Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2024, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
One like this would be an awesome little solo hunting and adventure camper for a half ton.

https://youtu.be/eeQs1tYtuvM?si=PgvF47Nd5reGPf7W

That’s really a nice lightweight option but once you have a bed over the cab you’ll never want to go back.
Old 01-02-2024, 02:45 PM

I have had several.
Pros
Get anywhere
can pull a boat or quad easy
That's it

Cons:
Everything not listed above. lol

Biggest thing is keeping them covered up when not in use.
I build a small pole shed with a box that I would take the camper off the truck right out front, then rolled the plywood box out, lowered the camper onto it, then pushed it inside the pole shed(this way my shed could be much lower) also my roller set up you could push it in and out with one hand.
Or they rot, especially in the front and around the jacks, most don't seal properly around the jack mounting plates and water gets into the frame of unit and eventually will rot it out, huge pain to repair, old ones rotted around the front windows.
Top heavy, even on my dually I put airbags on it so it took sway away from it.

I would never go back to a truck camper unless, I was just looking to go fishing all the time.
Old 01-02-2024, 03:54 PM

I have had this 1997 10' Slumber Queen for 15 years now and we love it. I have had it on a 2002 Dodge 2500 regular cab diesel, a 2006 GMC 2500 diesel extended cab, a 2010 Dodge regular cab 2500 Hemi and now on a Dodge a 2016 Dodge 2500 quad cab Hemi.No problem carrying with any vehicle , but the diesels are better.
I recommend making sure the camper is suited for your truck as far as designed for a long box or short box.
As well I had installed a Stabil-lift system after almost loosing my camper when trying to load it . The corner jacks started to give out when it was raised, scared the heck out of me. So when I saw this system it was perfect for me and the way we use our camper. We don't go off road unless the roads are in good condition.
Not the best picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2384.jpg (31.4 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by Sitting Bull; 01-02-2024 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 07:01 PM

Old 01-02-2024, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Looks like his CG was off a wee bit!
Old 01-02-2024, 08:38 PM

That looks fine. I've limped worse than that home lol. Just get a bunch of weight in the top bed so the rear jacks dont drag too much.
Old 01-03-2024, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Being a bit of a minimalist, I've always liked the smaller sizes, happy with an 8 ft. , all you really need and few places you can't take it. The idea of dragging your house along when you go "camping" seems stupid to this cowboy.
I just shake my head at some of these monstrosity 5'th wheels going down the road. I can't help but to think someone is camping all wrong. But that's just me.
Old 01-03-2024, 07:51 AM

Had an 8' on a 3/4 ton used it a lot for hunting and fishing

Pro's
freedom to sleep anywhere perfect for overnighters
pull over for a hot lunch when traveling
Pull a boat

Con's
unloading the unit
Launching a boat is very difficult
the furnace was loud like a 747 kicking in
If you need to take your truck somewhere while camping you have to break camp
Not much room for storage lawn chairs were a problem

While I liked it the wife didn't sold it bought a a pull behind
Old 01-03-2024, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
I just shake my head at some of these monstrosity 5'th wheels going down the road. I can't help but to think someone is camping all wrong. But that's just me.
I can't believe folks need more than a lean-to and a Buffalo robe. I can't help but think someone is camping all wrong. But that's just me.

With respect to launching a boat, a ball hitch on the front makes launching and recovery very slick and easy. Works especially well if you have a longer than your box camper.
Old 01-03-2024, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
With respect to launching a boat, a ball hitch on the front makes launching and recovery very slick and easy. Works especially well if you have a longer than your box camper.
At a busy launch making the switch from back to front was a problem although launching the boat was easier
Old 01-03-2024, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
At a busy launch making the switch from back to front was a problem although launching the boat was easier
I used to switch mine around before I ever got in line. That way it wasn't cramped for manoeuvring. It is quite easy to control a boat when pushing it, even if you get a few strange looks. Most people, once they saw how slick it was, wanted to know how to do it to their rigs.

