Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2012, 04:03 PM

Default " Idle No More"

I just caught the tag line on the CBC this Morning . It stated

that there would be " Idle No More " demonstrations across Canada

today . I thought great , a bunch of retired people protesting that they cant get a job because of their age. Cant get a raise in the CPP. I figured I would
head down there ..

Good thing my wife was home to straighten me out...on this one...

Not sure what to say on this one ,I think Sun News reported that
band chiefs make more money than our prime minister. I cant see
that being true ...can you... I just saw on cbc protestors picking up
signs in brand new cars .....cant be that tough out there ...

Squeeky wheel gets the grease ....I am waiting for the Canadian Tax Payers Federation to start calling rallies ...to give the tax payers perspective
on fiscal responsibility....

Now on Fox news I kinda get the idea that the revolution is near
and I am improperly armed....oh well merry Xmas-holiday
Old 12-21-2012, 05:38 PM

Getting sick of the 'hard done by' rhetoric.

They have far more access to funds, programs, grants, lands, etc. than all other Canadians. Yeah yeah, it's a complex problem. But most don't take advantage of what they have.

Saw some comments and interviews by the protestors and its nothing new.

Oh. And ibtl
Old 12-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Banned

My kids are treaty native. My ex was native. I learned my lesson, but still paying for it. When she wanted to make me suffer, and prevent me from being a father, she used the race card. Other then being born on a reserve, she never lived there. In fact she was raised by a good Ukrainian family. But as I have been told by many people, you can take the native from the reserve, but you can't take the reserve from the native. In her case, that is somewhat true. She is not a substance abuser, but she definitely has an entitlement complex, which is often the case with many from the reserve.

I may sound like a racist with this post, but as my lawyer pointed out to the courts, I am far from a racist, since I married a native woman, and I wanted to continue to raise my children. I have never talked badly about their culture, but am very good at pointing out what their culture is, not what it has become. Too many natives have forgot that.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
I just caught the tag line on the CBC this Morning . It stated

that there would be " Idle No More " demonstrations across Canada

today . I thought great , a bunch of retired people protesting that they cant get a job because of their age. Cant get a raise in the CPP. I figured I would
head down there ..

Good thing my wife was home to straighten me out...on this one...

Not sure what to say on this one ,I think Sun News reported that
band chiefs make more money than our prime minister. I cant see
that being true ...can you... I just saw on cbc protestors picking up
signs in brand new cars .....cant be that tough out there ...

Squeeky wheel gets the grease ....I am waiting for the Canadian Tax Payers Federation to start calling rallies ...to give the tax payers perspective
on fiscal responsibility....

Now on Fox news I kinda get the idea that the revolution is near
and I am improperly armed....oh well merry Xmas-holiday

I bet there are more non native executives making more money than our PM too....what's your point? You think it's not right for an Indian to make big money?? ;-)
Old 12-21-2012, 06:41 PM

This will be the first time alot of these folks have even shifted out of idle....

I kid.... I kid....

LC
Old 12-21-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
I bet there are more non native executives making more money than our PM too....what's your point? You think it's not right for an Indian to make big money?? ;-)
yes I'm sure that's exactly what he meant.

Perhaps he is referring to the fact that the dispersal of funds throughout the community might be a bit of a problem? Because if that detail of income is a fact, it would prove that its not a hard life for all as it is portrayed by some....
Old 12-21-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane View Post
yes I'm sure that's exactly what he meant.

Perhaps he is referring to the fact that the dispersal of funds throughout the community might be a bit of a problem? Because if that detail of income is a fact, it would prove that its not a hard life for all as it is portrayed by some....
Chief Louie makes good money, so does the chief of the Okanogan band...why should they disperse their income? Your suggesting that people think natives should be communists? How absurd.

Native communities have rich, middle class and poor people the same as any community. On a per capita basis they have more poor than other identifiable groups.....if you think it's portrayed as a 'hard life for all' your views are skewed.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Chief Louie makes good money, so does the chief of the Okanogan band...why should they disperse their income? Your suggesting that people think natives should be communists? How absurd.

Native communities have rich, middle class and poor people the same as any community. On a per capita basis they have more poor than other identifiable groups.....if you think it's portrayed as a 'hard life for all' your views are skewed.
I am not stating that I personally feel they all have it rough, far from it in fact.
However that is an opinion that has been expressed to me by members of local reserves that I have worked with.
Nor am I stating they do not have a right to earn their own decent pay.
I AM however expressing the fact that as you said, the bands happen to have a higher ratio of poor to wealthy.

It is not a problem that is exclusive to any identifiable group, but it is a problem that has been identified before. The problem I am referring to is more money making its way towards the pockets and specific interests of a select few, instead of being put to use towards the general health and living situation of the community as a whole.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:

On a per capita basis Indian chiefs are the highest paid politicians in Canada.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:21 PM

Maybe the Iranians could help.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:27 PM

Default Politically correct

I was trying to stay on the right side of political correctness....

I think this allergy to any kind of transparency or financial review when it comes

to the use of our tax dollars ....is pretty smelly....

