Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2007, 07:49 AM

Default bimini top?

Was thinking of getting a bimini top for my boat so I could stay out of the sun alittle more and still fish on a warmer day. See a few on boats around so someone should have experence with them. Looks like it might be hard to troll with the way most are attached to the boat. From pictures in the Cabalas catalouge there is webbing straps to hold the top up which might get in the way too.Likes, dislikes or any oppinion is appreciated.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:25 PM

I put a Bimini top on my 17.6' North River jet boat. I had it done at Sew Wut in Calgary. You drop off your boat and they fit it to your boat ie. where your seats are how high you want it, you put on your rod holders and down riggers and they put the frame on the boat where it interfers the least. I have not noticed the wind catching the boat when trolling and I can drive the boat at top speed with no noticible steering drag. I have noticed that it makes a huge difference getting out of the sun or rain and I had all my frame built out of stainless steel. I would highly recommend Sew Wut.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:30 PM

What did that set you back? I bought a boat this year and the old top is not looking to good and some of the brackets on the boat are busted. I'd like to get a whole new set up if possible.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:12 PM

I put the top on spring 2005 and paid just under a thousand for it. As I mentioned I had all of my frame done in stainless steel and the top is made of the heaviest fabric they carry. My boat is also wider then most and I had the cover done so a person 6' 2" could walk under without bending over.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:48 PM

Default under a grand? wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
I put the top on spring 2005 and paid just under a thousand for it. As I mentioned I had all of my frame done in stainless steel and the top is made of the heaviest fabric they carry. My boat is also wider then most and I had the cover done so a person 6' 2" could walk under without bending over.
You paid under a thousand for stainless steel and all that work good on ya bud wow that was cheap and you sound very happy wowsers!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:21 PM

Anyone know where a guy can buy these in Alberta?
Old 06-15-2007, 02:07 AM

Default bimini top?

Not a bimini, but a full top. Large side and rear windows roll up and can be removed if required. The top has a zipper just aft of the front windows and can be folded onto the back stainless tubing. The side windows can also be removed and the front part of the top folds into its support tubing as well. Total cost: $2750 tax included.
VancouverCanuck: If you're in Vancouver, there is someone that I can recommend if you're interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of SV400030.jpg (81.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 06-15-2007, 02:16 AM

Default bimini top?

Here is a picture of the aft part of the top rolled up and bagged on its' support tubing. Downrigger mounts are just forward of the mounting brackets, a little awkward, but not too cumbersome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of P1010061.JPG (86.2 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Ishpah; 06-15-2007 at 02:20 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the info people. I'm in Calgary, just a Canucks fan. I'll check Sew Wut out. Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:43 AM

Nice top Ishpah but I believe you can't go with a fully enclosed wrap around top if you don't have a windshield to anchor it to. My boat has a side console so I have more room for flyfishing out of the boat.

For the other question, is there anyone in Calgary who does tops? Sew Wut is in Calgary at Bay E, 7003 - 5 Street S.E. ph 252-2402.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:00 PM

Tried to order a bimini top from Cabelas but for some reason they couldn't ship one to Canada. Called Boat Mart in Red Deer. They must make them there as the guy told me to call them back in the fall as they don't have time to help me out right now. Good luck with that. Has anyone ever had good service at Boat Mart in Red Deer? Anyhow, found a place in Quebec to order one from. Ordered it Wednesday and it should be here in 5 days they tell me. Not the $1000 unit someone was talking about here but hopefully will do the job.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:26 PM

I calll Cabelas also
I guess they do not keep them in there store.
They are only the sale store for the company that builds them.
The wear house will not ship out of the states.