Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2022, 07:20 AM

Default Out side yard deck permit.

I hired a large company about 15 years ago to pour a patio concrete deck out side about 15 x25 . Its not attached to the house but is attached to the drive way that goes along the house which is attached to the house.
Should I have gotten a city building permit ?
Old 04-21-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I hired a large company about 15 years ago to pour a patio concrete deck out side about 15 x25 . Its not attached to the house but is attached to the drive way that goes along the house which is attached to the house.
Should I have gotten a city building permit ?
https://www.edmonton.ca/city_governm...ng-regulations

The way I read it is your deck is in the back yard. So a permit isn’t needed.

If this is in the front yard… then keep quiet as you can’t permit it as it’s concrete. Paving stones would of been okay.

If concerned and you have the money you could put paving stones on top to hide it or look at stencils to make the look of bricks.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-21-2022, 07:50 AM
Banned

Such issues may only appear when, and if, you want to sell. A Real Property Report is required. The survey may expose an issue with the 'land use' clause that dictates how much of your property may be covered by any development. A friend in Calgary put a french door on the back wall of his 4 level split, included a small deck and a set of stairs leading down to an existing ground level deck without checking and without a permit. After he sold and left town he was summoned to court and fined over $3500.00 for violations to the code and tax laws. Your city codes may be different.

Also in Calgary, a concrete driveway is taxable but an asphalt one, being "portable" is not.

Free
Old 04-21-2022, 11:35 AM

I was planing on selling next year,maybe I go get a permit now to be on safe side .
Old 04-21-2022, 11:46 AM

Our old town required a permit if the deck was over 2 feet above the ground. Otherwise no permit necessary. Maybe that's something to look into if it's not going to be higher than grade level?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2022, 01:21 PM

J-R where are you located. I just sold my house in Calgary and had to update the RPR. I was concerned as it had an attached unpermitted deck. I found out the RPR looks at encroachments not permits. Now the deck permit issue did and was disclosed to the buyer but was not an issue for the RPR compliance stamp from the city

Edit just noted you are in Edmonton it may be different