Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-21-2017, 10:31 AM

Default Calling Ruger No.1 Experts

Hey guys, I am looking to pick up a used Ruger No.1. Since calibers are limited in each year of production, I would like to know if there are some calibers to stay away from. In other words, were there any poor performers in the Ruger No.1 line. I am looking for a nice example of wood and a nice caliber for typical Alberta hunting.
Any feed back and knowledge you can pass on the No.1 and or calibers would be great. I am not looking for magnums or big bores. Just a great all purpose caliber and easy to reload.
Thanks
Old 01-21-2017, 10:46 AM

There is a lot of misconception IMO on what constitutes a good No1 and a bad one .
Over the years I have owned them in every configuration and danged near every cartridge available , I like be 'em!
There were some issues years ago with their barrels but nothing that could not be dealt with as far as hunting rifles go that don't get shot at targets fir group size .
Triggers can be tuned if need be and the forends can be accurized as well if a person is not happy with the accuracy they experience .
Look around for what you want and grab it ,there are no bad no1's, just different ones!

Cat
Old 01-21-2017, 12:34 PM

The CAT says it all.

Any No1 that I have seen shoots well enough for hunting right out of the box. With a bit of fine tuning on the reloads I got my 30-06 to cloverleaf 5 rounds at 100 yards consistently.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 01-21-2017, 01:42 PM

I'm far from an expert but have used No.1's in .270 Win and .338 Win mag and both were a pleasure. I'm with cat on this one I don't think there is a "bad No.1".
Old 01-21-2017, 01:50 PM

Individually bad rifles do come along(often a function of someone's self imposed abuse).

Specific to a certain chambering, not so likely.

Ruger #1's are one of your safer buys as a used rifle.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-21-2017, 01:53 PM
Banned

They have intrigued me as well, ill keep watching this thread. The only single i have now is a pedersoli Billy dixon in a 45-70 but love it. Ive heard the no.1 can handle crazy pressures in that cartridge, but need to research it more.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:09 PM

I've only ever shot a #1 in 30-06, and that was a terrible experience. I have never shot another 30-06 that kicked that hard, so it left a bad taste. Having said that, I have been keeping my eyes open for a #1, just maybe in a smaller caliber.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:01 PM

I like Ruger #1s and #3s for their classic good looks. I still own a couple but they have been heavily worked over. That said, on average they are not great shooters without a lot of extra work. If you call 2 to 3" out of the box good enough for hunting then they are fine. I expect a whole bunch better than that for the price.

Out of the box, the Rugers suffer from 1st shot POI being different than the rest of the group, shots stringing as barrel heats up, variations in POI depending on where the pressure is on the forearm, don't tolerate Bi-pods at all and are difficult to shoot off sticks. Tuning the triggers is a job for a professional, most home gunsmiths should NOT play with them. Scopes can be difficult to mount and get proper eye relief. Other than that they are great.

If you like the single shot idea and a very similar look and style, the Browning and Winchester 1885s will consistently out shoot the Rugers out of the box. Most 1885s will do well under an inch with no tuning.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:20 PM

Default #1

Cat and many others would likely sacrifice me to the gun gods if they knew me, but I actually had my rail removed and Richard near built me a picatinny rail that mounts on the posts and allows far more mounting options and strength. You lose a bit of the classic look but it's all about function for me. Honestly don't know if I give the 300wm enough time but not sure I would ever part with it. Everyone should own one they are a classic firearm.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=Dean2;3449437]I like Ruger #1s and #3s for their classic good looks. I still own a couple but they have been heavily worked over. That said, on average they are not great shooters without a lot of extra work. If you call 2 to 3" out of the box good enough for hunting then they are fine. I expect a whole bunch better than that for the price.

Out of the box, the Rugers suffer from 1st shot POI being different than the rest of the group, shots stringing as barrel heats up, variations in POI depending on where the pressure is on the forearm, don't tolerate Bi-pods at all and are difficult to shoot off sticks. Tuning the triggers is a job for a professional, most home gunsmiths should NOT play with them. Scopes can be difficult to mount and get proper eye relief. Other than that they are great.

If you like the single shot idea and a very similar look and style, the Browning and Winchester 1885s will consistently out shoot the Rugers out of the box. Most 1885s will do well under an inch with no tuning.[/QUOTED TE]

I think all the new Rugers I owned (1A, 1B , and two 1V's) all shot at least 1.5" five shot groups , but I have never kept a Ruger in factory form for long .
As far as the triggers go, I think advanced tuning such as stoning sears should be left to the pros , but small screw type adjustments can be easily done by most .The Highwall is a nice rifle but I do not like the open hammer coupled with a lot of scopes on the ones I have owned when working with gloved hands .
I never owned one from new in box but I can speak to the factory accuracy personally as I have owned a few un modified B78's and 1885's and they shoot well.
Given the choice between the two I would pick a Ruger however .
Cat
Old 01-21-2017, 04:30 PM

