Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2014, 03:50 PM

Default Kelowna kokanee

I am in Kelowna next week and was wondering if it is worth it to try for some kokanee. Any advice on techniques and location or any other lakes that would be worth a try. I have a boat with downriggers.
Thank you
Old 07-17-2014, 05:28 PM

Our Family rented a house on the shore out there a few years ago, about this time of year.

I have not had trouble putting lots of rainbows and kokanees in the boat when I fish other lakes like Kootenay - so I know I'm not a complete moron - lol.

I fished the lake hard (maybe 20 hours ) and hooked only a handful of kokanee and rainbows - so take my advice with a grain of salt about this lake.

I used all the standard offerings - trolling an apex (hot pink 1.5"), 18" of flouro, behind a willow leaf (silver and pink) and a snubber in front. I ran a 2oz mooching sinker ahead of the snubber with a bead chain to my main line. That connected me on a few kokanee in late evening.

I hit 2 rainbows, one small (maybe 8") and the other maybe 16" on a rainbow apex 3" with a similar set up to above.

I also hooked a rainbow casting a kastmaster spoon off the dock one evening, of maybe 14" in size.

Other than that, it was tough. I tried downriggers, dipsy divers but had no luck down deep. It seemed the surface was the place to be despite marking fish at depths down 50 feet and deeper.

Of course, when trolling too slow, or casting from the dock, I had plenty of action from big fat Northern Pike Minnows ( locally refereed to as squaw fish ) with some up to 4lbs.

My daughter had a great time bait fishing for Pike Minnows from the dock and caught some nice ones.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:25 PM

Default Kelowna Kokanee

Thank you very much. Just wondering about down riggers or deep 6's to get down ?
Old 07-17-2014, 08:41 PM

Smile where to fish for kokanee

Here's all the information that you need, instead of repeating it all, go to "ifishBC", search for Kalamalka Lake, and read my reports from our trip from august 2013, if after reading those posts, if you give me an email address I would be able to send you all the pictures, remember these kokanee (3) were over ten pounds, which exceeds the world record of 9.7 lbs. cheers ... doyle
Old 07-17-2014, 09:14 PM

Default Kelowna Kokanee

Thank you. So how do we rig the tackle and your techniques. Should I send you a pm?
Old 07-17-2014, 09:30 PM

Default tackle and gear required for kalamalka lake

I have four emails with pictures and everything that is required (gear and technique), my email is doylejhansen@gmail.com, supply me your email and I will or I should say my wife will forward the same information that BC fisheries wanted last august ,,, cheers doyle ,,,,
Old 07-25-2014, 03:52 PM

Going out after the big ones! Here fishy fishy!

Fresh water salmon fishing at it's best...

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 07-25-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Going out after the big ones! Here fishy fishy!

Fresh water salmon fishing at it's best...

That looks like it came from a run from the ocean ! Is it worth going from shore or should i rent a boat somewhere? I want to try sometime when i head back to Vancouver (on the way) if i can.........
Old 07-25-2014, 07:44 PM

Wedding bands, red beads...and an earth worm....not a store bought night crawler...a garden earth worm. You can troll with a snap swivel and mono leader, or behind a willow leaf if you want to fish deeper.. KISS is how to catch kokanee Remember they have a pretty soft mouth so try not to horse them in.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
That looks like it came from a run from the ocean ! Is it worth going from shore or should i rent a boat somewhere? I want to try sometime when i head back to Vancouver (on the way) if i can.........
You'll need a boat... not much action from shore. Maybe some squafish and carp.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 07-25-2014, 11:07 PM

Tough fishing with this storm that blew through... not much biting. Put it a lot of time out there and so slow. Only the little guys biting too. Marking a lot of what I'm guessing are lakers in the 100-150 foot depth and they weren't biting either. The Cold Lake Lakers are so much easier to catch.