Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2011, 09:47 PM

Default Called RAP line today.....Damn Poachers!

Well I was out pike fly fishing one of my spots today and there were quite a few fisherman on the banks.

Accross the bay from where I was a couple hundred yards away I see a guy catch a hammer handle pike. As he get it to shore he unhooks it and wings it up in the grass...no tape out no measuring nothing....I am thinking I know I am about 250yrds away right now ....but he brought out no tape and most fish people catch there are hammer handles.

I then see a mini-van that was parked further down drive up to where the guy is....I see another guy go over and proceed to stomp on the fish (assuming on the head). So I decide I can't let this slide.....

So I proceed to walk over to them .... past about 7-8 other people fishing some about 20 yards from them.

One guy sees me coming and reels in his line and breaks down his rod and goes to the back of the van to put it in. The older fella is standing over in the grass.....I knew thats where the fish was. So I walked over to him and look in the grass and there is 2 very undersize pike laying there....

So I proceed to tell these guys that those fish are way too small to be keeping......the ignorance started so my voice got raised and I proceeded to unleash on these guys.....they didnt say much once that started. Then they take the 2 fish and toss them in the lake....clearly they won't live. Then the oldest of the bunch proceeds to walk over and dig ANOTHER fish out of the grass and throw it in the lake......so I ask them how many more fish am I gonna find in the grass?

I also told them I have their license plate and if I see then down there again doing the same thing I'll call F&W. I told them if they have undersize fish at home they better go home and cook em quick...... so they get in their van and drive off.....not knowing I was planning on calling F&W anyways.

At this point I fish the floater out of the lake and take pictures of it next to my rod and my tape measure in case F&W needs it.

F&W called me back and asked for descriptions etc. As he is stting outside their house waiting for them to return. I gave him my email and told him ill send him the pics if he needs em.......I'll wait and see where this goes.

On a good note I nearly landed about a 15lb fish tonight! I tried to shore land him and when he got in shallow he spit the hook which is cool.

Lefty

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-27-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:06 PM

good job.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-27-2011, 10:19 PM

I hope they nail em all!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Banned

good job lefty. i might have kept quiet and let them take the fish home though. pics are good, but fish in the van when the fish cop is waiting for them is more damning than pics. sounds like they were going to die anyway. hopefully some charges are laid....and stick.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:47 PM

In good conscience I just couldn't sit back and watch them. I would hope most of the people here would do the same thing?

Yah I was kickin myself a bit about that....I honestly didn't think the Officer would stakeout their place!

Lefty
Old 05-27-2011, 10:50 PM

i am always suspicious of grown men who go fishing in mini vans and you have just confirmed my worst fears....lol.

in all seriousness good job on reporting them. i hope they get the book thrown at them.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Banned

hindsight is 20/20 alright. like i said, hopefully what you got will be enough for a conviction. and i agree......looking the other way is basically condoning it.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:53 PM

Good job Lefty! We need more people like you that would step up and take the initiative in calling the wrongdoings
Old 05-27-2011, 11:55 PM

Whhhoooo Boy, I'm buying you a SUPERsized Mojito when I meet you sir!

Thanks for calling it in, and thanks for posting.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:26 AM

Good to hear, way to go!!!
Old 05-28-2011, 01:09 AM

SOunds like the same guys as a few years back Ukimov or however he spells his name and REdneckposse were out then polish guys kept every pike they hooked tossed it in the grass , and into a bag in the van , then left couple hours later come back do it all agian . I reported those guys even with video of them doing it . Never did hear back from fish and wildlife . Thats when I lost faith in the fish and wildlife report a poacher hotline . I was livid .
Old 05-28-2011, 07:35 AM

BBJ,

These three guys were definitly not polish. I think they have a really good idea of what they are doing..... although when approached plead ignorance. When they catch the fish and stash them in the grass.....they can plead that they are not theirs if F&W shows up (argue they were there before or someone else did it).

I just hope they get called on in enough times and get enough complaints logged against them that F&W can do something about it.

Lefty
Old 05-28-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Whhhoooo Boy, I'm buying you a SUPERsized Mojito when I meet you sir!

Thanks for calling it in, and thanks for posting.
I hope it has 2 umbrellas! Oh goodie goodie gumdrops I can't wait! Can I bring my garden gnome friend to? LOL
Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 AM

Nice work Lefty!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:02 AM

good job Lefty!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:05 PM

Thank you Lefty-Canuck for doing that.

I agree with ishootbambi that I probably just monitor their action and call F&W right away. The reason I am doing this way is because of two reasons:

1) By confront them directly, you could put yourself in a dangerous position bacause not all of the Poachers will be scared-off or run away. We don't want to see you get hurt.

2) My friend, who is a memeber of law enforcement team, told me that unless the prosecutors have sure evidence to bring the people to the court they won't do anything. Especially in this kind of case, the porcher could have all kind of execuse or even deny it. You know our justice system is not always punish the bad people.
By calling F&W right away, F&W can do a lot of things to nail those pochers.