#1's are like really beautiful woman. Chances of getting your heart broken are pretty good. Over the years I have owned 11 of them from the Hornet up to a .405 Winchester. Some have shot well and some were total crap. All needed some tuning. Will I ever own another? You bet!
Old 01-21-2017, 04:48 PM

Only thing I'd be careful with on a #1, or an 1885, is the same stuff I'd be careful with on any other gun. Is it chambered in a known overbore throat burning cartridge? Look at the throat and the muzzle like you would any other used gun, just a bit closer on some cartridges. There are/were some retrofit triggers for the #1, some are good, some not really an improvement, if it has one. And the 1A and 1S should come with rings, they came with the gun.
If you are dealing with the original owner and it shoots, he will usually tell you what it likes.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
They have intrigued me as well, ill keep watching this thread. The only single i have now is a pedersoli Billy dixon in a 45-70 but love it. Ive heard the no.1 can handle crazy pressures in that cartridge, but need to research it more.
Heck. You want to learn about hot rod 45 in a Ruger, go 450NE 3-1/4 and do it without the high pressure.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:07 PM

Ruger No. 1A in 308 Win and 1A in 280 Rem. Both great!

Last edited by Nyksta; 01-21-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:16 PM

I have a few #1"s and never had a problem with the new one out of the box. My 220 swift shot 3 touching the first time I shot it at 100 yards. I have shot ground squirrel's out to 600 yd's with it. My 6.5 by 284 is just as good. I did buy a used 204 that shot lousy and it took a lot of playing around to get it to shoot good, I had to adjust the fore stock, That helped a lot. But what helped the most was a week of cleaning with copper cleaner. I do love shooting all of them but I do not have any big bores.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:14 AM

Ruger #1 are good rifles. They do not have the extraction power of a bolt action . There are plenty of configurations of them available , get one and enjoy . I prefer a # 1 for gopher shooting when shooting off a portable bench .
Old 01-22-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Ruger No. 1A in 308 Win and 1A in 280 Rem. Both great!

Very nice rifles.
What do I have to do to find nice wood? The ones I have seen have been the real light and boring wood.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Very nice rifles.
What do I have to do to find nice wood? The ones I have seen have been the real light and boring wood.
Find an earlier one.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:43 AM

You can also buy pre-finished bolt on stocks with real fancy wood if you don't want to hunt for one with good wood.

Just one of many places that sells them. These guys are pretty reasonably priced. They will carve the stock to your existing wood or use their own pattern. As I say there are many places offering this service for the #1.

http://www.treebonecarving.com/ruger...-3-stocks.html
Old 01-22-2017, 10:46 AM

Currently Ruger has a .308 win, stainless , with the international stock. Personally I like the look of the full wood stock. I have one ordered and it has crossed my mind as to weather or not the full wood stock will negatively effect accuracy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Find an earlier one.
Both of those are rather new. 2014 and 2015 as thats when i discovered my appreciation for them. In sunlight the wood looks better than under artificial light. As for protecting my guns for the outdoors i regularly wipe a very light coating of Renaissance wax for all the non-moving parts including the inside of the foreend wood. Extremely light coating of Grease for the action.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax

Last edited by Nyksta; 01-22-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Both of those are rather new. 2014 and 2015 as thats when i discovered my appreciation for them. In sunlight the wood looks better than under artificial light. As for protecting my guns for the outdoors i regularly wipe a very light coating of Renaissance wax for all the non-moving parts including the inside of the foreend wood. Extremely light coating of Grease for the action.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax
The wood has taken a dive in the last year or two. Does the odd nice one still happen? Sure, but on average the wood has really gone down hill.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:19 AM

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...04-Ruger-1-303

There is a 303 on CGN with pretty good wood right now.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

NIB so if a guy wants a new .303 minus tax there's your rifle!
Cat
Old 01-22-2017, 11:31 AM

That 303 tempts me weekly....
Old 01-22-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathon17 View Post
Currently Ruger has a .308 win, stainless , with the international stock. Personally I like the look of the full wood stock. I have one ordered and it has crossed my mind as to weather or not the full wood stock will negatively effect accuracy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Mannlicher stocked Rugers I owned ( 7x57, 30'06,243) all shot very well
Cat
Old 01-22-2017, 11:42 AM

I have owned a few and shot a few more. The worst was a 270 with about an 18" or 20" barrel. The blast on it was terrible.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I have owned a few and shot a few more. The worst was a 270 with about an 18" or 20" barrel. The blast on it was terrible.
If if was an RSI it would have been. 20" barrel
1A would have been a 22"
Cat
Old 01-22-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

That is some gorgeous wood! Holy smokes!
Old 01-22-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
That is some gorgeous wood! Holy smokes!
That is only pretty good, this is gorgeous wood on a B78 and a lefty stock.