Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-03-2011, 11:08 AM

Thanks, Skybuster. Very helpful.

We are planning the first full week of July, 3 - 9.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:44 PM

Default Timing

Dang, that's too bad. I have a trip planned for the week ahead of you. Coming home on July 1. Not sure if we'll do Rupert or Kitimat yet, but leaning toward Rupert and staying at a hotel, going out for dayfishing.

At any rate good luck with your trip. You should catch the tail end of the big springs in either spot. Just fish where all the other boats are, and listen to the radio.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 PM
AO Sponsor

I can't waittttt for fishing season....you guys will be into lots of fish I'm sure

Jamie...tempted to start a salmon fishing 2011 thread but will let you have honours my friend
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 03-04-2011, 09:15 AM

Hi boku,

Most of the advice has been real sound. I have fished the PR area for about 9 years in a row - to be honest, a 17' Lund on any part of the ocean is just risky. That being said, there is one safe place where you could fish for the salmon without taking a big risk. If you look on a map, there is a channel known as work channel just north of PR. There is a logging road with a boat launch right at the end of it. If you launch in work channel and travel up it by boat, there is a small bay just before the end (known as trail bay). This water (although ocean) is much like a lake - never more then 6 inch swells. It can be busy with many small boats - but the salmon are there. (I have personally hauled a 39lb chinnook out of there). So, if you decide you are taking your boat to fish in PR anyways, this is the one safe area you can do it.

I am not encouraging you - just giving you a bit of knowledge I have learned over the past few years. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:30 PM

Default Work Channel

I have never been in Work Channel, but I have heard it is very good fishing. However I have also heard that the road in is a nightmare. Do you know if it has been cleaned up?
Old 03-04-2011, 04:45 PM

Default access to Work Channel

spopadyne - thanks for the input.

I have been looking at Work Channel. Where specifically is the boat ramp?
Is it at the south end off of Work Channel Road,that goes north off of Hwy 16 just before it gets to Hecate Strait about 40 km east of Rupert?

If I am right on this then we would launch the boat and run up the channel, which looks to be about a 40 km run.

And I am also wondering if any one knows what the condition of the road is. [my son drives a 4X4]

And, does any one know if there are any facilities (fuel, lodging, food) up near the mouth. Somewhere I read there was a lodge-on-a-barge in that area.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:46 PM

Default Work channel

There was a barge up there 2 seasons ago but when we went up there last year it wasn't there. If you do go, if things get boring you can go out to the mouth and usually see whales feeding there. We sat last year and watched and at one point there was 12 orcas and close to 100 eagles all feeding. The eagles sit up in the trees and wait for any wounded or half eaten salmon to float up to the top. It was amazing to see the orcas too they would take turns and sit in the current just on the edge and feed on all the fish that were getting blown out of the channel. We fish a 24ft trophy hardtop and the current is strong enough when the tide goes out that our 9.9kicker just holds us in place when it's wide open throttle.
We also have had good luck out at squatteree too which isn't much further out than Lucy island. Between the work, Lucy and squatteree there is easily a weeks worth of excellent fishing and if you can make it to dundas island on a good day that's a bonus
Old 03-04-2011, 08:37 PM

The barge contact is oceanwild 12506278682 or email. Oceanwild@citytel.net