Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2024, 09:20 AM

Default Career Change - Mature Apprentice?

You fine folks have any advice for guy who's been in the work force for 20ish years looking to start in the trades? Tough to get a job as a mature apprentice?

I'm looking into the electrical trade specifically. I actually took a pre-employment course out of high school and wrote the 1st year exam. I changed gears before working in the field and have worked in an adjacent industry (communications) for most of my life.

My current job is ending at the end of the month and I've been seriously looking into getting my journeyman.

What's your story?
Old 03-16-2024, 09:26 AM

Did my electrical at age 50, but I already had another trade ticket, and 7 years in my role.

You have to be able to keep up with the young whipper snappers, and be a stalwart of mature thinking to sway a new employer, I know that employers aren’t supposed to judge hiring on age, but let’s face it, they look at older guys trying to apprentice as a poor return on their investment, and of course they see a ticking time bomb for a WCB claims too(it’s wrong but it’s reality)

I wish you luck.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-16-2024, 09:26 AM

From what i have seen over the last 3 years you should have no problem getting in. First year apprentices are like gold right now, you cant find them anywhere and the ones you do get usually aren't of the highest quality.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:48 AM

Been in my trade for 18 years. Started my apprenticeship at 38. Do not be discouraged by age. I had no previous trade qualifications.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:55 AM

Was over 40 when I did my electrical journeyman ( now retired ) It was tough to get in, but these days maturity and work ethic probably count more than a lot of other things! Keep the head down, butt up and give er!!! Best of luck!!
Old 03-16-2024, 10:05 AM

20 years working would make you less than 40. Still got a lot of working years in you. I know there is a big shortage of good trades people. My nephew runs large crews in B.C. and Alberta, finding qualified tradesman is hard, getting the good ones to stay more than a few months is even harder because someone is always stealing his best folks.

The idea that older workers are a liability may well be the view of some, but it is not everyone. My nephew would hire a whole crew of 40 year olds if he could get them, the 20 year olds miss half their days because they are hung over and a bunch more days with low output for the same reason. Keeping up to the young guys isn't usually a problem.

The City of Edm was looking for apprentice electricians a couple of weeks ago. Another area that is growing fast Electric Vehicle repair, which might be easier on the body than regular electrical work. Should not take you long talking to prospective employers to find out how hard it will be to get an apprenticeship role in your locale.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-16-2024 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-16-2024, 02:05 PM

I did my electrical apprenticeship starting at the age of 50. i came up through the maintenance side (Millwrighting), so no heavy hauling conduit or cabling, typical of construction. It's been all controls, PLCs, troubleshooting. Good math skills are a requirement to get through code. I challenged the first 3 years, then took the 4th at SAIT, because I had to have at least one school session, and I wouldn't have been able to conquer code without it.

At the age of 65, flirting with retirement, I started on with a company that does electrical vehicle conversions. Island living, laid back, technical.

Today, at the age of 68, I'm taking advantage of BCs education grant, enrolled in a series of courses aimed at licensing for Part 9 residential construction. More code.

Old 03-16-2024, 04:19 PM

If you can show up sober, on time, and after payday your 90% ahead of the game. Give it a shot.
Old 03-16-2024, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RancheroMan View Post
You fine folks have any advice for guy who's been in the work force for 20ish years looking to start in the trades? Tough to get a job as a mature apprentice?

I'm looking into the electrical trade specifically. I actually took a pre-employment course out of high school and wrote the 1st year exam. I changed gears before working in the field and have worked in an adjacent industry (communications) for most of my life.

My current job is ending at the end of the month and I've been seriously looking into getting my journeyman.

What's your story?
I started a carpentry apprentice at 42, found it tough as I was not great at math but I persevered. Managed to finish top in my class 3 of the 4 yrs. Bone up on math, the electrical will be a lot harder than carpentry. Go sell yourself, good references will go a long way as well as an easy to get along with personality. There is a good deal of satisfaction doing it as a mature student. Good luck!!

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-16-2024, 05:03 PM

You worked in communications that could compliment an electrical ticket you should have no problem finding work. What area do you want work in residential commercial or industrial ?
Old 03-16-2024, 05:26 PM

I started in the electrical trade at 33, after 13 years as a millwright. Being good at math, is certainly an advantage, as is being good at reading comprehension, for understanding code..
Old 03-16-2024, 05:39 PM

Smile If you are not good at anything..

Give politics a shot, there will be lots of elections soon, doesn't matter which party.
Old 03-16-2024, 05:42 PM

Thanks for everyone's responses so far.

I'm pretty confident in my ability to do well with the work and schooling, more concerned with finding a good opportunity as an older apprentice. Right now I'm not sure what area I would like to work in, it would be fantastic if I could get on with a shop that would give me a diverse apprenticeship experience to help me find what "speaks to me".

The comments here are helping cement my resolve that is this something I will have success in. If anyone here is in a position to help with a landing spot, by all means message me.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:21 PM

If you are willing to work in a rural area I don’t think you’ll have any trouble finding a job. Good tradesmen are hard to find.