Last edited by Dean2; 01-03-2024 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-03-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
What is the right way to camp?
I worry that maybe I've never done it right.
This is so embarrassing...
Old 01-03-2024, 08:33 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY5zoA_-CMI

Some dialogue on the Ram with the bent frame.
Old 01-03-2024, 08:37 AM

We like the 12’ bigfoot with a slide but had to stay with our motorhome cause of pulling my enclosed with atv’s. I hated pulling with the hitch extension.
If i dis it again i would do what a friend did put is on a flat deck dually and built a custom hitch set up with proper weight rating
Old 01-03-2024, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
We like the 12’ bigfoot with a slide but had to stay with our motorhome cause of pulling my enclosed with atv’s. I hated pulling with the hitch extension.
If i dis it again i would do what a friend did put is on a flat deck dually and built a custom hitch set up with proper weight rating
That was what we did, but then it got to the point that the old camper was close to it's end of use, and I was starting to feel uncomfortable climbing down from the overhead bunk. So we built our own camper/trailer and dropped it onto the tandem deck over. Now the front bed isn't way up there and it's wrapped in 1 1/2 styro so virtually waterproof which takes care of many problems the old campers had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001.jpg (71.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg P1010017 (1).jpg (112.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg P1010019 (1).jpg (82.3 KB, 95 views)
Old 01-03-2024, 09:38 AM

I would like to do a cargo trailer that will fit my boat inside. Offload the boat and set the cargo trailer up to sleep in.
Old 01-03-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
I would like to do a cargo trailer that will fit my boat inside. Offload the boat and set the cargo trailer up to sleep in.
They actually sell those in the States. You see a lot of them at tournaments. If keeps the boats, motors and all the tackle/electronics much safer. Once the boat is off loaded they use them as a workshop but could be used as living quarters very easily. There are lots of models but the ones with the boat rollers built right into the floor and a flat floor surface were the slickest.

One example

https://www.shieldtrailers.com/
Old 01-03-2024, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
What is the right way to camp?
I worry that maybe I've never done it right.
This is so embarrassing...
Hudsons Bay blanket, knife and a little box with some tinder. That's how it's done.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-03-2024, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Hudsons Bay blanket, knife and a little box with some tinder. That's how it's done.
If you're already packing tinder, you may as well pull a trailer so you can have your ice machine and a blender too.
Old 01-03-2024, 06:49 PM

Packing "tinder" is for siseys. Its in the bush where you do REAL camping.
Old 01-03-2024, 09:57 PM

So is the exterior a layer of fibreglass over the styrofoam? Looks neat.

QUOTE=CanuckShooter;4689007]That was what we did, but then it got to the point that the old camper was close to it's end of use, and I was starting to feel uncomfortable climbing down from the overhead bunk. So we built our own camper/trailer and dropped it onto the tandem deck over. Now the front bed isn't way up there and it's wrapped in 1 1/2 styro so virtually waterproof which takes care of many problems the old campers had.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-04-2024, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Looks like his CG was off a wee bit!
His centre of gravity is fine being a long box 8’ bed(just a long ass camper) This camper weighs like 4500-5000 lbs unfortunately his ram 3500 did not have enough payload. Most people are running a 450 or 4500 truck with that camper.

I don’t understand the guys saying launching a boat is tough with camper. You need some trailer backing lessons using your side mirrors, can’t always look out your back window.
Old 01-04-2024, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I don’t understand the guys saying launching a boat is tough with camper. You need some trailer backing lessons using your side mirrors, can’t always look out your back window.
Take the confidence up a notch and mount a backup camera on the top of the camper tied to key on power. Well worth the money, and also useful while driving.
Old 01-04-2024, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
His centre of gravity is fine being a long box 8’ bed(just a long ass camper) This camper weighs like 4500-5000 lbs unfortunately his ram 3500 did not have enough payload. Most people are running a 450 or 4500 truck with that camper.

