Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-18-2020, 02:10 PM

Default Outboard prop for NSR?

Just curious as I have very little experience with boating rivers around here. Does anyone run an outboard prop or is it pretty much all jet all the time.

Thanks for any and all feedback!
Old 04-18-2020, 02:15 PM

You ca nrun a prop drive but you need to know how to read a river or you are going to chew up a lot of props. If you are just learning, start with aluminum props, they bend easier but you don't bust up your gears and lower end. Leave the outboard unlocked so it will pop up if you hit something, remember to lock it to use reverse. Put a prop guard on. They reduce your thrust a bit but it does help in the rocks some.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:37 PM

I tried the "guarded prop" on the NSR, Barely lasted 1 trip. Next time I went, my boat had a Jet Leg on it. Not worth playing around with props on that river, or any AB river for that matter.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
I tried the "guarded prop" on the NSR, Barely lasted 1 trip. Next time I went, my boat had a Jet Leg on it. Not worth playing around with props on that river, or any AB river for that matter.
I ran a Zodiac with a 35 horse Johnson prop drive on the NSR, Peace, Athabasca, Smoky, Wapati and a raft of other rivers for many years. I always carried a spare prop and any time I had to put the spare on I turned around and went back down river to the launch point, but I didn't have to do that very often. Jets are a little easier but they don't like being dragged through the sand and rocks either so you still need to be able to read the river. On top of that, being able to use a jet means you need the right boat and enough horses to compensate for the thrust loss of the Jet Drive.

OP asked if the NSR was doable with a prop, my experience varies from yours so always good to have different perspectives.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:33 PM

It was not worth the risk and worry IMO, didn't enjoy being on the river worrying about hitting something. Plenty of deeper slow stretches which look safe but have a boulder submerged inches below surface, never see them until too late.
I run the same, Zodiac with 35 Johnson Jet as well.
OP can give it a try, just always go upstream from boat launch and carry a couple good paddles.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:28 PM

I’m on the river all the time in the summer. I see the odd guy out with a prop but they usually don’t go very far from the boat launch. Also watch the river levels. Definitely don’t go out if the river is low. There’s a app for that. Super handy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk