Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-15-2017, 09:36 PM

Default Tuna Fishing PEI Adventure

Well I was on the east coast for a couple weddings and the first thing i thought of was getting out to try my hand at landing a blue fin tuna. I knew it was early in the season and the odds were not in our favor but since I was there it was impossible not to go!

The day started off by catching some fresh mackerel for bait. We had all taken gravel so the 1st few hours after we were set up went by really slow. Well it all changed pretty quick when the words " HOOKED UP" were yelled. From there all chaos ensued and ill let my first you tube video do the rest of the talking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6P805CaHnc
Old 08-15-2017, 09:43 PM

Awesome video!!! Tuna fishing is definitely on my bucket list.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavster View Post
Well I was on the east coast for a couple weddings and the first thing i thought of was getting out to try my hand at landing a blue fin tuna. I knew it was early in the season and the odds were not in our favor but since I was there it was impossible not to go!

The day started off by catching some fresh mackerel for bait. We had all taken GRAVOL so the 1st few hours after we were set up went by really slow. Well it all changed pretty quick when the words " HOOKED UP" were yelled. From there all chaos ensued and ill let my first you tube video do the rest of the talking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6P805CaHnc
Fixed it for you, wouldn't want people running around eating gravel thinking it cured seasickness?!

Looks like alot of fun. My gf is from PEI, her ex-husband and three sons are commercial fishermen operating a small fleet out of the Souris area. She said they were all out yesterday hoping to "hook up" as well but the Tuna God's weren't cooperating. If I could find the picture of her with her first Tuna I'd post it. It was 878 pounds if memory serves? Great video, thanks for sharing.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Looks like a heck of a battle.
When you see Color does someone grab the harpoon?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-17-2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Looks like a heck of a battle.
When you see Color does someone grab the harpoon?

Nope everything is catch and release for the most part it is heavily protected. They get one tag for the boat for the season and if there is quota left over they are entered into a draw for a second tag. They have to call in to the morning before they go out to let the fisheries know they are going to use their tag that day and the first tuna to the boat regardless of size is the one they have to tag.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Nope everything is catch and release for the most part it is heavily protected. They get one tag for the boat for the season and if there is quota left over they are entered into a draw for a second tag. They have to call in to the morning before they go out to let the fisheries know they are going to use their tag that day and the first tuna to the boat regardless of size is the one they have to tag.
Wow that is a controlled fishery, good to see though if the numbers are down etc.
Maybe we should have that implemented in Cold Lake...a few good lake trout eaters get let go every day
Thanks for sharing.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-17-2017, 08:14 AM

Wow, yeah. That is heavily regulated. Thanks for the info and amazing fish for C&R!
Old 08-19-2017, 05:17 AM

Nothing better! Congrats! Im heading out in October to help fill a Tag or two! Cant wait!
Old 08-19-2017, 05:23 AM

Who did you go out with?
Old 08-19-2017, 09:44 AM

Default Tuna Fishing

What does it cost per day? How many days does it take to have a good chance of catching one?
Old 08-19-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tight line View Post
Who did you go out with?
I used Bruce from Northlake Charters. Couldn't thank him enough for what an awesome experience and the knowledge they have. From their professionalism on the boat to the stories and keeping us entertained during the slow times to the awesome lobster rolls for lunch and homemade treats for desert. Would highly recommend them to anyone looking to hook into one of these monster tuna.

Good luck on your trip hopefully you get one of those granders they were telling us about!

Last edited by Weavster; 08-19-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow Town Bill View Post
What does it cost per day? How many days does it take to have a good chance of catching one?
It was 1250$ a day. We went early August which is when the tuna start to arrive. They had 4-5 charters before us and hooked up once but never landed it. He highly recommended late September to early October. This is when the bait is very abundant and the tuna are putting on the feed. You are only allowed 3 landed fish a day and he said multiple times they are heading in shortly after lunch due to 3 caught fish in this late September time frame.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
It was 1250$ a day. We went early August which is when the tuna start to arrive. They had 4-5 charters before us and hooked up once but never landed it. He highly recommended late September to early October. This is when the bait is very abundant and the tuna are putting on the feed. You are only allowed 3 landed fish a day and he said multiple times they are heading in shortly after lunch due to 3 caught fish in this late September time frame.
Presume the day rate allows you to bring your spouse at no additional cost.
Sounds real exciting. Would be great to land a fish that weighs more than me!!!
Old 08-20-2017, 12:33 PM

