Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-03-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino81 View Post
I agree 100% cat! That bucks frame work is set. Never going to be over 180 judging by the pictures. 220,240 hahahahahaha!!!!!!
X2!

It's been too many years to mention since I filled a white tail tag, think it was in the era of our last Liberal government! Mainly due to just a lack of effort and putting in the time as I'm certainly not hardcore. Hence me living vicariously through the posts of the great outdoorsmen (and women!) who put in the time........

As for that fellow, I'd fold him in a heartbeat as I'm out to fill the freezer and give my kids an experience. Plus he'd certainly be a trophy in my record books....
Old 12-03-2019, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
I agree 100% cat! That bucks frame work is set. Never going to be over 180 judging by the pictures. 220,240 hahahahahaha!!!!!!
Ok, I can understand the thought of giant deer is hard to fathom for some, but I happen to have a pretty good knowledge of the deer in my area.

I know it’s hard to tell from the photo, but if you look at his right beam up at the top it looks a bit fuzzy. I was watching that buck with a doe for about a half hour. It’s a 5x6 with a split G3 on the right antler, the left beam has 6 points. What unique about that G3 isn’t that it’s split but the way it’s split. It doesn’t form a Y, the split goes out to the right and forward. I thought it looked odd while I was watching him.

Now notice the buck I shot this year, I’m very familiar with this buck and although he’s on his way down, he still grosses around the 200” mark. 2 years ago the buck was in the 220-240” range and I almost shot him on 2 separate occasions that year. Having a clear view of the young deers rack I have absolutely no doubt in my mind they are related.

That’s a 2L bottle in the picture FYI.

In this picture you can really see how the G3 sticks out, exactly how it does on the buck in my picture. Hopefully in 2 years I’ll be able to show the time length and mass these genetics hold.

ps, the buck on the top scores 132 plus a few abnormal, ends up around 136

Oh, and the deer I shot was shot about 1-1/2 miles from where I took a picture of his baby.

Last edited by Kurt505; 12-03-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:53 PM
Banned

Old 12-03-2019, 03:02 PM

I applaud folks that can set a goal and stick to it however if they are thinking the deer they see will be around next year they could be in for a lot of disappointment. This is especially true if they are not is a very good spot with very little pressure.

I have exclusive permission on some very good property. I have let many 140-150 class bucks walk with lots of potential never to be seen again. If they are anywhere near massive tracks of forest they simply move out only to return for a nocturnal visit or two during the rut. If they are not they generally fall to another hunter or traffic.

In central Alberta farm country you might well be wasting your time waiting for a near book or bigger deer that simply doesn't exist. There is only a hand full of WOW deer shot each year around here and considering the hundreds of hunters and how many are shot on private land...your chances are slim to none. A 150 class deer within a day trip from Calgary, Edmonton or Red Deer is a true trophy for any weekend hunter. A weekend hunter that wants to connect on a true monster would be best served hitting the large tracks of crown land in the northern part of the Province, roll the dice and sit on a cut line. Makes for a long boring day but at least there is a chance.

I love to watch Dean Partridge's Canadian White-tail, Cody Robins and Jim Shockey. These guys have teams of people with the latest equipment working year round to scout out and target deer. All have thousands invested in baiting and blinds. In spite of that one big buck was only seen on trail cameras for 9 YEARS before being shot. It's fun to watch professionals but if you set your expectations that high you are going to have a disappointing day. People ruin golf for themselves setting these same lofty goals.

Kurt, the buck you shot this year is world class. If he was travelling with a 200 inch typical I would choose him every time. He is absolutely awesome and second to none in my books,,,but he is under 200 inches. IMO the buck in the picture is 145-155 and this was a very good year for antler growth. His back in bowed down and he is sporting a middle age belly so I would guess him at 5 1/2 years old or more. Maybe as good as he is going to get but might hit 170 if the stars align. He just doesn't have the mass to be mentioned in the same sentence as the deer you harvested unless the picture is not doing him justice because of pixel loss. He'd be down kicking as soon as I could get the cross hairs settled.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Ok, I can understand the thought of giant deer is hard to fathom for some, but I happen to have a pretty good knowledge of the deer in my area.

I know it’s hard to tell from the photo, but if you look at his right beam up at the top it looks a bit fuzzy. I was watching that buck with a doe for about a half hour. It’s a 5x6 with a split G3 on the right antler, the left beam has 6 points. What unique about that G3 isn’t that it’s split but the way it’s split. It doesn’t form a Y, the split goes out to the right and forward. I thought it looked odd while I was watching him.

Now notice the buck I shot this year, I’m very familiar with this buck and although he’s on his way down, he still grosses around the 200” mark. 2 years ago the buck was in the 220-240” range and I almost shot him on 2 separate occasions that year. Having a clear view of the young deers rack I have absolutely no doubt in my mind they are related.

That’s a 2L bottle in the picture FYI.

