Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 AM

Default FYI Surf fishing in mexico links

While getting ready for my trip to Mazatlan I ran into this page, it's pretty solid info to get an idea on what you need to get started. it seems to be good for all of the mexican pacific so Puerto Vallarta and Cabo are covered to an extent a well.

http://surfishmexico.pbworks.com/w/p...5723/FrontPage

This site has a decent list of the fish you could catch but it includes boat fishing as well.

http://www.reel1in.com/Fish-Species.html
Old 02-16-2011, 12:19 PM

Were there any related articles for the east coast?
Old 02-16-2011, 03:20 PM

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/

Everything you need to know on Surf Fishing, East Coast , West Coast, Look up HPD, High Plains Drifter - he is the surf fishing Rooster guy for Mexico.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlYiNGuY View Post
http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/

Everything you need to know on Surf Fishing, East Coast , West Coast, Look up HPD, High Plains Drifter - he is the surf fishing Rooster guy for Mexico.
Just looked at your first link, THATS HPD!, haha
See all his posts @ link above.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:57 PM

Yup thats the dude it took some digging to find his personal blog, whoever runs that forum has a hate on for links to other sites.

The nice thing about his personal blog is it filters out most of the crap.

I need to find more info on the less sexy fish like surf perch. Since I don't have alot of mobility so I would like to be able to fish for what ever is there.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:48 AM

Another good link a big list of what is there to catch

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/fish.htm

In 8 days i'll be on the beah fishing getting stoked!!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:52 PM

From my experience I have been more successful fishing for the small fish in the more touristy areas than the big predators that everyone dreams about. The rig I use is simple, doesn't take much tackle and is effective. I use Carolina rigs with 1-3" grubs and do well for the smaller species and even the odd surprise bigger one. What you need:
Egg sinkers (0.5-1oz)
Beads
Swivels
Leader (8-14 pound fluoro usually)
Size 4-8 hooks
Grub or minnow bodies (translucent colors with flecks work best and double tails will out produce singles with the 2" double tail being king).

This rig is simple to set up and effective. Just bomb it out, let it sink to bottom and retrieve in a jerky fashion keeping contact with the bottom. 2-4 feet of leader is usually adequate. Good colors are smoke with black flecks, pumpkin seed, root beer, and clear with silver flecks.

For rod, reel and line your standard Alberta walleye combo will do. I now use a 8' travel rod with a 4000 size Shimano Stradic loaded with 10 pound braid. 8' rod + 10 pound braid + 1oz sinker = 120 yard casts on average. The capacity is something like 300 yards of 10 lb so if I get something bigger its not a lost cause. The other spool has 220 ish of 20 lb braid for bigger critters. I used to use a 7'6'' medium action and it did just fine, the length just lets you get out there a bit more. Braid is king in this realm.

Bring a couple bigger single hooks or circle hooks (2/0 to 4/0 octopus or 5/0 circle) for bigger stuff if you see any, as well as a wire leader. If you catch a bait sized fish you can rig it to swim with a circle hook behind the dorsal for cudas or jacks. Bring some 20-40 pound leader material for these fellows. You might want to bring a couple 0.5 oz kastmasters or other small metal spoons as well as a middle size olive clackin rap. Both good lures for the suds.

All the tackle I need for this style of fishing fits in a double sided 6" by 4" box and will give you hours of fun. Fish in the morning and evening for better results but mid day might surprise you. Barbless makes life easier, hope this helps, have fun.