Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-23-2014, 08:16 AM

Default Clay Throwers

So, it looks like my wife and I have developed a new hobby, but we'd like something better than the 80.00 clay thrower that can be a brute to work with and not always be reliable.

Does anyone have any good recommendations on an electric thrower or a manual thrower that runs good and lasts a long time? I see such varying reviews on the rigs at Cabela's and Wholesale, so I'm hesitant to go near any of them without some decent advice
Old 04-23-2014, 08:53 AM

Don't bother with the $40 ones you find at Cabela's and Wholesale. I've got this lower-end model and it functions very well:

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/2283/d...target-thrower

Wholesale Sports carries a foot operated manual launcher that looks very interesting. Has anyone tried it?
Old 04-23-2014, 08:57 AM

Did you have to attach a rim or anything for weight on the bottom? I've heard that's a pretty common thing with the manuals, but not a deal breaker if the thing works well

Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:32 AM

Do you live near a skeet facility? I would suggest shooting actual skeet before spending money on a powered target thrower.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:38 AM

I live close enough, but I have friends who recently went in together for some 1800.00 brute that my shoulder wishes I wasn't introduced too lol. I'm just looking to get one for the farm that I can enjoy casually after work with the better half.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbolt5 View Post
Did you have to attach a rim or anything for weight on the bottom? I've heard that's a pretty common thing with the manuals, but not a deal breaker if the thing works well

Thanks for the advice!
The one I linked to comes with some large metal spikes to anchor the unit to the ground. Where I shoot, the ground is soft enough to push in the spikes. Depending on soil conditions it could be a challenge.

I've used units that mount to spare tires. I found that the tires weren't heavy enough to hold the unit. The tires would slide and the throws were short because of it.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:03 PM

Fair enough, the field I'd toss it in would be just fine to give that a try. Curious to investigate that foot operated one though
Old 04-23-2014, 06:30 PM
Banned

I own a White Wing electric clay thrower. It launches faster and further than a spring loaded machine. The clays have to be in good shape otherwise they disentegrate right out of the gate. But any prematurely cracked clays would disentegrate even with hand launchers. Mine has the foot switch which can be extended with a regular extension cord. In short, I'm very happy with the White Wing.

Mine came from Kijiji used but never used, still in the box for $200.00
Old 04-23-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass23 View Post
Wholesale Sports carries a foot operated manual launcher that looks very interesting. Has anyone tried it?
I own one. My only complaint is that it doesn't do doubles. Very quick and easy to use. No pressure on the spring until you stomp it - my wife can even run it for me to shoot! You won't regret it.