Its all political and likely very illegal.....you know if it quacks

shoot it ...no i mean its likely a duck.....
Old 12-21-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane View Post
I am not stating that I personally feel they all have it rough, far from it in fact.
However that is an opinion that has been expressed to me by members of local reserves that I have worked with.
Nor am I stating they do not have a right to earn their own decent pay.
I AM however expressing the fact that as you said, the bands happen to have a higher ratio of poor to wealthy.

It is not a problem that is exclusive to any identifiable group, but it is a problem that has been identified before. The problem I am referring to is more money making its way towards the pockets and specific interests of a select few, instead of being put to use towards the general health and living situation of the community as a whole.

And that probably has a lot to do with how the contribution agreements are written. By the time they account for administration, MERCs, equipment rentals, insurance etc....there is a minimal amount left to trickle down from the amounts provided by the agreements.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
I was trying to stay on the right side of political correctness....

I think this allergy to any kind of transparency or financial review when it comes

to the use of our tax dollars ....is pretty smelly....

Its all political and likely very illegal.....you know if it quacks

shoot it ...no i mean its likely a duck.....

The Feds and provinces that write the checks have accountants that oversee everything....so the question is why won't they reveal what's happening?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
My kids are treaty native. My ex was native. I learned my lesson, but still paying for it. When she wanted to make me suffer, and prevent me from being a father, she used the race card. Other then being born on a reserve, she never lived there. In fact she was raised by a good Ukrainian family. But as I have been told by many people, you can take the native from the reserve, but you can't take the reserve from the native. In her case, that is somewhat true. She is not a substance abuser, but she definitely has an entitlement complex, which is often the case with many from the reserve.

I may sound like a racist with this post, but as my lawyer pointed out to the courts, I am far from a racist, since I married a native woman, and I wanted to continue to raise my children. I have never talked badly about their culture, but am very good at pointing out what their culture is, not what it has become. Too many natives have forgot that.
I usually like what you got to say rwm. But I just can't sit on that. I know you had a bad experience and I know you love your kids. But I've met a lot of jerks that were from a reserve, ukaranian, polish, Heinz 57 etc. The majority of people from reserves are good people just wanna keep on moving. I know its easy to see the lazies and losers. Not so obvious are the hard workers and good people. I won't deny there is truth to every stereotype but to say you can't take the reserve out of the native is pure bunk. My .02 have a gooder
Old 12-21-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I have no problem with an indigenous Canadian making a potfull of cash, as long it is not on my tax dime. A good friend, native, is a multimillionaire, through hard work, not expecting something for nothing, and just plain smarts and seat of the ass good sense!! Does Chief Louis come to mind? I guess that is why BC(bring cash) is so bending to their every whim & wish. Perhaps you should give your cash to the nearest rez, and thank them very much for not giving you an accounting of where it went.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebuck View Post
I have no problem with an indigenous Canadian making a potfull of cash, as long it is not on my tax dime. A good friend, native, is a multimillionaire, through hard work, not expecting something for nothing, and just plain smarts and seat of the ass good sense!! Does Chief Louis come to mind? I guess that is why BC(bring cash) is so bending to their every whim & wish. Perhaps you should give your cash to the nearest rez, and thank them very much for not giving you an accounting of where it went.

To back and read post #13.....if you want an accounting make a request under freedom of information. It's just far easier to make unsubstantiated accusations than it is to seek out the facts.....

On another tangent....who says its your tax dime?? Goverments, federal-provincial-municipal, collect taxes from individuals, from corporations, from value added taxes, from royalties on resources and from export taxes. (to name a few). We commonly refer to the government as the 'Crown'. You understand that the property of the 'Crown' is the property of the citizens of this country and as such as Citizens of Canada monies distributed to First Nations is just giving them a portion of their share of the wealth being held by the Crown.
It's not YOUR dime, it's ours collectively. :-)
Old 12-22-2012, 04:51 AM

I want money from England because they I invaded my mothers home land! Or maybe it's the French that owe me because of the Norman conquest of 1066, but then again those guys were not French cues thy were Viking who had previously invaded France, or it could e the franks who took over France before that, or maybe I should chase the pope for my fair square. As te Romans ruled the world once!

So many to blame, so little time!
Old 12-22-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
I want money from England because they I invaded my mothers home land! Or maybe it's the French that owe me because of the Norman conquest of 1066, but then again those guys were not French cues thy were Viking who had previously invaded France, or it could e the franks who took over France before that, or maybe I should chase the pope for my fair square. As te Romans ruled the world once!

So many to blame, so little time!
Lol. yup. i want money too now that you mentioned it!
Old 12-22-2012, 06:23 AM

Lets just go back to the original agreement, where if your marry out or leave your resrervation the special status leaves with it.

You can thank the supreme court for keeping Canada for this mess. We are stuck with a 2 tier society and will be until everyone is treated equally despite their heritage. That will require what's happening right now a slow steady process of equalization being fought against by those who make their livelyhoods keeping us seperate.

