Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-16-2024, 08:28 AM

Default atv in remote camps

Been quite a while since I’ve posted on here

I just recently acquired an older Yamaha big bear atv and im currently going through the motions of making sure its bullet proof for the trips I want to do in the future.

Living up in the Cold Lake area, I have close access to remote lakes in both the Saskatchewan and Alberta side.
Ive been dreaming of getting a group together and going up into northern Saskatchewan and getting into some remote lakes.

The logistics seem to be the most fun part of all this for me as it seems to be consuming my thoughts ha!

Has anyone done trips like what im thinking of? And if so any opinions on boat preferences?

I have an 8’ soft bottom zodiac with a 4.5hp Evinrude. I don’t have a lot of experience with these inflatable boats and am slightly concerned about smoking a rock shoal while at a remote lake and tearing the bottom out of it.

Definitely wont be going far or fast with this setup so im thinking of moving into a 12 to 16’ aluminum with a 10 to 20hp outboard however will definitely loose a lot of the portability.

Id love to hear some of your trip stories along with some tips you’ve come up with along the way.

looking at atv fishing lodges as well!

fish on everyone
Old 02-16-2024, 01:23 PM

I'd check out Forrest lake outfitters in northern sask. It's an area with dozens and dozens of atv in lakes. I'd stick with a 14' with a 15 hp. That way you don't sacrifice all the portability. However the lodge has options for atv in and you don't need a boat I believe. The boats are supplied by the lodge
Old 02-19-2024, 07:32 AM

i like Forrest lake outfitters, and that is one outfitter i plan on contacting.
however would love a situation where you quad into an outpost camp and you're the only cabin there with the very minimal necessities supplied such as fuel and boats.

I know of a few back in the day that operated like this in Ontario but maybe the'yre just more accessible. seems to be the majority of remote camps out here are fly-in only (not complaining as the fishing and adventure is just as amazing).

thanks for the tip on the inflatable vs the 14'.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:39 AM

Wouldn't your decision take into consideration how rough the atv trails would be? Seems to me that trailering a 12 to 16 foot boat wouldn't be ideal. A 12 foot tin boat is ok for 3 fishermen, is there a need for a 16 foot?

Maybe you could fab up a boat rack for the atv? That way you could pack a canoe or even a smaller 12 foot tin boat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ca068f6e0b985fdd58cad25177d2bdd5.jpg (51.2 KB, 65 views)
Old 02-20-2024, 02:52 PM

Off the beaten path lakes or rivers are my Go to

My current rig is a Polaris Ranger 6x6 The OE tough box and large cargo box for gives you a 6' span.
A 12' aluminum boat gunwales down fits just right with a 3" log or 2x4 across the back. In the past I have also used my old Argo as well with the boat mounted same way the shorter Argo box area makes it harder to mount and fasten down solo. Does allow one to access some lakes requiring deep creek fording, a guy can burn a lot of time building bridges one week then run into a dozen or more guys back there in the following weeks.

I have made 2 collapsible trailer's first with 24" ATV tires then one with 12" turf tires but found it more hassle than it was worth Sharp corners/turns ruts mud banks etc.