Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-16-2012, 09:11 PM

Default NSR Fishing - Don't know the first thing about river fishing

Judging from my previous questions, you may have concluded that I have a bit to learn... So I figure I'll keep on my quest and give NSR fishing a try. There does not seem to be a shortage of spots - as far as I can tell anywhere you can find a spot on shore is good enough.

What I could use some help with is what tackle and bait is good for a beginner on the NSR. I'm not targeting any specific species, just would like to catch something and put it back.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:15 PM

Pm Sent.
Perch 50 +
Goldeye 10
Sauger 1
Sucker 5
Old 06-17-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonlazo2 View Post
Pm Sent.
i am also a new fisher, any chance i can get a copy of that email for tips?

8x northern Pike
4x northern pikeminnow
Old 06-17-2012, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climid View Post
count me in
Old 06-17-2012, 09:01 AM

That post could've been from me!can I get a copy of that pm as well.would be greatly appreciated.
We newbies should all go the river together one day.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:02 AM

Hey gents its been years since fishing the nsr. But back in the day there was a multitude of ways to fish the river. I have used worms on a single snelled hook with a weight tied about a foot bellow.. minnows on a single hook on a pickeral rig(which is a rig that has 2 hooks a foot apart with a weight on the bottom) dead fished which means just cast it out tighten your line and hold rod.
ANY spinners will work for casting, the old five of diamonds or red devil will work fine with a constant retrieval.
There are lures called weedless if you find yourself catching up on weeds.

I have caught goldeye on friggen tomatoes.
Look for slow moving water or little bays that have a point, fish just down stream of the point. Any transitions between fast moving or slow moving water fish just past transition. If there is a big boulder fish just just down stream where the water is calm.

Use 10 pound line or more, ummmmmmmmmmm of the top of my head that all I can think of....Really just go try and fish using your imagination there is nothing greater than finding a lure or sytle of fishing that you have come up with your self.

And as the saying goes

TIGHT LINES
Old 06-17-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climid View Post
Tysonlazo2 was kind enough to share the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonlazo2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm1
Quote:
k well right now the river is high and fast u can find the odd spot to fish where theres a little inlet that lets the water slow hermitage park down the path theres a little inlet with a big concrete outlet and whitemud creek off fox drive u can use spoons,jigs alot of people that fish the shore of the nsr if there not going for sturgeon use a pickeral rig with leeches,worms,minnows and any where from 1-5 oz of weight but remember right now the river is to fast for this method ur rig will just bounce down the river and get hung up if u want im a younger man been fishing all my life im 17 we could meet up at hermitage one day and do a little fishing
Thanks for the advice. I was checking out the river last week and it was moving fierce. I could sure use some mentorship in this area. My youngest daughter (10) is also into fishing, but has been unimpressed with my skills thus far. Maybe I'll check back in a week or so when the river settles down.
but yeh just hit me up if u wont some one to go with but if u go to hermitage ul lsee and just throw ur pickeral rig worms work the best i find u get everything except pike usually and u get a coupel rod holders tighen ur line and watch ur rod till the tip bounces
Do you use a float/bobber with the p-rig or does the current and line tension keep you off the bottom?
with a p-rig the weight sits on the bottom and ur fishing on and just off the bottom with both hooks one sits o most on the bottom and one sits a little higher with the river alot of the fish search the bottom for food because the current isent as fast and they follow the scent trail um k with this vidoe imagine not straight up and down imagine it at a angle