Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2017, 10:16 AM

Default Question on smoking a brisket

I found a recipe for a great rub and am just wondering if I can or should apply the rub and let the meat sit overnight in the fridge or apply the rub just before putting it in the smoker? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:20 AM
Banned

I put the rub on and then leave it for an hour or two at most then onto the Egg.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:20 AM

I always do it the day before, some do some don't
Old 02-18-2017, 10:23 AM

I always put my rub on for minimum of 24 hours!!! I get a real nice crust that really seals in the juices !!!!
Old 02-18-2017, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
I always do it the day before, some do some don't

For sure I know some that leave it overnight. It's whatever you like. Some inject it with various concoctions as well. For me I just want the rub to make good flavourful bark. I start with a thin coating of mustard and then the rub.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:25 AM

Thanks, Headquarters seems to think the way to go is to leave the rub on over night.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:28 AM
Banned

It'll be good whichever way you go!
Old 02-18-2017, 10:32 AM

With a name such as yours, I would have just expected to see pictures of the final product.
Kidding aside good luck.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
I found a recipe for a great rub and am just wondering if I can or should apply the rub and let the meat sit overnight in the fridge or apply the rub just before putting it in the smoker? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I rub it with paste bullion then inject with beef broth every few inchs. Wrap tight in plastic wrap for 24 hours. Pull it out of the fridge and let it rest for 3hours. Cover it with mustard and then heavy on the rub.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
If you buy quality meat and trim it, apply your rub the day before your planned cook. Not necessary to inject, its your choice. Vacuum seal it, and put it in the fridge over nite. Take out and let it warm up for a couple hours before you toss it on.
Lots of different ways to go, most times hard to make it turn out bad. Pay attention and it will be delicious.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:09 AM

The last one I smoked I injected with a beef broth as well and left over night then in the morning I applied a dijon honey mustard and a good coating of a Texas style rub. Turned out to be the best brisket I have done to date so I think I will repeat next time.
Good luck and please post pics of the finished product. If it gets done early, I highly recommend seperating the point and flat, wrap the flat in foil and beach towels until ready to slice for dinner. cube up the point, put it in a tin roasting pan with a bit of beef broth and put back in the smoker for a couple more hours... Burnt ends are to die for...
Old 02-18-2017, 11:11 AM

You only need to ask yourself-What is the function of a Rub?

The answer will guide you clearly to the decision of whether you let it sit or not.

Have fun and don't sweat the small stuff
Old 02-18-2017, 11:22 AM

Thanks a lot for all the info folks. I'll try to post pictures (will have to get tech support to walk me through that process as my land line dosen't have a camera).
Old 02-18-2017, 11:52 AM
Banned

Don't get discouraged when you hit the "stall". This should be around the 170 degree internal temp. Usually about 1/2hour into the stall I wrap it in parchment paper and put it back in. (I cook at 250 degrees F)

It can take a couple hours depending on you cooking temp, size of brisket etc. to start gaining internal temp. DON'T CRANK YOUR SMOKER TEMP UP!! I pull it off at around 200-203 internal temp.

Just a couple things I stick to.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
You only need to ask yourself-What is the function of a Rub?

The answer will guide you clearly to the decision of whether you let it sit or not.

Have fun and don't sweat the small stuff
Damn it Yoda!!! Quit speaking in riddles!

Elaborate please. I really enjoy your sage advice.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Damn it Yoda!!! Quit speaking in riddles!

Elaborate please. I really enjoy your sage advice.
Not to mention is thyme advice.
And paprika advice.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-18-2017, 04:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcrazy View Post
Don't get discouraged when you hit the "stall". This should be around the 170 degree internal temp. Usually about 1/2hour into the stall I wrap it in parchment paper and put it back in. (I cook at 250 degrees F)

It can take a couple hours depending on you cooking temp, size of brisket etc. to start gaining internal temp. DON'T CRANK YOUR SMOKER TEMP UP!! I pull it off at around 200-203 internal temp.