In this picture you can really see how the G3 sticks out, exactly how it does on the buck in my picture. Hopefully in 2 years I’ll be able to show the time length and mass these genetics hold.

ps, the buck on the top scores 132 plus a few abnormal, ends up around 136

Oh, and the deer I shot was shot about 1-1/2 miles from where I took a picture of his baby.
That deer with the pop bottle scored what?
Old 12-03-2019, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I applaud folks that can set a goal and stick to it however if they are thinking the deer they see will be around next year they could be in for a lot of disappointment. This is especially true if they are not is a very good spot with very little pressure.

I have exclusive permission on some very good property. I have let many 140-150 class bucks walk with lots of potential never to be seen again. If they are anywhere near massive tracks of forest they simply move out only to return for a nocturnal visit or two during the rut. If they are not they generally fall to another hunter or traffic.

In central Alberta farm country you might well be wasting your time waiting for a near book or bigger deer that simply doesn't exist. There is only a hand full of WOW deer shot each year around here and considering the hundreds of hunters and how many are shot on private land...your chances are slim to none. A 150 class deer within a day trip from Calgary, Edmonton or Red Deer is a true trophy for any weekend hunter. A weekend hunter that wants to connect on a true monster would be best served hitting the large tracks of crown land in the northern part of the Province, roll the dice and sit on a cut line. Makes for a long boring day but at least there is a chance.

I love to watch Dean Partridge's Canadian White-tail, Cody Robins and Jim Shockey. These guys have teams of people with the latest equipment working year round to scout out and target deer. All have thousands invested in baiting and blinds. In spite of that one big buck was only seen on trail cameras for 9 YEARS before being shot. It's fun to watch professionals but if you set your expectations that high you are going to have a disappointing day. People ruin golf for themselves setting these same lofty goals.

Kurt, the buck you shot this year is world class. If he was travelling with a 200 inch typical I would choose him every time. He is absolutely awesome and second to none in my books,,,but he is under 200 inches. IMO the buck in the picture is 145-155 and this was a very good year for antler growth. His back in bowed down and he is sporting a middle age belly so I would guess him at 5 1/2 years old or more. Maybe as good as he is going to get but might hit 170 if the stars align. He just doesn't have the mass to be mentioned in the same sentence as the deer you harvested unless the picture is not doing him justice because of pixel loss. He'd be down kicking as soon as I could get the cross hairs settled.
I know he looks like a 145 to 150” deer in that picture but the picture was taken from 370 yards away so you don’t see the mass or even the tines for the most part. I watched him for a long time and he was with another 3 x 3 buck and they were both dogging a doe but there wasn’t very much difference in size between the 2 deer. He might be as old as 4 1/2 but there’s no way he’s a 5 1/2 year-old deer. If I didn’t see how big his relatives where I wouldn’t guess him to get as big either, but I’ve seen more than a handful of 200” class deer within 5 miles of that spot.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
That deer with the pop bottle scored what?
It’ll gross right around 200”, net somewhere between 186 and 196. It’s really hard to judge what is a main beam, a non typical point or a typical point. It’s going to take a panel to determine that. A friend of mine who shot a 280” buck scored it at 200-2/8”, but like I say, it’s going to be challenging to determine what is a main beam, a typical point or a non typical point since there are 3 points at the end of each beam.

Last edited by Kurt505; 12-03-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:30 PM

As president of the 200 club I would like to congratulate Kurt as our newest member. Welcome to the league of elite gentlemen.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:40 PM

Tremendous deer Kurt but it doesn’t seem to have the inches to make 200. Pictures are deceiving though so please don’t interpret my opinion as ignorance. What would you think this deer scored if you don’t mind me asking your opinion?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B8DBEE2F-170F-4813-862D-4659929D6E50.jpg (26.8 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg 5738E3DE-CC61-437C-9067-F7100219DC29.jpg (27.1 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg 82ECFF7E-E75B-4E1B-9CFC-89A807387F27.jpg (25.5 KB, 196 views)
Old 12-03-2019, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Tremendous deer Kurt but it doesn’t seem to have the inches to make 200. Pictures are deceiving though so please don’t interpret my opinion as ignorance. What would you think this deer scored if you don’t mind me asking your opinion?
Hard to tell from those pictures, there isn’t too much for reference but I’d say in the 130” neighborhood.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Hard to tell from those pictures, there isn’t too much for reference but I’d say in the 130” neighborhood.
This is my point... pictures are a argument starter lol. That deer went 179 1/8
Old 12-03-2019, 05:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Got a 2L bottle you can put in the pic for reference?
Old 12-03-2019, 05:58 PM

Not quite as picky as some guys here, but my Whitetail tag is a donation to SERM again this year.
My hunting partner of 42 years passed away, and my heart just wasn't in it.
Maybe next year.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:06 PM

The last 10 years I have filled more general elk tags than I have general white tails. Mostly because once I get an elk in the freezer... I don’t need a white tail

LC
Old 12-03-2019, 07:17 PM

Yah, I hear you.

