Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-14-2024, 10:31 AM

Default Campgrounds on Lac La Biche that you can leave your boat in the water

We are running a truck camper set up to haul the boat to different lakes this summer and its pain to have to pack up the TC every time we want to pull the boat out of the lake. Does LLB lake have any campgrounds that you can safely leave your boat pulled up on shore? We really enjoy Pinehurst and Touchwood for that reason.
Thanks,
Old 02-14-2024, 01:40 PM

Some guys beach at Plamondon white sands. Can also beach at sir winston Churchill on the south side of the peninsula.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:00 AM

What size boat, and how much damage from waves in a storm can you accept?

I have seen overnight storms whip up on Pinehurst that had the effect of swamping all the boats on shore, filling them with sand, and floating equipment away.

That was back in the early 1980's, and I was one of the boats swamped overnight. Back then we took out the tackle boxes, net, and rods, so damage from pounding on the rocks under the sand was the worst of it.

So can it be done? Sure!

Is there a risk and remember in that country the thunderstorms come from all directions, well yes you are taking a chance.

At Calling the storms can be so bad that boat lifts are tipped over from the wave action, trapping the boat in the wrecked lift cradle (everyone has a roof on their lift to keep sea gulls out) resulting in alot of cutting with saw alls after the storm to free the swamped boat, then bailing the boat, then looking for missing equipment in the sand, then winching the bent up boat lift to shore to fix it.

Now tell me that does not sound like FUN!!!

Parking on a beach is even more chance of damage, so maybe the answer is a marina with a break water that you can tie up on, but I don't know of any on LLB.

Or play it safe and pull out each night.

Drewski
Old 02-15-2024, 08:44 AM

My experience with "boat on the shore" overnight says; Do what Drewski says and save much grief".
Old 02-15-2024, 08:55 AM

Take your boat out overnight and put it on the trailer
We had our boat filled with water overnight at little bow lake and lake minnewanka Battery ruined ect not worth it
Old 02-15-2024, 09:41 AM

What others said. As much as a truck camper is appealing to me also...this is the reason I keep pulling B train with the 5th wheel.

The only place I leave the boat in overnight is when I'm camped close to the river.

We did a lot of damage to a boat in our early years leaving it in. Slave lake. What's the odds of a south wind right? Early ninety's country and a campfire drinks started flowing and the "ah, it'll be fine" kicked in....storm blew in at 3 or 4 am and totally swamped the boat after smashing the leg and prop of the motor apart. Learned hard that morning.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:43 PM

Dont do it as others have said. I have a lakefront cabin there and left mine in many many times, even weathered some pretty good storms until "the one" came through and this is what I had waiting for me......that lake can blow up pretty good from almost any direction, it isnt worth it.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-15-2024, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Dont do it as others have said. I have a lakefront cabin there and left mine in many many times, even weathered some pretty good storms until "the one" came through and this is what I had waiting for me......that lake can blow up pretty good from almost any direction, it isnt worth it.

[IMG][/IMG]
Wow. Just wow.

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2024, 04:24 PM

First off if you want to leave your boat in it would be the safest in a dwarf or some kinda of marina where the weather can’t get at it. Not to many places in Alberta have those. Don’t make the mistake like others have done and learned from. Load the boat every night to keep it safe and you will have no issues. It’s way easier to drive down and load up quick with your camper set up than leave the boat in to get pounded up against shore and or wrecked.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:07 PM

I think they prefer the term little person rather than dwarf. And it would have to be an awfully small boat to fit in one

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk