Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-15-2017, 09:36 PM

Default Tuna Fishing PEI Adventure

Well I was on the east coast for a couple weddings and the first thing i thought of was getting out to try my hand at landing a blue fin tuna. I knew it was early in the season and the odds were not in our favor but since I was there it was impossible not to go!

The day started off by catching some fresh mackerel for bait. We had all taken gravel so the 1st few hours after we were set up went by really slow. Well it all changed pretty quick when the words " HOOKED UP" were yelled. From there all chaos ensued and ill let my first you tube video do the rest of the talking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6P805CaHnc
Old 08-15-2017, 09:43 PM

Awesome video!!! Tuna fishing is definitely on my bucket list.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavster View Post
Well I was on the east coast for a couple weddings and the first thing i thought of was getting out to try my hand at landing a blue fin tuna. I knew it was early in the season and the odds were not in our favor but since I was there it was impossible not to go!

The day started off by catching some fresh mackerel for bait. We had all taken GRAVOL so the 1st few hours after we were set up went by really slow. Well it all changed pretty quick when the words " HOOKED UP" were yelled. From there all chaos ensued and ill let my first you tube video do the rest of the talking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6P805CaHnc
Fixed it for you, wouldn't want people running around eating gravel thinking it cured seasickness?!

Looks like alot of fun. My gf is from PEI, her ex-husband and three sons are commercial fishermen operating a small fleet out of the Souris area. She said they were all out yesterday hoping to "hook up" as well but the Tuna God's weren't cooperating. If I could find the picture of her with her first Tuna I'd post it. It was 878 pounds if memory serves? Great video, thanks for sharing.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Looks like a heck of a battle.
When you see Color does someone grab the harpoon?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-17-2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Looks like a heck of a battle.
When you see Color does someone grab the harpoon?

Nope everything is catch and release for the most part it is heavily protected. They get one tag for the boat for the season and if there is quota left over they are entered into a draw for a second tag. They have to call in to the morning before they go out to let the fisheries know they are going to use their tag that day and the first tuna to the boat regardless of size is the one they have to tag.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavster View Post
Nope everything is catch and release for the most part it is heavily protected. They get one tag for the boat for the season and if there is quota left over they are entered into a draw for a second tag. They have to call in to the morning before they go out to let the fisheries know they are going to use their tag that day and the first tuna to the boat regardless of size is the one they have to tag.
Wow that is a controlled fishery, good to see though if the numbers are down etc.
Maybe we should have that implemented in Cold Lake...a few good lake trout eaters get let go every day
Thanks for sharing.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-17-2017, 08:14 AM

Wow, yeah. That is heavily regulated. Thanks for the info and amazing fish for C&R!
Old 08-20-2017, 10:15 PM

That underwater footage sure worked out! Good stuff and congrats on a great fish