Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-24-2007, 09:41 PM

Default NSR reports?

Anyone hit the nsr lately?

I've been out of town working and can't seem to find the time to check it out.

I'm slacking unfortunately. But i will for sure check it this week.

Any updates would be great.

SteveY
Old 06-24-2007, 09:53 PM

I've been there twice (near Fort Sask.) in the past week and a half. Last Saturday we managed about 30 walleye, 2 goldeye, 1 sauger and 6 or 7 pike in about 3 hours. This past Tuesday we were out again and the river had gone up about 3 feet since Sat. We managed about 20 goldeye, 1 walley and 1 sauger in about 3 hours again. The goldeye were rising everywhere. I'm sure it has gone up quite a bit more with all this rain we've had of late.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:36 PM
-NDN-

that sounds like some good fishin'. you notice any good numbers of mule deer in your NSR journeys in that area?? past 2 times out in that area, there have been alot of nice mulies around the river banks.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:29 AM

Not any good numbers, just the odd doe here and there.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:23 PM

I was out last tuesday and again this weekend. We had alot more action last tuesday. The Goldeye were hitting this weekend but everything else has slowed down.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:44 PM

Izumi, were you one of the guys fishing in the grassy area at the bend?
Old 06-25-2007, 11:29 PM

Yea, I came down once to where you were too.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:35 PM

Yeah I remember.... there wasn't a whole lot of standing room.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:49 AM

It was bad on Saturday, some guys were getting pretty pushy...

Did you see the guy with the Dogs fish? He caught a 9lbs Walleye, very nice, it was unfortunate that his dog killed it...
Old 06-26-2007, 12:19 PM

I seen the whole dog incident and it seemed funny at the time, but I strongly disagree that the dog killed it. For one, the wife was holding the dog away from the fish, and secondly my buddy and I watched the guy club it about a dozen times with a large stick and so we assmued it was a large pike, not a walleye.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:35 PM

That's what I was afraid of, we couldn't see what was going on from our position. I just made the assumption because of the racket the dog was making, and when we saw the fish it looked really beat up, he seemed pretty upset at the dog too. I know the dog killed the first one he caught, I saw it bite it as he dangled it on his line... That's no good, kills two in a area he is allowed none, and the first one was well under a pound.

I have been down in that area many times this year and have never seen a CO, have you?
Old 06-26-2007, 01:34 PM

Nope, I have only seen a CO out there once and that was about 6 years ago. It's a shame.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:19 PM

That is a shame, I'm sure the guy didn't even have license. I get that feeling from a lot of people out there...
Old 06-26-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Muddy shore?

Just wondering how the shore is mud wise. Also hows the turbidity?

Been there only once this year cuz it seems to be getting a increadible amount of pressure. Just an idea but maybe try getting photos that don't have evidence in the back ground of where you are fishing cuz soon as gonefishing posted on the good eve on the nsr thread i knew where you were fishing and i have not gone there since. Just an idea if you don't want to be rubbing shoulders, there are alot of ppl from that area on this forum. Maybe save a few wally's too! That dog incident is a dirty shame and if i saw the guy club a 9 pound walleye i wouldn't hesitate to call the CO's stat! And i hope that others on the forum would do the same rather than say it's a shame that the CO's arn't there more often. Report a poacher! Guarenteed you'll be seeing more CO's that way if you do. No licence = poacher.
kill a walleye in the NSR = poacher. Lets try to protect our fisheries guys!!

Just my two cents

Hey NDN I too have seen quite a few donkey's in the river valley lately but none with noticeable head gear yet.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:29 PM

FisherPotch- The shore is still qute muddy where we were due to the rising level of the water, which will also makes the current faster and a little more murky. As for the pics yes, there are a lot of people on this forum who fish that area and if they see the backround of my pics they will know where I am fishing. If they don't recognize the background, then chances are they aren't going to know where the spot is. When you posted your pics from that area earlier in the spring, I knew where you were fishing and I'm sure other people did too. If you stop fishing certain areas becasue you think you're not alone, you're going to run out of fishing spots in a hurry.... especially in or around a city of a million people.

As for the clubbing of the walleye, it is a shame and I would have called the CO's but I didn't have a phone with me and more importantly, as I stated earlier, I assumed the he had caught a large pike so I didn't see it as a big deal (other than the clubbing).

Just my two cents as well.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:35 PM

You could always notify them when you are near a phone too, just less chance of them catching the culpret. Thanks for the info. Sent you a PM.

Last edited by FisherPotch; 06-26-2007 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Oops misread your post.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:51 PM

I had been down there 10x's earlier this year with little success, but when I saw where your pics were from, I went back. It's true though, if you try to avoid people you will end up avoiding the fish, there just isn't enough spots to go around in a city of a million, there are no secrets. If the fish weren't killed, we would all still have our turn. On the other hand, this forumn is like most internet resources and people are interested more in taking info from it then contributing to it. 200 people read that thread..

We did get a pic of the clubber, but im not sure that it will be too helpful, perhaps if we report it, we may get a visit from the CO's in the future.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:00 PM

Hey Izumi are u speaking of my pics or gonefishins?

I for one avoid places with high pressure because i enjoy myself alittle more when i'm not in a crowd. And i have better luck in places where i have never seen ppl fish, i go looking for my own spots then try to keep'em secret. Most certainly don't avoid fish. I don't live in the city tho. Also i have no problems providing info to those who pm me. I do enjoy this forum and the info it has provided me. This being said i don't talk about where i fish, just as i havn't mentioned where you guys were fishing.

POST the picture of the clubber!!!! Maybe someone on the site will know who it is.

Sorry, after reading back over my posts i realize how much of a p***k i sound like.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:10 PM

Gonefishings pics, there is a dead give away in one....

I also enjoy being in the outdoors away from people, to me that's half of what it's all about.

"Also i have no problems providing info to those who pm me. I do enjoy this forum and the info it has provided me"

I agree with you fully, and perhaps that's all we need to do, post pictures that dont give away the locations to people who are doing a quick read about what the rest of us are discussing. It would be nice if the forumn had manditory membership. After all I think the largest culprit is the weekend fisherman, the area is littered with garbage from fishing gear obviosly bought the same day...

I would still like to discuss these places with people who are actually aware of the rules and regulations, but perhaps we need to be more aware of who is viewing what we are posting.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:12 PM

Are you two fishing the confluence where the sturgeon meets the nsr?

Cause people poach there like crazy its rediculous, i saw C'Os there last year.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:18 PM

I see where you guys are coming from with the picture thing. I will be a little more careful in posing as to not give away the areas I, and others fish.

Izumi- I agree with you about the garbage. I pick up what I see and haul it out, but everytime I go back there is always more.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:20 PM
-NDN-

yeah, there is a dead giveaway in gonefishings pics, LOL. but i wont say nothing.

i think with angling pressure increasing in the fort sask areas, CO's should be making a couple visits this year. No doubt on a busy weekend, someone will get nailed.