Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-09-2018, 10:05 AM

There were two other non-mandatory courses available at that time as well ...
Alberta Fishing Ed and Alberta Wild. These really didn't get off the ground for some unknown reason.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:24 AM

I posted this in the other thread too but this one seems more active and current. I'm looking at hunting for the first time this year, have an opportunity with some more experienced guys. So I have to take the online course! Just wondering, do you have to wait for the mailed certificate before getting your hunting license? It says its a two to three week wait. Or do you get something right away that you could take in and get your hunting license with.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:10 PM

Apparently F&W as been monitoring the thread on acebook, and sent the moderator the following to post.

Quote:
An Alberta resident must meet one of the following criteria to be eligible to apply for, obtain, hold or use a recreational hunting licence:

1) Must have held a recreational hunting licence prior to 1987 (commencement of hunter eligibility requirement)
2) Must have passed a Hunter Education Course
3) Must have passed the First Time Hunter test (the option to challenge this test is no longer available after April of 2010)
4) Must have lawfully held a recreational hunting licence in another jurisdiction
While this is a much better description, it does contradict the information that AHEIA is sending people about the course/test being mandatory since 1964, and it is doesn't quite match the current wording in the hunting guide, because it lists 1987 as the important date. Fortunately, even this definition still leaves two legal options, other than taking a course or passing a test, and I qualify for both of those options.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Thanks elk. For some reason in my head I thought late 80's or early 90's. Don't know why. Either way I am not effected. I have never taken the course. Remember my brother taking it in high school here in Alberta, way before 2010. I wonder if they still teach it in high school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Apparently F&W as been monitoring the thread on acebook, and sent the moderator the following to post.

While this is a much better description, it does contradict the information that AHEIA is sending people about the course/test being mandatory since 1964, and it is doesn't quite match the current wording in the hunting guide, because it lists 1987 as the important date. Fortunately, even this definition still leaves two legal options, other than taking a course or passing a test, and I qualify for both of those options.
So I ain't losing my mind ............YET. hehe

Yes I would qualify same as you #1 and #4. #4 being BC.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com

Last edited by honda450; 11-11-2018 at 08:47 AM.