Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-13-2009, 06:02 PM

Default Electronic calls

I have heard that these are now legal in Alberta. I was with a snow goose outfitter in the fall and he was using one, and a guy that I know sells the electronic coyote call told me that they are now legal in Alberta.
I saw here somewhere that some one thinks it is still Illegal?
thanks FS
Old 01-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Gone Hunting

They are legal this year for snow geese.
I expect that to be expanded next season to include predators, but at this time they are NOT legal for predators in Alberta.

Nearly every where else in the free world allows them and w will catch up soon.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Gone Hunting

The AF&GA had a resolution to alow e-calls for preditors a few years back. It passed the conference I believe but I don't remember what SRd's responce to it was.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:29 AM

More crap to buy and pack... I'm not violently opposed to e-calls, but not chomping at the bit to see them come here either. I sorta like trying to master calls myself. Just one more thing to learn and enjoy.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
More crap to buy and pack... I'm not violently opposed to e-calls, but not chomping at the bit to see them come here either. I sorta like trying to master calls myself. Just one more thing to learn and enjoy.
x2
Old 01-15-2009, 01:48 PM

Snow geese for sure!!!!!

We used an e-caller for Snow's this season and here are a few things we learned along the way:

You can only use snow geese decoys in the spread while the electonic caller is in the field. The e-caller can make any sound variation you choose (cacclers, honkers or a massive gaggle of snow's, whatever you want).

Because the "Blue Goose" is a morphed Snow Goose, you can use dark geese in your spread as long as they resemble the snow in blue colour phase. You can not lay out 3 hundred honker big foots and call them "Blues".

We did have 3 dozen "blue Goose" full bodies, and we found if we clustered the dark decoys together in the middle of the spread (close to the kill hole), we were pulling tonnes of "Specks" and Canada's, from the snow goose only spread, with the e-caller blareing.

This additional advantage will harvest more birds for the next couple of seasons likely and is as effective as the MOJO.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot rocket View Post

We did have 3 dozen "blue Goose" full bodies, and we found if we clustered the dark decoys together in the middle of the spread (close to the kill hole), we were pulling tonnes of "Specks" and Canada's, from the snow goose only spread, with the e-caller blareing.
Soooo, if you are using the e-call ostensibly for snow goose hunting, can you legally shoot any Canada's lured in?
Old 01-15-2009, 02:46 PM

Okotokian:

Yes!!!

Confirmed by the Fish and Wildlife office in Oyen, October, 2008.

We harvested a full limit of ducks and specks and half limit of Canada's on several occasions over the Snow- E - Caller Set-Up.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot rocket View Post
Because the "Blue Goose" is a morphed Snow Goose, you can use dark geese in your spread as long as they resemble the snow in blue colour phase. You can not lay out 3 hundred honker big foots and call them "Blues".
I'm not too sure about this one... The law says, you can only use 'snow goose' decoys. Blues are 'snow geese' so YES you can use blue goose decoys but there is nothing that says you can use speck or Canada decoys and just pretend they are blues...

Do you get many blues in your area or is it mostly (white phase) snows and Ross?

I've used an E-caller quite extensively on snows in SK and in the States, and yes they do work, but no, they are not some magic trick. A few days in the past 2 season I didn't use it and the difference in the way the birds reacted was not even noticeable. Generally I don't hunt without it, but I think the past few years it's more of a confidence thing than anything. Certain days, certain conditions, I'd be screwed without it, though.

An Ecaller is a handy tool to have on a snow goose hunt, but I would have to say that calling it a MOJO is a real stretch...
Old 01-15-2009, 07:34 PM

If you use an electric call for snow geese, you can only decoy with snow geese.

And as of yesterday, electric calls are still illegal for other game. I checked with F&W head office.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Soooo, if you are using the e-call ostensibly for snow goose hunting, can you legally shoot any Canada's lured in?
Quote:
Okotokian:

Yes!!!

Confirmed by the Fish and Wildlife office in Oyen, October, 2008.

We harvested a full limit of ducks and specks and half limit of Canada's on several occasions over the Snow- E - Caller Set-Up.
Soooo, you should also be able to shoot coyotes coming in too?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:07 PM

I prefer mouth calls , be they for coyotes, bears, deer, ducks, whatever.
it's part of the fun for me......
Cat
Old 01-15-2009, 09:31 PM

i can't wait till were allowed use e-callers for predators. go to gofoxpro.com and look at the amount of different wolf howls and coyote vocalization. not that im gonna give up my hand calls just these will be a little more realistic. I wonder if they will ever permit night hunting for predators, like they have in the dakotas and minnasota, probley won't ever happen but would be nice. I have called in coyotes 300 yards from the truck on moonlight nights when just howling to locate them
Old 01-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-06rem.model700 View Post
I wonder if they will ever permit night hunting for predators, like they have in the dakotas and minnasota, probley won't ever happen but would be nice. I have called in coyotes 300 yards from the truck on moonlight nights when just howling to locate them
Good call on the night hunting. I'm not a fan of electronic calls though. Takes away the thrill of the "call". Pressing play takes no skill and isn't much of a sport.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:00 AM

And some people say looking through a scope and pulling a trigger takes no skill and is unfair to the game animal. A call is a call is a call. They all fool the animals senses but it still isn't a fer sure thing. When Alberta finally legalizes e-calls for predators you can bet I'll be putting a scorpion in my pack. I carry enough gear around chasing yotes whats one more.

ruger300
Old 01-16-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post
I'm not too sure about this one... The law says, you can only use 'snow goose' decoys. Blues are 'snow geese' so YES you can use blue goose decoys but there is nothing that says you can use speck or Canada decoys and just pretend they are blues...

Do you get many blues in your area or is it mostly (white phase) snows and Ross?

I've used an E-caller quite extensively on snows in SK and in the States, and yes they do work, but no, they are not some magic trick. A few days in the past 2 season I didn't use it and the difference in the way the birds reacted was not even noticeable. Generally I don't hunt without it, but I think the past few years it's more of a confidence thing than anything. Certain days, certain conditions, I'd be screwed without it, though.

An Ecaller is a handy tool to have on a snow goose hunt, but I would have to say that calling it a MOJO is a real stretch...

My apologies, I must have not been clear in my original message: we only use dark goose decoys that are "blue geese" and not specks or Canada's. The point was, blue goose decoys clustered together appear like dark geese (specks - Canada's) from 30 yards plus and do work at bringing in various species of water fowl besides just lesser snow geese and Ross geese.

And yes, you can shoot whatever the hell decoys to the spread with an e-caller.

Certainly Snow Geese are familiar with e-callers, but mostly in the spring during their northern migration, this new advantage in the Canadian flyway during fall is a new trick to the Snow Goose, and will increase harvest...... temporarily. This species of waterfowl adapts and evolves to hunting pressure like non other in this continent.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:33 PM

"I wonder if they will ever permit night hunting for predators, like they have in the dakotas and minnasota, probley won't ever happen but would be nice. I have called in coyotes 300 yards from the truck on moonlight nights when just howling to locate them"[/QUOTE]

This would be a problem. If everyone was honest and was really doing this it would be fine but unfortunately every poacher (criminal) in the country would just say they were out looking for predators when they're stopped at night with their rifle.

Same old story.....a few criminals would ruin it for the rest of us.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:26 PM

the main advantige with the Ecall is that the sound would be comming from the decoys.