Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-14-2024, 01:04 PM

Default Lithium battery

Any one have any idea what the life span of a 24V battery is?

My initial battery that came with my SM is now entering season five and I am beginning to wonder how much longer it can continue to be re-charged. Don't think it can take the re charges like the deep cycle in the boat I do have a spare but maybe it's time to think about replacing the original.

I do fish as a rule 2 times per week as a min. And I never drill less that 10 holes or more depending if I am solo or have a partner. I have been switching off between the 2 batteries but still have some concern about the original
Old 02-14-2024, 04:35 PM

According to the literature in the box that came with my two spare SM 40V batteries the batteries have a life cycle of 500 recharges and they recommend not recharging a battery that is not a minimum of 75% discharged and to fully charge them prior to storage in the off season. I'm on season 5 on mine. I rotate the three of them to try to keep them all around the same amount of use. Had I known when I purchased the auger the amount of cycle life I'd have just bought one spare. Currently I have noticed no drop in performance. I am cutting more holes per charge too since switching to the 8" lazer lite-flyte auger blade from the steel 10". I get another 20%-25% more holes per charge with the lazer lite-flyte.

Last edited by Frank_NK28; 02-14-2024 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:40 PM

Sooner or later most likely later I will read these things.

I am alter 2 batteries so am no where near 500 recharges burt do not always wait till 75% I'll start paying a little closer attention

T hanks for your input
Old 02-15-2024, 08:35 PM

Not sure if it applies to the Tool grade Lithium Batteries in Augers but traditional Lithium batteries loose a certain percentage of wattage capacity So for example after a battery rated for 500 cycles would drop from as new 100% capacity to 80% after its 500th cycle it would still work just not cut as many holes per charge. So buy a spare. LPO4 battery's should not be stored long term at more than 50% charge.