Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2021, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
Why is it that Know-It-Alls don't know how annoying they are?

well midgetwaiter, If I knew everything, then I certainly would know what kind of revolver it was correct? So there are lots of things I do not know!

What is this, pick on the new guy hour? lol

Cheers N40
Old 12-02-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
That is a mag.

This is a clip

Yes correct. However the general populace refer to them as clip just as much a magazine if not more. But you are correct.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
Exactly my point! What I meant by double action is that you have to pull the hammer back then pull the Trigger. If he was handed the revolver, with the hammer pulled back and didn't check it, he is dumber than I thought, which is really, really, really DUMB lol
You know nothing Jon Snow.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
well midgetwaiter, If I knew everything, then I certainly would know what kind of revolver it was correct? So there are lots of things I do not know!

What is this, pick on the new guy hour? lol

Cheers N40
It isn't about picking on the new guy. Several of us have politely (I thought) pointed out your error. You could take that correction and educate yourself, and be more knowledgeable as a firearms owner. Instead, you doubled down, and proudly declared you don't care that you are ignorant.

And that is a problem when you are too proud to allow yourself to be corrected, or to learn the topic. Education is a good thing.

One thing you got right though, the Python is a beautiful double action revolver. Speaking as somebody who owns a few, and has owned quite a few.

Don't double down on being wrong. It's ok to be wrong. Learn from it. There are many of us who would be happy to teach you, and we aren't being superior about it. It is genuinely our passion, and we have all taught and passed on our knowledge many times. I'd be happy to take you to the range, where we can use our handguns in Canada, and explain to you as much as you care to learn. TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-02-2021, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
You know nothing Jon Snow.
Not a dam thing!
Old 12-02-2021, 09:15 PM
Banned

........boy ken. you are right, but really splitting hairs over terminology.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
It isn't about picking on the new guy. Several of us have politely (I thought) pointed out your error. You could take that correction and educate yourself, and be more knowledgeable as a firearms owner. Instead, you doubled down, and proudly declared you don't care that you are ignorant.

And that is a problem when you are too proud to allow yourself to be corrected, or to learn the topic. Education is a good thing.

One thing you got right though, the Python is a beautiful double action revolver. Speaking as somebody who owns a few, and has owned quite a few.

Don't double down on being wrong. It's ok to be wrong. Learn from it. There are many of us who would be happy to teach you, and we aren't being superior about it. It is genuinely our passion, and we have all taught and passed on our knowledge many times. I'd be happy to take you to the range, where we can use our handguns in Canada, and explain to you as much as you care to learn. TC
My passion is also firearms, rifles, shotguns as well as Bows, please do not tell me that a bow isn't a firearm lol. I can talk circles around most people when it comes to the above.

Like I said I could care less about what type of revolver (because you can't use them in Canada) it was that the moron killed the innocent lady with and also shot the director.

You people sure love to nitpick! Geezeeeee
Old 12-02-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
My passion is also firearms, rifles, shotguns as well as Bows, please do not tell me that a bow isn't a firearm lol. I can talk circles around most people when it comes to the above.

Like I said I could care less about what type of revolver (because you can't use them in Canada) it was that the moron killed the innocent lady with and also shot the director.

Since when can't you use revolvers in Canada?
Old 12-02-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:

And you tripled down about not caring. I withdraw my offer. You obviously know as much as you ever will.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-02-2021, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Since when can't you use revolvers in Canada?
Sure you can own a handgun in Canada, but as far as I know, you can not carry one in the bush as a defensive weapon against bears, so I do not need one. For all intensive purposes, our government has rendered them usless for all practical purposes and their original intent. Do I like it, NO!

Also, I am not prepared to jump through hoops to own one so I can go and shoot targets.

That is just me, I can see how other people are into that sort of thing and I say God Bless them and have at'er, but it does not interest me in the least.

Cheers N40
Old 12-02-2021, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Fact be known, I do not need to research handguns because you cant use them in Canada, so they are not practical for my uses.

Personally, when I am bow hunting or fishing in bear country I have a defender strapped to my back with 2 - 3" magnum Hi Shock Slugs followed by 3 SSG rounds, and my system does way more damage than a handgun will ever do.

I will let the handgun experts study them until they are silly and all have PhD's on the subject, it is of no interest to me.

Now if I lived in the USA I would own several and one of them would definitely be a Colt Python 357 Magnum because they are so purddy!

And that is a fact

I have a purddy 357 Colt Python like the one pictured. And as far as I can remember about a week ago I was at the range punching some holes and making noise. I fired 50 rounds in that revolver while letting the barrels on the two rifles I was sighting in cool down. I'm not allowed in the US so as far as I know I was in Canada.

Then last Saturday, I purchased another revolver, which I'll be picking up on Monday. And yep I'm gonna shoot it.

And if you think that Colt Python is purddy.... Woooweeee you should see my other one.

No TC you can't have it back

Sent from my BAH2-W19 using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2021, 10:26 PM

Yeah, that was a beauty for sure. Glad it went to a good home.

Old 12-02-2021, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I have a purddy 357 Colt Python like the one pictured. And as far as I can remember about a week ago I was at the range punching some holes and making noise. I fired 50 rounds in that revolver while letting the barrels on the two rifles I was sighting in cool down. I'm not allowed in the US so as far as I know I was in Canada.