This is just my two cents. The most impontant thing is that we don't want you getting hurt.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippered beef View Post
hero.. get off your clydesdale
Useless post..... get off your keyboard

Lefty
Old 05-29-2011, 06:02 PM

Response from the F&W Officer relating to the incident,

"I wasn't able to find the guys the other day but will as soon as I can. It will result in more of a stern talking to but at least they will know they are being watched. Thanks for calling it in as even if we don't get charges this time we have the history for when we deal with them in the future. Thanks and call anytime. Have a great summer!!"

Lesson learned....next time I observe poachers I will let them take the illegal game and call F&W so they can catch them with the evidence.

Lefty
Old 05-29-2011, 07:09 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Response from the F&W Officer relating to the incident,

"I wasn't able to find the guys the other day but will as soon as I can. It will result in more of a stern talking to but at least they will know they are being watched. Thanks for calling it in as even if we don't get charges this time we have the history for when we deal with them in the future. Thanks and call anytime. Have a great summer!!"

Lesson learned....next time I observe poachers I will let them take the illegal game and call F&W so they can catch them with the evidence.

Lefty
Wonder if they leave the keys in their van... Walk over, reach in the open door, grab keys, yell HEY BOYS and throw their keys into the lake...

Now THAT would be funny. No running away for them...

And to all the haters and flamers, YES i know its illegal and YES i know we should leave that kind of thing to best guide, but admit the idea is rather pleasing....
Old 05-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
you have got to be joking?!?!?!?

well....unless you are a sienna driving asian poacher!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:

Been caught poaching kippered...Go join a support group
Old 05-31-2011, 06:31 PM

Hey Lefty! Glad to have found you here. I haven't posted here in ages but have been lurking around lately.

My dad and boyfriend and I were there when you stomped over and "busted" those guys, we were unloading our little green boat. I couldn't figure out what you were doing at first and then it became apparent, and I was proud! Oh it made me SO mad when they tossed those fish back in the water, seeing them flop off the banks...just urgh!!

Should I call and back you up, so to speak? I saw it all too, all three of us did. Although I can't remember what day it was, or the time

There were plenty of people there, and right beside them too...did they conveniently not notice? I saw you stop to talk to a few of them.

As a side note, we caught lots of little farts that evening, and oh the mosquitos!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwalking View Post
Hey Lefty! Glad to have found you here. I haven't posted here in ages but have been lurking around lately.

My dad and boyfriend and I were there when you stomped over and "busted" those guys, we were unloading our little green boat. I couldn't figure out what you were doing at first and then it became apparent, and I was proud! Oh it made me SO mad when they tossed those fish back in the water, seeing them flop off the banks...just urgh!!

Should I call and back you up, so to speak? I saw it all too, all three of us did. Although I can't remember what day it was, or the time

There were plenty of people there, and right beside them too...did they conveniently not notice? I saw you stop to talk to a few of them.

As a side note, we caught lots of little farts that evening, and oh the mosquitos!
Hey Outwalking! Welcome back....

Thanks for the support! Much appreciated......yah there was a bunch of folks there turning a blind eye.....which is ok (for them) but I personally just couldn't NOT say something.

I had to walk over there first just to see if my hunch was correct.....I just had to see how big the fish were these guys were keeping. Well when I found out you know the rest....

After I talked to those guys the other fisherman nearby chatted with me and gave me the kudos for speaking up....

No worries about calling, the F&W guy I spoke to said he will try to catch up with them and let them know people are being diligent and they WILL notice and make calls to the RAP line.

Thanks again for the support! Nice to hear that some people approve of my actions the other day. I don't think I was rude to them....just a bit loud and "matter of fact" !

Lefty
Old 05-31-2011, 08:08 PM

I appreciate everyones comments.....BUT. I must state to all the young fisherman out there......Do NOT confront potential poachers!!
F and W has very clear instructions on how they want us to participate in the RAP program and if followed properly....it has a high conviction rate.
We are not the law, we are not Charles Bronson, leave your phone booth at home and let the trained pros do their job.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
I appreciate everyones comments.....BUT. I must state to all the young fisherman out there......Do NOT confront potential poachers!!
F and W has very clear instructions on how they want us to participate in the RAP program and if followed properly....it has a high conviction rate.
We are not the law, we are not Charles Bronson, leave your phone booth at home and let the trained pros do their job.
X2

Although I stand by my actions 100% next time I will choose to not be so vocal and I will collect the information in a logical manner offering "best descriptions" that fit the situation and pass this information along to F&W. This was the first time I have ever called RAP and one of the first times I have seen such blatant disregard for the rules so my feelings on poachers shone through!

By the way if any of you meet me I am not an imposing figure in the least I just have a loud voice at times and i stand up for what I believe in .......I was 1 they were 3 it could have ended up worse for me!

Lefty
Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Good advice chubb!

On another note, if you want to do something pro-active while waiting for RAP. Grab your camera and take pics of the guys, fish, vehicle, etc... just an idea...
Old 06-02-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:

That is a typical liberal attitude that lets criminals get away with things.

"don't say any thing let the authorities handle it"

Maybe if we all spoke up and told them they were poaching, they would find it harder to poach. You don't have to confront them in an aggressive way, but a simple coment like, " do you realize that those fish are to small to keep?" would suffice.

Seems like these guys bail whenever someone points out their poaching, so if we all point it out, they will not be able to poach.

Or, we could just put our heads in the sand and ignore the problem......NOT!