Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-22-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Cameron Lake (waterton)

Heading to Waterton next weekend and we are gonna rent a canoe on cameron lake, does anyone know how to catch the fish? Any other lakes around there worth checking out? No Lead and I believe no bait so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:30 PM
jrs

Hello Buck,

Cameron has a lot of nice size brookies. I haven't angled them but have sat and watched them cruising the shallows and hanging out near the outflow. Small spoons or jigs would likely work if your spinning, if you have some fly gear little woolly buggers or wet flies have produced for me in other very similar lakes in that part of Alberta. I've always been meaning to try it. Theres a couple other little lakes that seem to have lots of fish in the area as well. Can't remember the names and don't have my Barry Mitchells along but the best looking ones required a walk in. Good luck at cameron. Beautiful spot.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:09 PM

Default re

Good stuff! Thanks for the replyMaybe I will just try drifting with some wet flys and see what happens. Any other suggestons for flys?
Old 06-24-2007, 10:42 PM
jrs

Adams number 12 drys fished just under the surface (on the surface will often suffice), any size 10-12 wet fly with red in the tail (not sure why but it seems to slay the brookies). I would definetly try some dry adams or elk hair caddis if you have fly gear. Otherwise a small wet fly with grizzly hackly, a peacock body, and red tail work great in the other lakes down there (can't remember the flys name right now). I'm out of here tommorrow morning again, hoping the water in central Alberta recedes enough for me to get out to some of my spots.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:49 AM

All the big boys hide at the mouth of the river that flows into the lake. There is a sheer drop then a bunch of trees. If you can go through or beside all the trees there big lakers in there but they are hard to catch because of all the trees to get caught up in.

The falls is great fishing with a flyrod as well.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:14 PM

Default re

good stuff, I will let you guys know how I do. Thank-you.
Ryan- I have caught little whitefish at the creek mouth, I know the big lakers are there too, we'll see how it goes!