Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Just in case you've been eyeballing the big burn that crossed the Kootenay National Park highway last summer - Parks Canada has put up some signs ...

DSCN5863 by Andrew Whittick, on Flickr
Rode past that sign a couple hours ago coming back from invermere. That place would be the motherload!!!
Old 05-14-2018, 04:10 PM

Did a Morel run today. Starting to green up but ground temp. still bit to cold only 51 fer. in sunny open places. Found first ones last year on the 21st of May and April was a lot hotter last year. warm enough for the ticks lol.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:42 PM

found a few verpas tonight east of Edmonton in a low spot that was still quite wet. No morels to be seen yet.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:22 PM

15 minutes worth.....gotta love last years burns
Attached Images
File Type: jpg morels.jpg (79.3 KB, 126 views)
Old 05-16-2018, 12:09 AM

'Tis the season start by the looks of it.

Morel prices online are quite high. Around $40US a pound for fresh or $40US for 2 or 3 dried ounces.

I wonder if any AO members would want to buy morels? Fresh or freshly dried.
If I pick lots I would willing to sell some for $30CAN a lb fresh or $50CAN for 4 ounces (1/4 lb.) dried. 2 ounces of dried morels will rehydrate to 1 lb of mushrooms.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 05-16-2018 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:50 PM

Default Soon, real soon!

We went out Monday, all day. There were 3 of us: my brother, his girlfriend and myself. The girlfriend found 5 very small ones in the second location of 4 places we usually go to. Usually we see a few other species while we're looking for morels; didn't see any other kind, either. Saw lots of crocuses though! Lovely day!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:45 PM

Only a couple handfuls today. Going to be a couple more days.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-17-2018, 10:42 AM
Gone Hunting

I have never found more then a half dozen Morals in any one year, but I only recently learned about the effects of forest fires on these mushrooms.

So I'm wondering, I know the first year after a burn is the best but how long does the effect last?
Is it one year only or does it last for more then one year? Does each years harvest drop and if so by how much. In other words, how many years is the picking worth the effort?

I have no burns in my area but I will be going through burn areas in my travels throughout the spring.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-17-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I have never found more then a half dozen Morals in any one year, but I only recently learned about the effects of forest fires on these mushrooms.

So I'm wondering, I know the first year after a burn is the best but how long does the effect last?
Is it one year only or does it last for more then one year? Does each years harvest drop and if so by how much. In other words, how many years is the picking worth the effort?

I have no burns in my area but I will be going through burn areas in my travels throughout the spring.
I don't know much about picking the burn areas. Since you don't have burn areas... if anyone around there has a mixed bush quarter that cattle use there won't be much underbrush. Sometimes morels grow good in that kind of bush.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:11 PM
Banned

Went out for 3 hours today tried to teach the lab pup to sniff them out and found half a ice cream pail on my land on west antros road by breton. Only found 8 verpras the rest were all black morels all fresh not starting to dry up yet
Old 05-19-2018, 10:31 PM

Good to hear of your find Trophybook. I like the idea of training a dog find mushrooms and dropped antlers. The only problem is morels tend to be all over the forest floor. The Breton area is nice. I bet you have blueberries on your land too. You are from pigeon country. Lots of the bush around the lake has good potential for morels too.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:09 AM

I was out Friday morning east of Edmonton. (May long)

I found a few verpas as soon as we started looking, then we didn't find a single mushroom for the next hour with 4 of us looking.

So dry out there I could hear everyone's footsteps in the bush 50 yards away.

I'm going out again monday morning for another look in the same area, but I'm not too optimistic for that area this year...just too dry.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:02 PM

checked couple of my good spots the other day... nothing.. if we don't get rain next week season will be much done .
Old 05-21-2018, 07:03 PM

Looked around the last few days. Found a few verpas -- no morels.

Did get a pot of fiddleheads as a consolation though. They are just starting. Next weekend they will be out in full force.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 05-27-2018, 06:51 PM

Default Morrel

Was out to the lake found about a dozen blacks and they were in the campground the caterpillars are so bad that the bush is just alive.Its going to be hell again when these buggers cacoon.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I don't know much about picking the burn areas. Since you don't have burn areas... if anyone around there has a mixed bush quarter that cattle use there won't be much underbrush. Sometimes morels grow good in that kind of bush.
Lots of grazing lease land around, I'll try that.
Not much for cattle around aside from the grazing leases.

But I see a lot of burn areas in my travels. Went by at least six this week. Some as recent as this spring, some several years old and everything in between. But I have no idea where to start looking in a burn or how long after the fire.
With my health, I don't want to and probably couldn't do random searches until I figured it out.

On the plus side, we had a fantastic fishing trip. 2 - 24 pound Pike, one 18 pound Pike, four 16 to 17 pound Pike and so many around 15 pounds that we lost count.

I wish we had a week to spend up there. We saw more bunnies then I have seen in years and years, and there were some huge two year old burns close to camp. Not to mention tons of other interesting things to see and do.

Unfortunately some unethical southerners are making folks that live there angry so we may have to find a new place to fish in the next year or two.
Too bad, we've been going there for over thirty years without issues, but it is the way the world is in this modern connected enlightened age.

Now the wackos get to organize and encourage one another and spread their poison to the most remote places.

George Bernard Shaw