I'm feeling left out of the conversation too,,,,,,
Old 12-03-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post

Young bucks and old bucks may as well be a different species imho. If there isn't a lot of cover the young dumb ones just simply don't have enough places to hide from folks that are happy with just any deer. Most get shot along the way. I would completely agree that anything over 150" is something special in this country. There are still big bucks to be killed in the central private land and some dandies at that but you literally need sole permission or fellow hunters that will let deer grow.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Young bucks and old bucks may as well be a different species imho. If there isn't a lot of cover the young dumb ones just simply don't have enough places to hide from folks that are happy with just any deer. Most get shot along the way. I would completely agree that anything over 150" is something special in this country. There are still big bucks to be killed in the central private land and some dandies at that but you literally need sole permission or fellow hunters that will let deer grow.
I couldn’t have said that better myself
Old 12-03-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Deer numbers and quality are really starting to bounce back after the 2013 mass winter kill. The easing of supplementary tags helps too. If we can get the December they are forecasting and a half decent winter next year should be very good. Big numbers produce big deer as tags are filled early with easy targets. Big bucks don't have to travel the country side looking for does when they are plentiful.

I don't need to shoot a monster buck every year but it sure makes it more interesting when you know there is a few out there.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:29 PM
Gone Hunting

I can see that I need to leave the Deer to real hunters. Since I never hunt for trophies I realize I am depriving real hunters of their rightful opportunities.

Sad fact is, I am ashamed to say, I gave away the biggest rack I ever harvested. I see now I should have let that Deer live.

Sure it is highly unlikely that a real hunter would have ever known about that Deer. Where I took him, only local meat hunters hunt, but obviously that's beside the point. Clearly my tag was not meant for just any deer since I am not a trophy hunter.

I promise I'll do better in the future. No more Deer for me.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-04-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:

Can I borrow your tape? I’ve got a dozen book
Deer I need to score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2019, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
Can I borrow your tape? I’ve got a dozen book
Deer I need to score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can use mine, but it’s in inches.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:01 AM

This year was my first buck in 3 years. 2 years since filling my tag on a doe. Lots of opportunity just wanted to get a buck for the freezer this year.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
You can use mine, but it’s in inches.
Yours doesn’t appear to be lol
Old 12-04-2019, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yours doesn’t appear to be lol
I’m having my buck scored by an official scorer this weekend, I’ll post a pic of the official score sheet, could you post a pic of yours? 179-1/8” is huge, I’d like to see the tale of the tape.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
2013=180”er
2014=NO BUCK
2015=170”er
2016=190”er
2017=180”er
2018=145”er
2019=160”er

Besides the 2018 ground shrinkage incident this decade of whitetail hunting had been very successful.
2017......10” mass
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87AF4C1B-E195-4D48-8D72-A78F6D85D811.jpg (25.9 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg F4547D6F-3B7A-410C-A7A0-3F87E871B50D.jpg (32.9 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg F23EB879-EA94-4579-95C4-E412AECD255F.jpg (29.2 KB, 174 views)
Old 12-04-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I’m having my buck scored by an official scorer this weekend, I’ll post a pic of the official score sheet, could you post a pic of yours? 179-1/8” is huge, I’d like to see the tale of the tape.
Needs 60 days to be “official”

LC
Old 12-04-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
2017......10” mass
10” bases? Must have some nontyp stuff or stickers to hit 10” bases, that’s pretty much unheard of.

LC
Old 12-04-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
10” bases? Must have some nontyp stuff or stickers to hit 10” bases, that’s pretty much unheard of.

LC
H-3’s
Old 12-04-2019, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
2017......10” mass
I think Wayne Zaft would beg to differ. His buck went from 206 to 172 once it was determined that it was one point splitting off into two.

Lefty,

I said scored by an official scorer and I would post a picture of the official score sheet. It doesn’t say anything about an official score

I went and scored it myself today and I used a very tight tape. If anything the score will go up, and it could be as much as 6-8”

Worst case scenario it’ll gross 192 and net 183-4/8, but I believe it’ll score higher than that. I stopped by Jimbows on my way through Edmonton the day after I shot it and showed Dave, I think he liked it 😁
Old 12-04-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I think Wayne Zaft would beg to differ. His buck went from 206 to 172 once it was determined that it was one point splitting off into two.

Lefty,

I said scored by an official scorer and I would post a picture of the official score sheet. It doesn’t say anything about an official score

I went and scored it myself today and I used a very tight tape. If anything the score will go up, and it could be as much as 6-8”

Worst case scenario it’ll gross 192 and net 183-4/8, but I believe it’ll score higher than that. I stopped by Jimbows on my way through Edmonton the day after I shot it and showed Dave, I think he liked it 😁
Could care less what it scored and I didn’t score it..an official scorer did...just like the deer I shot the year before which has 3 droptines each over 10” long....