Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 09:27 AM

Great news for Keg - and my hat's off to you Ken !
Old 12-10-2019, 10:08 AM

The all-around feel good story of 2019! It’s great to see AO pull together whenever one of its own is down on their luck.

Hats off to Ken and all the best to Keg for a speedy recovery!
Old 12-10-2019, 12:13 PM

Great news.. glad the worrying can take a back seat now, keep on getting better Keg! This is all good news Batwoman... thanks for keeping us all in the loop! Nice stuff there Ken, your heart is always in the right place!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-10-2019, 12:15 PM

all good news!

And Ken, make sure you stick to the speed limit eh?
Old 12-10-2019, 12:17 PM

Great news.
Ken you're a Star!

BW
Old 12-10-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Great news.. glad the worrying can take a back seat now, keep on getting better Keg! This is all good news Batwoman... thanks for keeping us all in the loop! Nice stuff there Ken, your heart is always in the right place!
Zip
Agree 100%.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:50 PM

so glad hes coming home. still need to get him a sturgeon! Thank you very much Ken !

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-10-2019, 01:23 PM

Great guys trip- Lots of time to talk about their feelings.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Great news for Keg - and my hat's off to you Ken !
I had brain surgery on sept long weekend and when I got out I PM KEN just to shoot the breeze .He told me if I needed anything not to worry and just call him,hell I am 1400 kls away and he knows where I live and had no bones about helping me.

After I read it I was a little shaky from my surgery and being in the hospital 14 days, but just the thought of someone offering whatever he could do to help me really touched me inside,so what he is doing for KEG doesn't surprise me one bit.

Ken is a very good decent person and Keg is in good hands.

To KEG when you get home you taker cool till your 100 percent sure your feeling good.

JD
Old 12-11-2019, 08:38 AM

Default OK now that KEG is HOME HOW DO WE CLOSE THREAD

Keg is home, as he posted, so I need some assistance in how to close this thread. No sense it going on forever. THANKS in advance for help.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Look after yourself Jim we still have to chase some chukars around with a dog!!
Rob
Oh for sure. It won't happen this year but I am already planning for next year.
And I don't even care if I fire a shot, just being on such a hunt, even as a spectator would be a dream come true.

I remember reading about such hunts in Outdoor Life back in the 60s and have wanted to experience such a hunt since then.

So far all indications point to a considerable improvement in my quality of life from here on. Getting my blood sugar under control has already made a significant difference, I'm excited to see how much difference restoring my heart function to near normal will have.
By spring I may be able to climb mountains again.

Chasing a dog looking for birds should be a walk in the park by next fall.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-12-2019, 12:02 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Best wishes Jim, look after yourself bud!!

ps- got the press, thank you

Jerry
Wonderful!

Was all the parts there. I wasn't 100 percent sure because it came to me as an opened kit and I've never owned one myself.

It sure was awful nice of Marilyn to be the go between.
That took a load off my shoulders knowing she would take care of it.

She's such a sweet heart.
We've spent many a happy hour looking for birds. I couldn't ask for a better friend.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-12-2019, 12:10 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Thanks for posting this Patty, just saw it. Had lunch with Jim at Sportsman show here a couple years back, hope it goes really good for him in Edmonton. If Jim and Ken want to do a pit stop in GP on the way home, I'd be happy to meet up and buy dinner. Let me know.
We came back via hwy 43 so a swing into GP would have added a bunch of miles to our trip, but thank you anyway.

If we had the time I'd have been 100 percent in favor of the side trip.
As it was, with the late start and the weather we wanted to make it as fast as safely possible.

I have to say, Ken's driving was top notch. I could have slept all the way home had I been tired and I can honestly say I have known no more then a hand full of driver who I've been comfortable enough with to fall asleep while on the road.
I didn't watch the speedo but when I did look it was always right on 100 or just under. And he held his lane position like we were on rails.