Just a couple things I stick to.
Ive had briskets stall for up to 5 hours and start the stall as low as 150, I find every brisket is its own beast. I only cook at 220 and pull it off at 205 then wrap it up in a cooler for 1.5 hours.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Not to mention is thyme advice.
And paprika advice.
HAHAHAHA. Sometimes I think Omega50 believes we all have degrees in cookology. Not all of us have taken the chemistry courses he has.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:07 PM

i always have trimmed and rub spiced my briskets at least 24 hours before cooking
i rub the brisket first with worchister sauce then my custom blend of spices
wrap tightly in plastic wrap and throw back in the fridge
as mentioned above i pull the brisket when it goes in to the stall and wrap it in butcher paper ( the non wax coated stuff ) and through it back on
when it its 205 i pull it and take the flat off and wrap it in tin foil and put it in the cooler lined with towels

i then cube a bunch of the point re rub it and put a glaze of bbq sauce on
and spread it our on perforated pans and throw it back in the smoker for a couple hours and double smoke it. these burnt ends disappear faster than the flat lol

if you ever happen to have brisket left over ( ya i know whats left over brisket lol) i highly recommend making a regular chili the next day with ground beef etc.and add a bunch of brisket it will be the best chili you have ever made
Old 02-18-2017, 08:18 PM

250, great idea on the leftover brisket. Chili, baked beans, nachos would all be good with leftover brisket meat. Maybe I should stop and grab one and cook one up...
all this talk of brisket is making me hungry. LOL
I can't believe there hasn't been a picture of a delicious looking brisket yet, wink wink, anyone? Im not very computer savy as well or I would post a couple.
Happy BBQ'ing guys.

SS
Old 02-18-2017, 08:27 PM

Talking

30 hours in the fridge in the rub, turned a couple times, left on the counter to hit room temp 4 hours, cold smoked 4 hours, then 1.5 hours/lb at 230, last 4-6 hours wrapped in tinfoil with apple juice, then sit in the smoker without power another couple hours.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:41 AM
Banned

That will make you drool.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks a lot for all the info folks. I'll try to post pictures (will have to get tech support to walk me through that process as my land line dosen't have a camera).

Not sure if today is brisket day but if it is I imagine it's in the smoker now!! Look forward to your progress and updates.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:35 PM

I've only cooked one brisket. Turned out great. Want to do another one soon. I applied dry rub and let sit over night. I used Meat Church Holy Cow. I went to YouTube for guidance. Watched every brisket video by Franklin BBQ. Followed his steps and it turned out perfect.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:41 PM

Default Low and Slow !

Quote:
For sure I know some that leave it overnight. It's whatever you like
x2 agreed.

Experimenting with the smoker is fun I think and for me i like at least 2 hours before good luck .
Old 02-19-2017, 01:42 PM

Just put it in @ 12:30 after sitting over night with a coating of hot mustard and the rub and am using a half apple wood half mesquite mix for the smoke. Sorry no pics as I'm technically challenged for now.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just put it in @ 12:30 after sitting over night with a coating of hot mustard and the rub and am using a half apple wood half mesquite mix for the smoke. Sorry no pics as I'm technically challenged for now.
To eat tonight??
Old 02-19-2017, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Should be good but they take a while to finish. Good thread you started. There are lots of members on here that have much experience and an share their techniques and experiences.

The only thing I would say is be careful of too much mesquite. For our taste it can get a bit strong but I know people that use it exclusively so it's up to personal preference. You will enjoy playing around with different methods.

As mentioned above on the Franklin BBQ technique it works. We stood in line for three hours to try his brisket. It is phenominal! He even gave us a tour of his cookers. Mighty impressive. I just got his book from Amazon and it is worth getting it.

All the best to your brisket success!!
Old 02-19-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
To eat tonight??
Late tonight or tomorrow if need be . I started out with a can of Pil for liquid but think I will switch to a brown ale made locally by the Canmore brewing Co. This is a learning curve for me but I've had this brisket for almost a year and thanks to all your advice I got a feeling this is going to turn out great. And maybe cut back on the mesquite.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:24 PM
Banned

Take it easy on the Pil. Enjoy yourself.