Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-26-2016, 02:04 PM

Default antique pistol value

I have two 44 bulldog antique pistols in fair to good shape, plating shows wear. octagon barrels on both. I am looking for an approximate resale value and am not sure where to look?
Old 05-26-2016, 04:15 PM

When you say bulldog, do they look similar to this, the pistol can go for 900 in not bad shape.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:02 PM

FYI - an antique pistol has a manufacture date of 1898 or older. What is the date of your pistols in question? Octagon barrels would suggest it is an antique, single action to me. Pictures are worth 1000 words and another 1000 opinions...so don't take anyone's appraisal value too seriously on here.

You need to get them professional appraised to understand what they are worth and how to care/handle them. You can do your own research by scanning auction catalogs; James Julia is a great place to start and you can search all their past auctions on their website. They have sold thousands, if not millions, of antique pistols.

Note:insurance values are NOT market values. Insurance values are always higher because its based on repairing/replacing the exact item or as close as possible. Market values are based on rarity, condition, desirability, previous prices paid and future collectability. At an auction, prices are subjective because of the audience and who's bidding, but overall they are a great place to start in terms of valuing an antique.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:19 AM

^^^ not just 1898 or older for antique status, also depends on caliber of the original pistol. Some calibers may still be restricted or prohibited due to barrel lenth. OP said 44? 44russian? Post some pics of maker and proof marks and anything else stamped of pistol
Old 05-27-2016, 08:19 AM

Thanks PGH I will look there. I will also post some pics