I was able to totally relax and enjoy the trip.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-12-2019, 12:12 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Does he need anything dropped off at the hospital? Can I take him a book or some magazines? Or anything at all he can pass some time with? Just let me know.
Thank you.
I didn't take my reading glasses so reading was out of the question. But it sure would have been nice, there wasn't much on the TV and even less happening outside my room.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-12-2019, 12:13 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
My prayers and thoughts are with you both, Keg and Patti. We live in amazing medical times and are so fortunate to have world class heart doctors in Edmonton. Have faith. I had a stent put in in what seemed like minutes. I was sent home 2 days later.

IF Jim is admitted for a few days, I would visit Jim in a few days if he is up for company. Haven't met but have had good conversations.

Depending if he will be there a few days, one thing hospitals don't supply is deodorant, shaving items and soap/shampoo. Those items do help a man keep his dignity when he's on the mend. (And this isn't about vanity, it's about self respect.) And one thing that drove me mad when I had to spend the couple days there on ward was that every patient has a monitor that is constantly beeping and every so often there are other audio alarms going off. 24/7. So a pair of good ear plugs would be good.

If Keg is going to be staying a few days I could definitely take him the items I mentioned if he would like.
In a way I wish my stay had been longer. See, you are at the top of my want to meet list.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-12-2019, 12:15 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I'm Edmonton and although i dont know your husband, if you need anything dropped off or a lift anywhere don't hesitate to ask. I'll pm you my phone #.
Thank you sir. I always knew you were a good guy.

If you are ever up this way be sure to drop by for a coffee, or a bed if you ever need one.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-12-2019, 12:16 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Keg.
You are a fixture on AO. We need you back to keep us on a higher level.
Thank you, what a nice thing to say.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-12-2019, 12:57 AM

Your well liked in this forum from a lot of members u must be a good man!! Prayers ur way for speedy recovery!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2019, 01:51 PM

Wink

Living up North, he must be a tough S.O.B.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
I’m certain he’ll do great.
Ken & Family
Old 12-12-2019, 06:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyMonster View Post
Living up North, he must be a tough S.O.B.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
I’m certain he’ll do great.
Ken & Family
LOL maybe by today's standards but I am a snowflake compared to the generation before me.

I know a man who accidentally blew off one leg in a hunting accident and then walked nearly ten miles to get help. When I was growing up some of the older trappers would head of into the bush, mid winter, with a rifle, a small pack of food supplies and one blanket. They'd camp under a spruce tree with just that blanket over their shoulders and a small fire, about the size of a dinner plate.

Tough is sitting with your brother while he is dying and then loading him on a sleigh and pulling him 20 miles to town the next day. My brother did that.

Tough is raising 16 kids in a one room log shack and keeping them all fed and healthy through to adulthood. My parents did that.

Tough is a 90 year old grandmother walking thirty miles on a -35 winter day to go visit her grandchildren. My neighbor did that.

We all have it so soft we have no concept of what real hardship is.
I have had a brief glimpse of what it might look like, but no real knowledge of what it feels like.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-12-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
In a way I wish my stay had been longer. See, you are at the top of my want to meet list.
It means a lot to me for you to say this. I am really glad you didn't have to stay longer and we will meet during better circumstances. I too will enjoy meeting you and will make every effort to make it happen.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-29-2019, 12:37 PM

I think NEXT year Keg and I need to plan a trip to visit parts of Alberta I have never seen and MAYBE get to see some of you great folks.

We did this on our 10th Anniversary and went North. Keg is so sweet he took me to Buffalo Airways and he EVEN put Buffalo Joe in my path so I could reach out and shake the man's hand. I am sure Joe has not been the same since.....ya know them Americans......they get crazy...

So KEG let's plan 2020 vacation to ramble through Alberta (trust me Honey I know I have done a lot of rambling around Alberta when I get lost locally.....**GRIN**) so hoping in 2020 we can meet some of youse fine folks.