Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-24-2017, 01:08 PM

Default Browning A-500

Can any give me a back story on this shotgun (history). I just heard of it today and what I did find was it was a model that Browning came out with and was not all that successful. Even if there is a website that you could point me to other than the Browning site.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:06 PM

Google or Wikipedia...
Old 01-24-2017, 03:39 PM

The A500 was made in two versions. The A500R (1987-93) was recoil operated and A500G (1990-93) was gas operated. Neither gun really caught on in the US even though they were well made guns.

I have an A500G that is a beautiful gun. My late father bought it in retirement and used it very little until he passed. I have used mine sparingly for ducks. It patterns Black Cloud very well with the IMP CYL choke installed and cycles flawlessly. It has a raised rib like many Browning and Benelli shotguns throwing the pattern higher than I like in a duck gun. The wood on mine is nicely figured and well above what you would expect from a standard grade. The internals in mine are pretty much the same as the Gold models.

It would make and awesome trap gun but just not my cup of tea. I often thought of parting with mine as I never use it but haven't had the heart to do so as yet.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:50 PM

Thanks, so I can assume this was an attempt by browning to broaden there place in the auto loader market. Were they at the time more or less expensive then an Auto 5