I can tell you don't own a large camper and think making fun of people is a useful endeavour.

The issue isn't being able to back the trailer in properly, the issue is that the larger campers stick out past the box and hang down quite low. Many launches, the tail of the camper is in the water before you get the trailer in far enough. That is not good for any camper.

Old 01-04-2024, 03:00 PM

20 years back we had a 8ft smaller camper on my 99 f-150 with 6.5 box fit on with tail gate down , was nice to get into spots , crown , as opposed to using camp grounds .
I never liked using that hydraulic jacks . I would rent geared camper jacks from sunbelts rentals were more sturdy . eventually I bought a set of my own stored them in the truck bed.
What i most remember was hauling the camper the ford 4.6 mileage went to S%&*. went down to like 9-10 mpg even with a fairly light camper .

With kids are long moved out , wife does not care for camping anymore . just me and the dog hunting and couple summer camping trips with coworkers.
I sleep in the truck box with canopy , cott , get a little micro tv and radio .
Old 01-04-2024, 05:28 PM

[QUOTE=ghfalls;4689226]So is the exterior a layer of fibreglass over the styrofoam? Looks neat.

It could have been, this one I used an old boat building technique.

10 oz canvas glued to the styro with Titebond glue, then once well dried several coats of waterproof Behr stain.

It's been in service for 3 years now, outside all the time and zero issues.

Besides my fear of the expense of fiberglass/epoxy [no experience with it] I felt the canvas/paint would maintain some flexibility that I'd have lost with the fiberglass covering. Lots of guys use it, just not for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 67B65746-F5F8-42E1-AFD7-F500EFB030FF.JPG (109.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 01-05-2024, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I can tell you don't own a large camper and think making fun of people is a useful endeavour.
I can tell you can’t read very well, as mentioned earlier in this thread I run a northern lite 10-2 which is definitely on the larger side of campers. I have launched my boat hundreds of times with camper on, no issues at all.

I have never ever seen a camper come close to touching the water launching a boat. Would have to be a very special case, maybe a low to the ground 2wd with a massive 12’ eagle cap camper also launching a huge boat/trailer in a very gradual lake/launch. Very unlikely…

Keep in mind those bigger campers all require 3-5’ hitch’ extensions which helps even more to keep your tires on dry ground

Last edited by Kyle; 01-05-2024 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2024, 11:14 AM

Just my thoughts, when trucks went from 8 foot box to 6 feet then no longer designed to carry truck bed campers.
Old 01-06-2024, 05:01 PM

I 'm on truck camper # 8 now . The first one, I had to build for my short box truck back in the 80s because no one build short box campers in 1980. All the older campers were great because they all had gravity furnaces ,but thats about it . Very heavy and the corners rotten out . Newer cambers are much better . Times have changed ,its hard to find a camper for a 8 ft box now ,most are for 6 ft boxes .
I finally found a 1999 Bigfoot 8.5 ft long and its perfect on my GMC HD3500 (8ft box) while pulling my boat . Yes it has a small bathroom I'm 200 lbs and i still get in there and even take a shower . I think it only weights 750 kg . It did not come with air conditioner ,but that did not stop me from placing one in the window once in a camp stall. Next one will have electric jacks ,takes me 20 mins to load this one.
My camper always comes off when i get to a lake for a week .
If i go fishing for only two days that camper stays at home ,because once you add up extra fuel and your camp stall costs ($55 a night plus wood) and the time getting your camber ready you are farther ahead getting a motel room that has a lot more comforts than a camper . I'm out there to go fishing not sitting in a campground but wife thanks differently .Lol
If anyone has any leads on electric jacks give me a pm please

Last edited by -JR-; 01-06-2024 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-07-2024, 02:58 PM

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trail...per/1681639117

This one might suit you well. Looks decent and electric jacks on it already. In cram room, though.