Cool video. We were out yesterday from the north lake and unfortunately we were not as lucky. I guess the week you were out a few boats hooked up but this week so far it was been next to nothing for everybody. Out of the six boats our captains were in talks with not one even marked a fish. Still had a great time catching mackerel and cod and we did catch multiple seagulls unintentionally which was amusing. all birds were released no harm done. Just thought I would mention to those who want to head out fishing mid/late sept, if your planning a vacation keep in mind 80-90% of all tourist attractions/shops/resturants will be closed at that time. But from what every says the fishing is at its best.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:15 PM

That underwater footage sure worked out! Good stuff and congrats on a great fish
Old 08-21-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
I used Bruce from Northlake Charters. Couldn't thank him enough for what an awesome experience and the knowledge they have. From their professionalism on the boat to the stories and keeping us entertained during the slow times to the awesome lobster rolls for lunch and homemade treats for desert. Would highly recommend them to anyone looking to hook into one of these monster tuna.

Good luck on your trip hopefully you get one of those granders they were telling us about!
Yes they are good, probably the best Charter Captain on the Island! Ive fought a 800ish-700ish and killed a 640lber! We lost one that was definately a grander that same day, but the smaller fish were getting a better price anyway..lol, hopefully this year! The guys i go with got one 1180lbs a few years back! Watching your vid has me itching!! Lol
Old 08-21-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
Cool video. We were out yesterday from the north lake and unfortunately we were not as lucky. I guess the week you were out a few boats hooked up but this week so far it was been next to nothing for everybody. Out of the six boats our captains were in talks with not one even marked a fish. Still had a great time catching mackerel and cod and we did catch multiple seagulls unintentionally which was amusing. all birds were released no harm done. Just thought I would mention to those who want to head out fishing mid/late sept, if your planning a vacation keep in mind 80-90% of all tourist attractions/shops/resturants will be closed at that time. But from what every says the fishing is at its best.
Thats too bad man...Once herring fishing opens, it is usually as simple as throwing a bait over, and your hooked up right at the boat
Old 08-21-2017, 11:54 AM

Default Tuna

Quote:
What an incredible opportunity. Maybe next year I can work in a trip that doesn't interfere with hunting.
Do you know when the tuna fishing got so good. I remember back years ago tuna fishing was almost a lost cause.
Now, if Atlantic salmon fishing could return to the good old days b
Old 08-21-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Yes they are good, probably the best Charter Captain on the Island! Ive fought a 800ish-700ish and killed a 640lber! We lost one that was definately a grander that same day, but the smaller fish were getting a better price anyway..lol, hopefully this year! The guys i go with got one 1180lbs a few years back! Watching your vid has me itching!! Lol
Small my aunt petunia
It all becomes relative. Hopefully it didn't permanently bend you away from normal fishing. Did you get a chance to try the meat? On Wicked Tuna they seem to send it all to Japan or most anyways.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Small my aunt petunia
It all becomes relative. Hopefully it didn't permanently bend you away from normal fishing. Did you get a chance to try the meat? On Wicked Tuna they seem to send it all to Japan or most anyways.
We cut off the tail meat, and the tips of the lions that are in the cut off head, they dont leave you with much..we sashimi'd some of it, very good! Strong though! I will be bringing some soy sauce, ginger and wasabi this year! Just talked to my buddy, he has been macerel fishing and said they are marking lots, so they are ready to go any time!
Old 08-21-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow Town Bill View Post
What an incredible opportunity. Maybe next year I can work in a trip that doesn't interfere with hunting.
Do you know when the tuna fishing got so good. I remember back years ago tuna fishing was almost a lost cause.
Now, if Atlantic salmon fishing could return to the good old days b
They stopped netting the juveniles in the GOM in the 90's, and the population has been increasing since! I remember when i was 12 or so, i was home, and seeing in the paper that the first GBF had been caught in North Lake in years! Cor Keus was the guys name, my father is a fisherman as well and knew him. October is the best time to go for sure, but the weather can get rough, and makes it tough
Old 08-22-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:

Haha, wow, just read this again.. i thought you meant Bruce Brothers Charters, but it was North Lake Charters, looked them up, and this is Cor Keus' son.. too funny
Old 08-22-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
We cut off the tail meat, and the tips of the lions that are in the cut off head, they dont leave you with much..we sashimi'd some of it, very good! Strong though! I will be bringing some soy sauce, ginger and wasabi this year! Just talked to my buddy, he has been macerel fishing and said they are marking lots, so they are ready to go any time!
Nice