Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-22-2017, 11:45 AM

270 with 140 grain SST HORNADY. My personal choice.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I think you took the bait! You were easy to catch!
lol

The point is the shell case the .270 is based on has been formed to shoot almost any caliber you can think of ,

And depending on what the bullet might be caliber/weight , the brass shell is effective for anything from gophers to Cape Buffalo,

As per the original post ? A .270 Win is one the most versatile calibers on the shelf, with bullets from about 80 gr all the way up to 180 gr,

And recoil/ meat damage can be modified to very much any whim simply by choice of bullet weight and powder charge,,,

But that is apparently a difficult concept for some,,,
Old 01-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Banned

A 270 will work on ANYTHING in North America. My hunting partner is shooting his late fathers 270. That rifle has shot everything from gophers (still to small a cartridge in some people mind) all the way to moose and grizzly (northern BC). All of them have dropped from the rifle.
That rifle bucks more (at least in felt recoil) than my 308 or 30-06, and my 12g but it still puts the animals down.

Don't change unless YOU want a change.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:50 PM

Try one of the more premium bullets on the market. Or, try hand-loading the premium bullets.
I can only speak to the Barns Triple Shocks or the Nosler Partitions. Others here on the forum can chime in on what they use.

I can say this, I have never had an animal walk away on my Barnes TTX load and I have never recovered a round inside an animal, all pass through.

A 120 grain Remington Core-Lokt bullet in a .270 is a lot different than a 120 grain Barnes Triple Shock in a .270....IMHO....
Good luck,

Read this link on CXP game and bullets.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/cxp.htm

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:37 PM

Antarctica?? Well, when hunting seals or penguins, I hope you shoot them in the eye between blinks so you don't waste eyelid meat. I mean, Just that little bit of meat could be the key to your survival at some point...

In all seriousness, the gun you're the most used to will be the gun you'll most likely kill the best with... So, if it's working well for you, and shoots a group under 1.5 MOA, I wouldn't change a thing... Unless you want to... Others' opinions be
Old 01-22-2017, 02:40 PM

I like the 270 win, I use 140 grain accubonds for everything. Recoil is minimal compaired to my other calibers. I will try some 150 grain ablr's this summer but will most likely stick to the regular accubonds for all hunting purposes. Overkill would be 338 caliber or larger just for deer. I have used my 338 win mag for a few deer and they never ended up any more dead than using my 270. For the cost of a re-barrel you can pick up another gun in a different caliber.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Last I checked when the'06 sized case gets necked to .35 it's called the 35 Whalen .
Cat
I Give up, too tough a room, Whelen
Old 01-22-2017, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think you took the bait! You were easy to catch!
I sometime wouldn't live to be a very big fish
Old 01-22-2017, 03:51 PM

Yep , designed and used exclusively by "Ed Whalen" stampede wrestling announcer and extreme ballistics guru.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:00 PM

I have used a 270 with 130 gr partitions effectively for years on deer. Easy on the shoulder, only needs a 22 inch barrel, easy to handload.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:02 PM

Stay with the .270 and go for a well placed shot with the correct bullet. A great gun for most game.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:26 PM

Im just down here for work, gents. lol.

Im loading my own rounds as we speak, 140gr Horandy SST's, and and its a laser, and wont wreck much as long as you dont broad side a shoulder, then its just messy. I like shooting it, so I get lots of practice, never you worry.

The entire purpose of the question was to find those who use the smaller cartridge and why, not so much as replace the .270, but add to the never ending quest to expand my gun cabinet and such, I like toys.

Cheers
Old 01-22-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jucebox View Post

Im loading my own rounds as we speak, 140gr Horandy SST's, and and its a laser, and wont wreck much as long as you dont broad side a shoulder, then its just messy. I like shooting it, so I get lots of practice, never you worry.

The entire purpose of the question was to find those who use the smaller cartridge and why, not so much as replace the .270, but add to the never ending quest to expand my gun cabinet and such, I like toys.

Cheers
Well, if you want to go smaller you could go to 25-06 - but that would be rather boring because it is really the same thing as the 270 with a selection of lighter bullets. So I would get the 257 Roberts. Smaller bullets, decent ballistics and it is different from what you already have.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:

Cheers
If you are looking for an excuse, the best one I can think of is just because.

