfortunately my personal boat will be the last one ready to go. BUT I will get out there! Perhaps Sunday for me.

Lots of help here now. Things will go quicker.

I just can't wait.

Jamie
Old 05-17-2014, 10:25 PM
Banned

Great first 1/2 day on the water for GPSL
Hali limits for all
Salmon limits for 3
Lost a approx 35 pounder at the boat. (DAMN)

I get to go our in the Am with Heidi and Syd!

Jamie
Old 05-17-2014, 11:44 PM

Work is putting a crimp on our Kitimat river/salmon trip this year. So only one outing .....on the ocean out of Rupert. But we going to make it a full week on the water this time. More time to prawn (which we generally only do one pull) and target yellow eye which we've not had great success at....

Should be a great season.....can be selective on the fish . And lot of evenings with a cigar and couple bottles of port relaxing floating in a cove while the barbeque heats up. I'm getting the lab-like excitement just thinking about it.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:50 AM
Banned

NORTH to ALASKA

Yes, that's the plan for the AM. We are going to hit some new spots and see what they are all about. Big adventure day for all of us. My 14 year old Dayghter is so excited, she can't sleep!

Lodge is almost 100%
Cooks first meal was fantastic!
2nd boat is almost ready to go
Still having issues with second golf cart
Pantry is 100% full
Cook is gearing up to start making cookies
Some rods are in for repair
All reels have been reconditioned and ready to go

Still need to paint
Lawn needs to be trimmed
Some bushing will be done
Tackle shack to be organized
Painting in guide shack

It's getting there guys, still so much work yet to do, but I see progress.

Still some last minute trips at great prices. Trips available as low as $1,500/person. Where are you going to beat that?

Booked another group today and one yesterday on these deals.

I am exhausted. Very satisfied, but exhausted.
I really do love it up here. Come see for yourself.

Jamie
Old 05-19-2014, 10:18 PM
AO Sponsor

Into 14 chinook today and caught 8. For May in our area that is some good fishing (in most locations on coast that'd be a great day during peak season!!!!). Things will really heat up come June. Pics shortly
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 05-23-2014, 11:53 PM
Banned

Despite the weather our guides and clients pulled it off again today.
Our first Tyee of 2014 hit the dock today. 30 pounds dead on the nose.

Some good fish around and we can't get to where we want to . The weather has been a nightmare. But some good captains and some hearty guests and we are making it happen.

Looks like a super early DDT tomorrow. Alarm is set for 3:30 . I really want something over 40 to start this season. Let's hope we see it in the AM.

Still some small openings for those that want to experience this world class fishery. Call me today and lets get you started.

Jamie
Old 05-23-2014, 11:55 PM
Banned

2014 first Tyee!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (32.1 KB, 84 views)
Old 05-23-2014, 11:57 PM
Banned

Upside right ??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (33.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 05-24-2014, 01:14 AM

Been working like a donkey to get the boat back to shape again, been a long hard winter on her! Decided to do a spur of the moment trip to nanoose bay to surprise my dad and take him out for a few days with his boys. He doesn't know we are coming , so it will be a big surprise when we show up in the morning with boat in tow!

This will be trip one of three this year! God bless my wife for letting me have this very expensive habit! Lol!
Old 05-24-2014, 06:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning375 View Post
Been working like a donkey to get the boat back to shape again, been a long hard winter on her! Decided to do a spur of the moment trip to nanoose bay to surprise my dad and take him out for a few days with his boys. He doesn't know we are coming , so it will be a big surprise when we show up in the morning with boat in tow!

This will be trip one of three this year! God bless my wife for letting me have this very expensive habit! Lol!
That's the way to get it done. I can't agree more about understanding wives..
7 more guests tonight including a few from A/O on their first of 2 trips to see us in 2014.

Good luck and be safe

Jamie
Old 05-24-2014, 07:47 AM

Man that's some ugly weather, either the camera man or the boat is completely upside down!!!!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-24-2014, 11:38 AM

Default 4 days!

Hitting the road in four days! Licenses are bought, beer and rum are packed clothes are in a pile ready for the suitcase. Just have to pull the coolers down

Getting more excited by the day!
Old 05-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Banned

Now it's right!!!
And yes the weather was nasty.

Looking better today. I think the groups are out chasing Halis.

Jamie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (33.0 KB, 75 views)
Old 05-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Banned

Though we are well known for our ability to nail xxxl sized salmon, today was a bit different. Both groups in Lodge wanted to go see what they could pull off the bottom

The list I have is out standing
7 Hali's (4 near 70 pounds) (over 15 to the boat)
5 lings (largest was 50 pounds)
6 yellow eye (Red Snapper)
2 Octopus
Numerous cod and Rock fish

This is just what they kept!!

Fine way to wrap up our first trip.
2nd trip is in town enjoying a few drinks before coming over to the Lodge.
Weather looks good, hopefully we can get them up on the Alaska border and slam some more Tyees. There is a large run up there and I want our guests to take advantage of it.

Jamie