Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-17-2012, 12:17 PM

Default Most memorable fishing with DAD or as DAD

Happy Fathers day to all DADS there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0258.jpg (44.8 KB, 137 views)
Old 06-17-2012, 12:27 PM

When I was about 10 my dad and I were on our small annual fishing derby in the fall at cross lake and we got up at 530 on the last day of the derby and hopped in the canoe. The air was numbinfg and the lake was like glass. The fog is what made it memorable though. It was so thick you couldn't see more then 20 feet around you and above you. As the sun was coming up it lit up the area around our canoe like a perfect glowing dome. Pike were jumping and making rings all around us. I ended up catching the biggest pike that morning and won my first tackle box. He was pretty proud of me
Old 06-17-2012, 01:39 PM

Just took my 2 year old daughter to the freshly stocked fish pond in town, got hooked into some scrappy little trout and let her reel them in, she was screaming and laughing histarically when the fish was flopping in the grass it was priceless! Yesterday i was filleting some walleye and she got right in there and was playing with the guts and skin, she has no fear! Definatley Daddy's little fishing partner in the making!

Fishing as a kid with my father in Babine Lake, he caught a big Steelhead and we got it in the boat, it started flopping around, eventually it jumped out of the boat! I will never forget it.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:45 PM

all of them!

there hasn't been a fish ive caught where he hasnt been there with me.

Happy Fathers day!
Old 06-17-2012, 01:46 PM

Fishing on Buckhorn Lake in Ont with my dad and my Uncle Alex when I was around 13. Nothing outstanding happened but it was so great to be out with him and able to put on my own worms!! (Thanks to my brother. He MADE me learn at 12 yrs old) I was so proud to be part of the group
Old 06-17-2012, 01:50 PM

My 5 year old and 3 year old daughters and myself goldeye fishing on the Red Deer River. All catch and release. They were catching fish so fast that I didn't even bother putting my own hook in the water. Another one was my daughters and myself in an ice fishing hut. We had an underwater camera. The jacks were hammering the bait and when they would not then the girls were watching the fish on the camera.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:59 PM

My most memorable fishing trip with my dad was his very last one. He was dying of advanced prostate cancer and knew he didn't have long to go. He had asked me if I could take him on one last salmon fishing trip. So I arranged with a buddy of mine who was a guide in Ucluelet to take us out. I got my mother to drive him down to the island and I had them booked into a small motel right at the dock.

I met them there and we met up with my friend Matt who was our guide. We also had another friend of mine come along to help get my dad in and out of the boat. Good thing too. As we needed all of us to do it.

We headed out and my dad really wanted to go for some halibut. He was in pain and took some meds. But he wanted to head out off shore. We first set some crab pots then we took the 20 mile run out and once there we were quickly into hali. The first one I called my dad over and told him he was up. He grabbed the rod and started pumping the hali to the surface. Half way up he said he didn't think he could do it. I told him he was going to reel that hali up even if it killed him. He laughed and was more determined to get it in. A few minutes later he landed the first hali of the day. He was thrilled that he finished the fight. It took a lot out of him. But he said it was worth it.

After limiting out on hailbut we headed back to shore. My dad was tired and wanted to head in for a rest. But wanted us to try for some salmon. The three of us headed back out and it wasn't long before I was into a tyee chinook. I landed a beautiful 40lb chinook. That was a thrill. We got a few other smaller salmon and finally went it. We pulled up the crab pots and were fortunate to bring in some crab on the way in.

My dad was waiting at the dock when we got back. You couldn't wipe the smile off his face. I will never ever forget that trip. It was by far the best fishing trip I have ever had period.

Rob
Old 06-17-2012, 02:12 PM

Fishing the bow river and catching around 10 browns all around 25inchs one at 27.5 in one spot!
Old 06-17-2012, 03:17 PM

I was about 10 , fishing out of our old 14ft springbok, catching walleye when dad hooked a big pike on 6lb tied straight to a jig. After a big fight and some paddling to chase it , I netted the 25lber for him. That was on fathers day way back when.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:31 PM

Being around when the old man pulled up his 28lb'er out of Travers a few years ago was pretty wicked! We've been hunting for something that size since i can remember first ice fishing, and seeing him finally get it was definitely memorable!
Old 06-17-2012, 05:07 PM

had so many it's hard to pick one . Fished with Dad lots ever since I was walking . Hopefully I'll get a few more in but have to go to the coast now to see him. Sockeye fishing the big run a couple years back was definately up there
Old 06-17-2012, 10:41 PM

Default One of the last trips we took

Hi: My Dad and I went quite a few fishing trips. But one of the most memorable was one of his last trips with me. We went to a lake that he talked about fishing when he was a kid. He would take the sleigh and horses there back in the day...he claimed to catch walleye by the bucket (he was know to embellish a story...as do I , Like Father like son; Right!?)

The day we went was Dad's day...he wanted to fish, so we fished. Dad wanted to eat...so we had a shore lunch. We caught and killed a few jacks (pike) that day. We cleaned them (and the wasps helped :-() ).

Then, he saw blue berries...so we picked a pint of those. Yeesh!

I was in my thirties by then and just learning what patience was all about.

Great Day; with a Great Man!

Hoopi
Old 06-17-2012, 11:03 PM
Banned

My dad is my primary fishin bud and has been for 37 years,,, there are so many stories and sometimes one of the crazier stiries slip out iin fromt of my mom,, the pricelessness of watching him get chewed out for things 30 years past is well priceless.

Most memorable is being his eyes in a terrifying switchback road to fish atop a mountain near kamloops. It was so beautiful that we ended up staying for 2 weeks as the outside world dissolved from memory.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:09 PM

Thumbs up

Best day(as a Dad) for me was a day spent on a small creek. Took the neighbor's boy out to chase brookies in the headwaters of a mountain creek; it had fished great a week before, thought he could pick a few up on hoppers (he had never fly fished before). My 12 year old daughter decided to tag along to take photos. Found the creek much higher & colder than the week before, making crossings tough for the kids. We managed a couple little brookies, then decided to head home before someone took a sudden cold swim. Along the way, we stopped at another creek where I'd fished many times before; the biggest fish I'd ever landed on this section of the creek was a 17" rainbow. Josh tried throwing a spinner with my ultralite spinning rod, while I tried a hopper/dropper on my 6ft 2wt fly rod. Then, magic...

^This 25" brown ate my nymph dropper in the riffle at the top of a pool, and all hell broke loose; a lotta fun on that little 2wt!
My daughter was about as excited as I was; she could tell that this was a very special fish. She took all of the pics above, except, of course, the last one; she insisted on releasing this gorgeous trout back to the creek. It was fantastic to share that experience with her!