Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2018, 03:34 PM
Banned

Default Smoker question.

Looking at picking up an entry level smoker, in particular the 30” masterbuilt from cabelas. Do you guys recommend getting propane or electric?
Old 05-12-2018, 03:39 PM

Charcoal/wood is vastly superior to both.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:44 PM

I’m a Bradley fan.
With the electronic version or perhaps the newer PID(Bluetooth) model it’s like turning a rookie into a way better smoke master, as temps and wood feed is way simplified.

If you are gonna buy any smoker buy the biggest one they have, I curse my 4 rack Bradley, but the 6 racks didn’t exist when I bought mine. And it keeps running.

And go electric, you’ll know when you run outta electrons, unlike propane.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-12-2018, 03:55 PM

I have owned a few brands

Bradley can have serious issues keeping up to temp at times. The pucks are expensive.

Masterbuilt you use woodchips which are MUCH cheaper. I have found deals at walmart for 2 dollars for a bag of wood chips.
Masterbuilt also backs there product and have had excellent service and warranty dealings.

The masterbuilt thermo propane unit is pretty cool as it has a temperature regulator. The electrics are real nice to.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:39 PM

Bradleys work well when they work but 500 watts of heat isn't enough for Canada period. I have replaced the micro switch's on the feeder twice and most recently a fusible link hidden behind the temperature sensor. In both cases the parts were $3 shipping was $17

Propane has more heat but its harder to maintain a low temperature, bottom line if you want to smoke when it s cold go propane.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Bradleys work well when they work but 500 watts of heat isn't enough for Canada period. I have replaced the micro switch's on the feeder twice and most recently a fusible link hidden behind the temperature sensor. In both cases the parts were $3 shipping was $17

Propane has more heat but its harder to maintain a low temperature, bottom line if you want to smoke when it s cold go propane.
All you gotta do with your Bradley is be smarter than a fifth grader.

-25C and it will get up to 225F in about 35mins.

This retro is less than $15 to accomplish.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-12-2018, 05:15 PM

I've got a Bradley set up in my garage, chimney out the window and no issues with the temp control.
But, if it's outdoors, a slight breeze in cooler weather will be too much for it.
I like to smoke a turkey for Christmas, so it's gotta be indoors if you want to have any chance of that.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
All you gotta do with your Bradley is be smarter than a fifth grader.

-25C and it will get up to 225F in about 35mins.

This retro is less than $15 to accomplish.
?smart 5th graders don't spend $500 on a product they need to modify to make it work
BTW I have a double burner inside a wooden box to make it work in the cold rather than ab eyesore on my deck
Old 05-12-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
?smart 5th graders don't spend $500 on a product they need to modify to make it work
BTW I have a double burner inside a wooden box to make it work in the cold rather than ab eyesore on my deck
Beauty is in the fixings my man.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-12-2018, 05:54 PM
Banned

what makes Bradley’s so special? I was in store today and nearly crapped myself when I seen the price they want for pucks.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223MB View Post
what makes Bradley’s so special? I was in store today and nearly crapped myself when I seen the price they want for pucks.
As close as hands off smoking, it makes a rookie look like a pro, because the heat, and the smoke are very controlled.

Ya the pucks aren’t cheap, but you burn the pucks at 1 puck very 20 mins, it’s hard to waste any.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-12-2018, 06:10 PM

Pit Barrell Cooker. Google it. I got one last year.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:48 PM

I’ve had a Masterbuilt electric for a few years now. Done roasts, ribs, chicken, made tons of jerky. Enjoy the cheap wood chips, and the easy electronics. Set the temp and time and done. Never had any issues keeping a certain temp any time of year.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:10 PM

I have a Masterbuilt 40" electric smoker. It's designed to use wood chips, which I sometimes will do. However most often I use an A-MAZE-N-TUBE smoker with pellets. I turn on the smoker, let it heat up, and then light up the tube smoker for about 8 minutes to get the pellets burning, and then once it's smoking well I extinguish the flame and place the tube inside the smoker down near the bottom. It'll produce smoke for 4 or 5 hours straight, if I want it going that long.