I do like watching this on the news though. Seeing someone climb out of a lexus in a buisness suit and throw on a headress makes me think I should show up to work in a viking helmet and claim my ancestral right to build boats all day and pillage england.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:20 AM

Default Idle no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
Lets just go back to the original agreement, where if your marry out or leave your resrervation the special status leaves with it.

You can thank the supreme court for keeping Canada for this mess. We are stuck with a 2 tier society and will be until everyone is treated equally despite their heritage. That will require what's happening right now a slow steady process of equalization being fought against by those who make their livelyhoods keeping us seperate.

I do like watching this on the news though. Seeing someone climb out of a lexus in a buisness suit and throw on a headress makes me think I should show up to work in a viking helmet and claim my ancestral right to build boats all day and pillage england.
I think I'll show up for work in my kilt, sword and a bottle of Johnny Walker Red. On second thought, nah, to cold for the boyz. So I think I'll stay at home with Johnny and sharpen the blade. Now I got to think of a way to do that and make money at the same time.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:18 AM

Just watched a bit of the protest on the morning news.
The natives could do what All Canadains do in a Democracy...vote for a Government of your choice that represents your view of Canada. Elections are a few yrs away and I'm sure the NDP will promise them whatever ($$) they want.
Guess that's what they are doing, sorta. Drumming up support by ****ing off taxpayers (or the Crown, same pocket).
Old 12-22-2012, 08:48 AM

Whewwww, I thought someone was whining about me leaving the diesel running while I did my grocery shop again
Old 12-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Banned

Reading up on it on CBC, by the huge number of deleted comments below the story, I'd say that most Canadians are fed up with this crap from these folks.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:59 AM

Wow I hope the low flying planes don't take your touques off. This is a heck of a lot deeper than a Native rights issue. That's the smoke and mirror show the Government wants you to see. It has implications of impacting each and every one of you. Environmentally, socially and economically. Look to see how the Government needs to strip the environment protection away so the foreign cash can start and run their projects on time. Did you know that taxpayers money pays for the millions of dollars in performance bonds when projects don't meet foreign time agreements. Raping, plundering and pillaging
by our own Government. Political incest without a kiss?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Whewwww, I thought someone was whining about me leaving the diesel running while I did my grocery shop again
lol thats what i thought to

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 12-22-2012, 11:30 AM

To the OP and others that feel Treaty Nations should not be protesting components of Bill C-45.

Do you even know what they are protesting about?
Old 12-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
I usually like what you got to say rwm. But I just can't sit on that. I know you had a bad experience and I know you love your kids. But I've met a lot of jerks that were from a reserve, ukaranian, polish, Heinz 57 etc. The majority of people from reserves are good people just wanna keep on moving. I know its easy to see the lazies and losers. Not so obvious are the hard workers and good people. I won't deny there is truth to every stereotype but to say you can't take the reserve out of the native is pure bunk. My .02 have a gooder
Your right there are a lot of good people on reserves, and I know some pretty good people there too. I also know a lot that I wish I had eyes on the back of my head to keep watch of. Yes my statement was a stereotype, but like you say, has some truth. For me, it is the bad ones that have ruined it for the good ones, and sadly, it is those bad ones who also often come from the band leader's family, and then punish the good ones for being good. There is also another native term used, apple, red on the outside, white on the inside. The natives tend to pick on the ones who do good, and push them away. Perhaps that is the fault of the white man putting them onto reserves. My ancestors removed their way of life, but I still pay for it.

I have also spent some time in the arctic and have had some dealings with the native crowd up there. Again lots of good people, and some not so good. It is the bad ones I remember. Hard to come away with a good memory when your vehicle gets broken into, and your gas gets stolen regularly, and you are kept up all night by drunks outside your hotel window.

How do you explain the Attawapiskat videos last year? All these houses run down and nobody in them seemed to care about that, but expected the government to look after it for them. A drive through nearly any reserve, and you will see the same. Dilapidated cars spread about the yards, uncut grass, broken windows, graffiti, garbage. etc.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
To the OP and others that feel Treaty Nations should not be protesting components of Bill C-45.

Do you even know what they are protesting about?
A better question would be do those protesting fully know what they are protesting about?
Old 12-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post

I have no problem supporting the native who wants to hunt and fish. I have no problem giving education to the native who wants to go to school. I have a problem with the native who wants to hunt and fish and get drunk in the school I paid for, and then when they fail demand that I support them to go and do it again, and again, and then when they keep failing, blame me for their failure.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:52 AM

I have lived on a reserve in northern B.C. That was 35 years ago when the fishery was still good. All the natives in that village were hard workers and were out in their fishing boats working alot of the time. In fact when a season first opened alot of the older students were not in school but were out fishing. Now that the fishery is not so good I do not know how they are doing. But the point is that they all worked which surprised me coming from southern Alberta where they worked little. The government is crying that we do not have enough trained workers in CAnada right now. I had to move away from home and go to work to support myself so maybe a good solution would be to train these idle guys and put them to work. No more paycheck at the end of the month unless you have done some work to deserve it.