Then last Saturday, I purchased another revolver, which I'll be picking up on Monday. And yep I'm gonna shoot it.

And if you think that Colt Python is purddy.... Woooweeee you should see my other one.

No TC you can't have it back

Sent from my BAH2-W19 using Tapatalk
Yes, they are PURDDY, I used to shoot one years ago, IT WAS A BLAST, before all of the government neurosis about handguns.

The fact is YOU CAN NOT USE IT AS A DEFENSIVE WEAPON AND THAT IS WHAT IT WAS DESIGNED FOR, SO THEY DO NOT INTEREST ME!

If I lived in the USA, I would have one under my two goose feather pillows, especially if I lived in Chicago, Wisconsin, or Portland.

One of my ALL TIME favorite songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NuX79Ud8zI

Cheers N40
Old 12-02-2021, 10:38 PM

What do you think of huskemaw scopes?
Old 12-02-2021, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Never used one, I like my Swarovski Optik Z5 3.5-18X44 P though.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Man I shot a lot of pie plates when I had my Huskemaw.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:50 PM

Quote:

Actually a person carry a sidearm in the bush in Canada under certain conditions and if you were able to talk circles around people about firearms you would know that.
Cat
Old 12-02-2021, 10:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Actually a person carry a sidearm in the bush in Canada under certain conditions and if you were able to talk circles around people about firearms you would know that.
Cat
I believe that under certain conditions Trappers can use them. Not sure though, like I said I carry a defender, better option for bears in my opinion.

I said I can talk about rifles, shotguns and bows all day long, however, as it is obvious I do not know much about handguns. I have only fired a few many years ago.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post

Ok, you win today, gold star coming your way bud!

Old 12-02-2021, 11:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
LOL! Was thinking the same thing earlier!
Old 12-03-2021, 12:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That is clearly a single action. Only way it fires is if he manually cocks hammer back, and manually squeezes the trigger. Amazing he did neither of those things, and didn't aim it at anyone, yet managed to kill one person *AND* strike the person behind them. That's a hell of a lot of unlikely things happening in one event.
I'm not so sure about that now that more information is available.

from: https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...ry?id=81490389

Quote:
“I cock the gun. I go, ‘Can you see that? Can you see that? Can you see that?’” Baldwin said. “And then I let go of the hammer of the gun, and the gun goes off. I let go of the hammer of the gun, the gun goes off.”

“So, you never pulled the trigger?” Stephanopoulos asked.

“No, no, no, no, no,” Baldwin said. “I would never point a gun at anyone and pull a trigger at them.”

Torraco, Halls’ attorney, corroborated Baldwin’s account on Thursday, saying Halls told her “from day one” that he was watching from three or four feet away and “the entire time Baldwin had his finger outside the trigger guard parallel to the barrel … that Alec did not pull that trigger."
On a contemporary revolver I agree no way that happens. Things like transfer bars and hammer blocks designed to keep that from happening have been around for a long time but I haven't been able to find out exactly what model of pistol he was using. It's totally possible they had an antique pistol that would fire in that circumstance, I'm pretty sure an original Colt SAA would. Even something with a safety notch could have failed.

Now does that absolve him? No I don't think so, if it's in your hand it's your fault. However I think it may be true that him dropping that hammer was the last in a long line of screw ups that all contributed.

Last edited by midgetwaiter; 12-03-2021 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:28 AM

Yes, I suppose it is possible that he thumbed the hammer back but then let it go and it dropped firing the gun without the trigger being pulled. If he didn't thumb it all the way back, it may not have engage the hand/sear and locked it so when released the mainspring would have dropped the hammer and caused it to go off. I've seen old single actions where the trigger was entirely removed and the only way to fire it was like that, thumbing hammer back and dropping it.

But he still fired the gun then, whether he pulled the trigger or not, it didn't go off by itself. And he definitely had it pointed at people or it wouldn't have hit them. Regardless there were a series of things that happened, from the ammo being in the gun, to him killing the director.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-03-2021 at 05:45 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:07 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Hmmm. So are those Colt pythons single action or double action?
Well what I a man gathering from this thread to date....depends....question....does the mag go into the bottom of the grip

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-03-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Offhand at 500m?

Quote:
LOL! Was thinking the same thing earlier!
As was I .
Old 12-03-2021, 06:58 AM

Of course Elk. Nothing better than free handing pie plates at 500.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:26 AM

Interesting Baldwin did cock the gun

“And then I let go of the hammer of the gun, and the gun goes off. I let go of the hammer of the gun, the gun goes off.”

It is possible Baldwin was given a fanning or slip gun, a pistol set up to fire without using the trigger used in movies and trick shooting by holding in one hand and "fanning" the hammer with the other.

If Baldwin's going for a malfunction defense a firearm expert will closely examine the pistol as for not pointing it a people how else would he have hit anyone.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
Why is it that Know-It-Alls don't know how annoying they are?

Old 12-03-2021, 08:56 AM

Just for the record I have a ATC and can carry my 357 magnum hand gun in the bush in Canada/Alberta. You stand corrected!
Old 12-03-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Offhand at 500m?
Sure if you can knock the rams down at 500, you can get the odd pie plate too
Old 12-03-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Not to re-open the past, but is this written correctly?