If you are looking for a WT deer cartridge because there is quite a few good ones under the .270 in caliber and power that will work just fine. No need to name them all and besides if you wish to expand your cabinet, and who doesn't, your should try a few.

Another reason might be because of felt recoil. I think the 270 is quite mild, but I am of the opinion that even less is more fun. Too many choices to make a list here as well and I do not want to offend anyone if I should miss their favorite.

I have a line on a .250/3000 Savage that may become available soon and it is one of the few common designations under .270 that I have never shot or killed deer with. My only reason is just because.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:48 PM

If you are worried about overkill and ruining too much meat, perhaps sight your .270 in with a dulled down load!
Old 01-22-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
If you are looking for an excuse, the best one I can think of is just because.

If you are looking for a WT deer cartridge because there is quite a few good ones under the .270 in caliber and power that will work just fine. No need to name them all and besides if you wish to expand your cabinet, and who doesn't, your should try a few.

Another reason might be because of felt recoil. I think the 270 is quite mild, but I am of the opinion that even less is more fun. Too many choices to make a list here as well and I do not want to offend anyone if I should miss their favorite.

I have a line on a .250/3000 Savage that may become available soon and it is one of the few common designations under .270 that I have never shot or killed deer with. My only reason is just because.
I personally think that the stock shape and balance has more to do with felt recoil than the cartridge, and maybe even the weight of the rifle. The Kimber 7WSM that I sometimes use has less felt recoil than my buddies Browning in 308... Gosh, that high gloss stock is ugly...
Old 01-22-2017, 09:39 PM

I have shot my 270 Win for 55 years and never regretted it for deer and moose-killing power and modest recoil.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:

Cheers
Well, given that it's to add to the gun cabinet I definitely want to encourage you! I have a Tikka T3 243 that's a great little rifle. About the smallest legal big game caliber, very light recoiling, and flat shooting. A great choice for a dual purpose predator/deer rifle. 25/06 would fill the same role.

Front runner for my next rifle is a 7mm-08 though.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Greetings from Antarctica!

I'm curious to what I should look into for a smaller calibre rifle, I've done the last 4 years with my 270 tikka, which I love to pieces, but in recent conversations I've discovered a lot of people think it's leaning on over kill for white tail. And I've no valid counters other than it can't get more dead. And I've already got my sights on a larger calibre rifle from within the family.

So, for primarily a white tail purpose, and I do most of my shots standing, what do you ladies and gentlemen have?
Chuck your 270 in the bush and buy a .308
Old 01-23-2017, 04:35 AM
Banned

I love my 270. Being I don't reload it would be nice to see a litgher factory load offered. The lightest I've found is 130 grain federal and don't care for it much as the cheap brass leaves flakes all over and on occasion jams the nose of the bullet on my loading ramp putting a divot on the tip. Maybe just my gun? Browning C/F stainless stalker.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:

Cheers
If you use something other than those SST's you should wreck less meat, if that's your concern.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I love my 270. Being I don't reload it would be nice to see a litgher factory load offered. The lightest I've found is 130 grain federal and don't care for it much as the cheap brass leaves flakes all over and on occasion jams the nose of the bullet on my loading ramp putting a divot on the tip. Maybe just my gun? Browning C/F stainless stalker.
Using the 243, 308, and 30-06 Federal blue box I haven't ever noticed dimpling of the bullet tips or flakes of brass. At least no more flakes than Winchester or Hornady brass. Maybe your rifle just doesn't like them like you said.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:12 AM

If you are looking for something different that is super accurate with low recoil; go with a 6.5X47. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer out to 700 yds with mine under the right conditions. Building a light weight carry 6.5X47 right now. Great Lapua brass, 130 Berger at 3000 fps with H4350. What's not to like?
Old 01-23-2017, 10:34 AM

I shot the 270 win for quite a few years and loved it.I caught 6.5 bug because of better ballistics for long range shooting.However I have bin reading about the high bc heavy 277 bullets(170-180 gr) so thinking of going back to it but it would be a 1in 8 twist.
I think the 6.5 x 47,260 rem,6.5 creedmoor or 6.5 x 55 would keep you happy also.