Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-24-2014, 11:12 PM

Default Battle Lake

Have been ice fishing Battle Lake almost exclusively this year. With a few trips to a few others around the Edson area.
Have had fairly decent luck with Pike, although nothing to rave over. Last few trips I've been looking for Perch and Whitefish, more so the latter. Have managed one small Perch so far. Have yet to see a single white. Disappointing as the season is coming to a close here next week. But I've enjoyed many days out there. My favorite being March 9th, wonderful weather, fished in my tent wearing just a t-shirt. Landed several Pike. While dragging my sled down the center of the lake I had a small bit of thunder overhead, and a little bit of rain came down. The day ended for me when the wind picked up and keeping my tent down on the ice became more than challenging. Attempted to fish with no tent, but the wind just wasn't letting off for me so I finally called it and started to head back to the boat launch. This where I felt like kicking myself. I was probably a good 400/500 yards SE of the 4H center. Between the weight of my sled and the walk back I was completely gassed when I finally got to my truck!
Will have to return to the lake in the summer and target the whitefish and perch in open water season to nail down just where they might be hiding and will, with any luck have a better idea of where to find them.
Is there any pointers anyone can offer on where to look for the Whites/ Perch? I'm not asking for locations on the lake, but rather should I be fishing near weed beds this late in the year or focusing my search in deeper water etc. I know Battle is a hard nut to crack, as I've fished it during open water season for the past three years and only enjoying notable success last year.
Incidentally this is my first year really ice fishing and its safe to say I've caught the bug.

Will leave you folks with a photo I took at 8-9 AM.

RP
Old 03-25-2014, 01:57 AM

Crap, looks like the lake caught smallpox...
Old 03-25-2014, 02:25 AM

Default Battle lake.

PM Sent

Last edited by Artist; 03-25-2014 at 02:36 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:08 AM

Perch are all 4-6" in Battle and starting to get low in numbers again due to the explosion of small pike. The whites are also low in numbers mostly from the nets present all winter for the last several years. Used to catch whites along the pencil grass in a few areas but haven't seen any for a couple seasons. Watched a net come out last year full of whites and walleye near the campground, it gets set again after every pull. Battle isn't big enough to sustain that kind of removal time after time all winter.

WC
Old 03-25-2014, 05:03 PM

Default Battle Lake

Gorgeous Lake , slowly dying , nobody should be netting that lake and i mean nobody, the lake is small and cannot handle it , posted about this from years ago , sounds like it is still happening ? What a shame.