I like the convenience of an electric smoker, and I recommend it!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I've used it in windy -25°C weather, and it heated and kept its temperature well. It took a bit longer to heat up than in summer, but nothing too dramatic.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:16 PM

I started with a propane smoker. Turned out some pretty good meals. I upgraded to a Weber Smoky Mountain charcoal smoker and it is awesome. I’ve been using it for 2 years now and love it. Make some amazing smoked food and getting lots of compliments on the quality. Really want to try my hand in the competition ring but I just don’t have the time.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Ive seen a bunch of the comp guys are using them. Going the hot and fast route rather than the traditional low and slow. Gateway Drum smokers seem to be the brand everyone is using.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinisgood View Post
I’ve had a Masterbuilt electric for a few years now. Done roasts, ribs, chicken, made tons of jerky. Enjoy the cheap wood chips, and the easy electronics. Set the temp and time and done. Never had any issues keeping a certain temp any time of year.
X2
Old 05-12-2018, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I do have an endless supply of 55gal metal drums from my work. Might be a summer project!
Old 05-12-2018, 10:43 PM

Was looking at a propane smoker last year and ended up with a killer deal on a 40” masterbuilt. It has a remote and for the most part fire and forget. Once I set it up I can check temp change it change the time etc and checking the meats internal temp. I am far from a pro but have made some tasty meals out of it. So much to learn.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:27 AM

I have the Masterbuilt electric smoker and I am happy with it. It will make temps at -30 outside. It is digital, set the timer, set the temperature and smoke. It has a tray on the side you pull out and add chips and push back in, so you're not opening the main door to add chips.

Actually this is my second one, I got about 8 years from my first one, didn't see any need to change, I bought another one.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:16 AM

A big green egg or Kamado with a barbeque guru works fantastic. Too bad they're so pricey. The good thing is you can do a lot more than just smoke with them.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I have the Masterbuilt electric smoker and I am happy with it. It will make temps at -30 outside. It is digital, set the timer, set the temperature and smoke. It has a tray on the side you pull out and add chips and push back in, so you're not opening the main door to add chips.

Actually this is my second one, I got about 8 years from my first one, didn't see any need to change, I bought another one.
Which model in particular did you pick up?
Old 05-13-2018, 08:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
A big green egg or Kamado with a barbeque guru works fantastic. Too bad they're so pricey. The good thing is you can do a lot more than just smoke with them.
I seen those at the store and they sure look like a well made unit.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
Charcoal/wood is vastly superior to both.
For you!!!!
You may like them, others want to do more than baby sit a smoker all day and night in some cases. To each their own but vastly superior is simple not true. Vastly different is more like it. Exactly the same differences between a wood burning cook stove and an electric and we all know why there is no wood burning stoves in homes anymore.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:53 PM
Banned

For those running smokers with the expensive pucks, ever consider making your own? Lots of people do, and for pennies on the dollar. There are recipes and how to's online.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
For those running smokers with the expensive pucks, ever consider making your own? Lots of people do, and for pennies on the dollar. There are recipes and how to's online.
The cost of the pucks is SFA compared to the cuts of meat, and the time invested in perpetration of the table fare.

I’ll invest myself elsewhere me thinks.

“Cheap Charlie’s” are everywhere, tripping over loonies to pick up dimes.

If you can’t afford $6.00 worth of pucks to smoke a $80 prime rib, I’d say you’ve got it bassackwards.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-13-2018, 01:13 PM

I started decades ago ago with a "Little Chief Smoker" and it is still doing its job to this day. If it is too windy or cold, just throw a canvas tarp over it and it holds the heat fine. I put in a remote read temp and humidity gauge, enclosed in a bean can to protect it from the smoke and fat build up. The electric heater will accept chips or pucks in a pan and the heat is adjustable, but not remotely, you have to actually move the switch by hand.

I have looked at the Bradley's and Mastercrafts and they seem like a little better built version of what I have but man they are a lot of money for not much. I would be inclined to make one from two barrels, one inside the other for heat retention, or the old standard, a used fridge. You can buy the remote adjustable heater, gas or electric and temp sensor pretty cheap, the rest is just a housing for the racks.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
The cost of the pucks is SFA compared to the cuts of meat, and the time invested in perpetration of the table fare.

I’ll invest myself elsewhere me thinks.

“Cheap Charlie’s” are everywhere, tripping over loonies to pick up dimes.

If you can’t afford $6.00 worth of pucks to smoke a $80 prime rib, I’d say you’ve got it bassackwards.
I am with you Dick. An eighty dollar prime rib in a Bradley makes no sense at all.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I am with you Dick. An eighty dollar prime rib in a Bradley makes no sense at all.
It does to me and my guests.

Run along now.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-13-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
I rarely use pucks anymore, I use the A-maze-n -smoker tube with True North Wood Bits the 12" unit burns for at least 6 hours.

Applewood smoked bacon anyone?

[IMG][/IMG]