Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2018, 09:06 PM
Banned

Default Bittersweet antelope 2018

Well back in the spring my dad, brother and myself decided that this would be the year for antelope. The ol boy had enough priority to draw a tag but my brother and I weren't to sure if we would but regardless I was gonna head south with the ol man if I had a tag or not. Along comes the draw date and wouldn't you know it. The three of us all drawn for trophy antelope. The "hellya" phone call went out and the planning began.

I got in touch with a ao member that I had bought a Yukon 1940 wood stove from the year before. We had kept in contact with a text here and there. Must of been within a few days Bob was sending me the odd text with a picture of antelope in it, asking is this one good enough? I'd reply sure but you tell me because I've never seen one before. After multiple pics Bob sent me of various antelope I knew we were in for a hunt of a lifetime.

Fast forward a couple of weeks to near the end of August. The ol man made a appointment to see his Dr. He was having severe neck pain. The Dr requested a ct scan that wouldn't be scheduled until Oct 15. Well that's no good I said and told him to get in touch with a private imaging lab. 2 days later he goes for a ct scan for a sore neck and comes home with brain and lung cancer. Well wtf do we do now was the question. The ol man went thru the cross cancer institute and come out feeling pretty good. Yep he said we're going. Perfect was the general consensus. Dad was doing good even with a few of the mix ups with the meds he was talking. Saturday of the thanksgiving weekend we had a family dinner and discussed more on the trip and what time I'd be there to pick him up. Things were good. Tuesday comes around and he was admitted into the hospital. The question come up "now What?". After talking to various family the opinion was that dad was excited to go and would not want us boys to miss out. After talking it over with my wife and brother it was decided that we were still going to be leaving for milk river on Saturday. Wednesday comes and goes. On Thursday my dad passed away. We were blessed that it was quick and painless just as my brother and I had wanted for dad.

With heavy hearts and missing our hunting partner we headed south. Telling stories about the ol man. We stopped in Calgary where a met tirebob Bob. A heckuva nice guy by the way. He set me up with some studded duratraks for my truck and a set of blizzaks for the wife's. If you've never drove in Calgary it will soon become apparent the many refer to drive with their heads up their arses. Had to drive all the way to claresholm before a could find a classy liquor store that sold baby duck wine. A hunting trip ain't a hunting trip without a bottle of baby duck to toast your game.

We get into milk river and checked into our room at the sandstone motel and decided we should go for a tour. I called Bob and asked if he wanted to to get together for a nightcap. Sure he said. We found our way to the can/us border via some back roads and proceeded to Bob's house. We had a couple of drinks and was honoured to meet Bob and his wife Jessie. Bob says ok I'll pick you guys up in the morning. So off we went back to our room.

Morning rolls around and we meet Bob in the restaurant along with a couple of friends and ao members of my brothers. After breakfast Rick and Ron go their way and we go ours. It is very clear that in the 60 years that Bob has lived along the border that there is not many square inches of ground that he hasn't covered. He showed us antelope and instructed us in the Do's and Don'ts along the border.

To be continued