Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-19-2016, 09:31 PM
Banned

Default First time Bench rest shooter report

Last night, May 18, I went to the Medicine Hat Rifle and Revolver club to try my hand at bench rest shooting. I was using my son's Weatherby Vangaurd S2 in 243, handloads, with an old Redfield Hunter scope. I went into the hunter class because, well, it's a hunting rifle, not a bench rest rifle.

I showed up really early and got the rifle sighted in pretty good and I was happy. I watched the first line shoot, got a feel for it, asked a few questions, and then it was my time to shoot. First tester shot was good, I was happy with it so I shoot my targets. The wind was from right to left, but I was happy with that first shot. Second shot was low and right. I adjust for it, do another test shot and I'm happy again. Anyway, out of the 16 shots I took, I was all over the place.

I have shot these loads before. They are really good loads, especially for my limited time with reloading. I was taught by a great member of this forum earlier this year. What I realized is that when I was sighting in before, I always let the rifle cool pretty good. But with a minimum of 6 shots in 10 minutes, the nerves of "competition", I realized that I need to do some work on the rifle. I also didn't realize that the sight can only be on 6 power and I sighted in at 9 power.

My scores, combined in the 2 rounds was 54. Not a single X but I managed one 10, a couple of 8's and then some "horrible" shots.

After all was said and done, scores tallied, then the learning started. A few great members took some time to go over a few tips and tricks for helping to get the rifle shooting even better.

I can't wait to go back next week!
Old 05-19-2016, 09:46 PM

Glad you had fun, now you know what to correct next time!
Cat
Old 05-20-2016, 06:03 AM

That is very cool. I would like to give that a try someday myself. What distance were you shooting at?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2016, 08:21 AM
Banned

This was 100 yards. I missed the first week but it will be 4 weeks at 100, 200, and 300 for a total of 12 weeks.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:22 AM

Awesome. Let us know how you make out.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:06 AM
Shooting Xs

Smile

Glad you enjoyed yourself Scott ,come a little early again and we'll see if we can get your rifle dialed in a bit better.
We're trying to keep this a friendly competition ,nothing too serious, get some trigger time in ,learn some new things and have fun.
We'll see you and your buddies next week.
PS-Remember what I said about Big Louie.
(now you know who's posting)
Old 05-21-2016, 10:06 AM
Banned

Careful Scott, it's addictive. Glad you enjoyed it. Good luck on your next round.

A couple of tips if I may:

1. Remove the sling studs from your forend and buttstock.

2. If the one shot ended up low as you mentioned, watch that you don't squeeze the rear bag.

3. If you're a newbie at reading wind condition, try sending your shots at similar wind conditions, direction, velocity.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:23 AM

Sounds like fun. Is it open to everyone? How does a person join?
Old 05-21-2016, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
Glad you enjoyed yourself Scott ,come a little early again and we'll see if we can get your rifle dialed in a bit better.
We're trying to keep this a friendly competition ,nothing too serious, get some trigger time in ,learn some new things and have fun.
We'll see you and your buddies next week.
PS-Remember what I said about Big Louie.
(now you know who's posting)
I'm still trying to remember all the names but I think I remember, lol.

This week I'm going to change it up a bit I think. I just sold of my rifles and bought one for the wife. I'm going to bring that down, get it sighted in and see how it does. Remington 700 VTR in .308. Hopefully I can get it working well enough to shoot. Either way, I'll be there barring the monsoons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Careful Scott, it's addictive. Glad you enjoyed it. Good luck on your next round.

A couple of tips if I may:

1. Remove the sling studs from your forend and buttstock.

2. If the one shot ended up low as you mentioned, watch that you don't squeeze the rear bag.

3. If you're a newbie at reading wind condition, try sending your shots at similar wind conditions, direction, velocity.
The sling studs are not removable on Chase's rifle. I will try and get them out on the wife's new one.

I am trying to keep my arms as far away from the bags as I can. I'm not using a bench rest stand, front and rear bag only. I think it was more to do with the stock, although I'm sure there's quite a bit that's me too.

While in Medicine Hat I have been shooting a lot. I'm getting better at reading the wind and making the scope adjustments, but still learning/practicing. That's why I keep shooting more too.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:12 PM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shr970 View Post
Sounds like fun. Is it open to everyone? How does a person join?
The Bench Rest league is open to members of the Medicine Hat Rifle &Revolver club .The fee is $30.00/season or $5.00 / drop in.
Not sure it would be practical for you to travel from Calgary ,but if you're around the Hat on a Wednesday evening and want to give it a try i'm sure we could get you in as a guest.
There's more info on our Website @www.mhrrc.ca if anybody is interested in the BR league,Cowboy action shoot ,tactical and practical pistol shoots ,3 gun ,etc.
Scott , I was the guy collecting the fee's.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:48 PM
Banned

Yes, hard guy to forget, lol.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:23 PM
Banned

She won't be coming down but the rifle will. We'll see how it shoots with some cheap factory ammo before I reload for it. I can't find any brass right now either so this gets me started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2016, 03:37 PM

Sound like fun too bad i am to far ,maybe there is a place around edmonton like it ?
Old 05-22-2016, 03:41 PM

Couldn't help she's holding that like a lefty, is the bolt perhaps on the wrong side? Lol
Old 05-22-2016, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
Couldn't help she's holding that like a lefty, is the bolt perhaps on the wrong side? Lol
Quite observant but she will always be holding this on the wrong side. She prefers a right handed rifle as that's what her Dad and brothers had growing up. She still shoot's lefty though. With her bow too.

I'm lucky enough to be ambidextrous enough from a bench to shoot the rifle right or left, and a bow right or left. Haven't tried my hand at off hand, off hand shooting. lol
Old 05-25-2016, 10:03 PM
Banned

Round 2 for me this week. Like I said earlier, I shot my wife's Rem 700 VTR in .308. I managed to pull my scores up a bit. I cheated myself by a point when looking at my sheets agin but officially I ended with a 67. Talking with the guys and following some tips on here helped me as well as it being my second time out, I was more calm in my shooting.

I used Federal Power Shok 150 grain rounds, the cheap blue box stuff. As well as trying to read the wind (not a lot tonight), learn the new rifle, and try and learn the scope proved to be a little challenging but very rewarding and satisfying.

After the shoot, me and another guy went to the 200 yard range. I had one really good 3 shot group, "slightly" less than 1" 3 shot group.And playing with the scope a little more I finally got it pretty close. With some decent hand loads I should be able to get this rifle a bit better, if not just more consistent.

One more week at 100 yards and then out to 200!!