Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-26-2017, 05:04 PM

Exclamation North Central Native Trout - Proposed Angling Closures

There is a new survey on the APE website.

Be sure to take the time to have your voices heard ... not that it will probably change the outcome but you never know!

https://talkaep.alberta.ca/north-cen...gling-closures
Old 09-26-2017, 10:10 PM

What is up with AEP?

1) Sure...make it difficult for folks...need to register to take the survey and comment??? Whats up with that? Guess AEP really doesn't want input.

2) None of the proposed changes were discussed at the fisheries management meetings....which actually have not been held in some time...

3)2016 Pembina closure was also dropped on anglers with no input.

4) Can you imagine the pressure this will put on other area streams?

5) Do any of you remember Wampus , Deerlick and Eunice???...closed for decades...to study. They have never been re-opened. 30+ years later, we are still awaiting the study results.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:23 PM

The affected river and proposed 2018 closures are identified here.

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...-recovery.aspx
Old 09-26-2017, 10:23 PM

What are they looking at? The page doesn't load on my phone?
Old 09-26-2017, 10:35 PM

Major portions and tributaries of the Berland, Clearwater, Kakwa, North Saskatchewan, Ram, Pembina, Upper Red Deer and Pinto Lake
Old 09-27-2017, 08:25 AM

Shutting down rivers to save the Bull Trout? I for one couldn't care less if I ever see another Bull Trout. Brown Trout have been here longer than the majority of us. They are much more fun to catch and get absolutely no respect as a sport fish in Alberta.

The Red Deer River and Tributaries are world class Brown Trout fisheries in spite of government, imagine what they would be like with a little help like a fall breeding season closure and a few officers that patrol places other than the parking lot at Dickson.

White-tailed Deer are not native as well. I say we tear down the population so Mule Deer thrive again and ban all hunting where Mule Deer might be threatened by human activity.

I find it strange that on all of the fly fishing forums I frequent that there is hardly ever a mention of Bull Trout and White Fish yet every fisher is excited about big Rainbows and Browns. Shouldn't fishermen be protesting these closures? Imagine all the western streams teaming with big stupid Bull Trout. They will have eaten everything else. I would bet money that few if any would even bother fishing anymore. But we need not worry as fishing will be completely banned for fear of mortality of the dumb things.

Have I mentioned I don't care for Bull Trout?
Old 09-27-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Shutting down rivers to save the Bull Trout? I for one couldn't care less if I ever see another Bull Trout. Brown Trout have been here longer than the majority of us. They are much more fun to catch and get absolutely no respect as a sport fish in Alberta.

The Red Deer River and Tributaries are world class Brown Trout fisheries in spite of government, imagine what they would be like with a little help like a fall breeding season closure and a few officers that patrol places other than the parking lot at Dickson.

White-tailed Deer are not native as well. I say we tear down the population so Mule Deer thrive again and ban all hunting where Mule Deer might be threatened by human activity.

I find it strange that on all of the fly fishing forums I frequent that there is hardly ever a mention of Bull Trout and White Fish yet every fisher is excited about big Rainbows and Browns. Shouldn't fishermen be protesting these closures? Imagine all the western streams teaming with big stupid Bull Trout. They will have eaten everything else. I would bet money that few if any would even bother fishing anymore. But we need not worry as fishing will be completely banned for fear of mortality of the dumb things.

Have I mentioned I don't care for Bull Trout?
Good post
I do care for the bull trout. As much as browns or bows...never really considered that. I think it is pretty equal for me.

Regardless, I do not agree with a 5 year closure and pressure up at other streams and rivers. An alternating year closure could be okay but not 5 years like the Pembina. At least in my humble opinion. Taking survey next...

Op, thanks for posting this.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
What is up with AEP?

1) Sure...make it difficult for folks...need to register to take the survey and comment??? Whats up with that? Guess AEP really doesn't want input.
I think the registration is likely a way of ensuring completion of one survey per person... just a guess though. In my opinion, asking for input via even a somewhat cumbersome online process is better than not asking at all (the latter being the common practice of many government departments historically).

I can certainly understand the concerns about shifting pressures to other waters, at those other waters' expense. That is a valid concern that I'm not sure I have ever seen a comprehensive response to, on this or other proposed closures of various types.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:26 PM

The background info is well done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gle_uscXYz8

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...-recovery.aspx
Old 09-27-2017, 03:47 PM

Done. Only took a minute to register...time well spent.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:27 PM

Question Ncnt

After reading info in links above, it seems to me like this plan is already set in motion. Looks like I need to take up a new hobby if all of the east slope's best trout streams have a recreational fishing ban. I didn't know that our fisheries were in that rough of shape. Funny thing about these closures is that Arctic Greyling and Athabasca 'bows have never existed in the majority of the rivers that they plan to close...
Old 09-28-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
I find it odd that in the youtube video when they show the factors affecting Bull Trout that industry wasn't one of those....hmmm

As well on those possible closures, what about the possibility of the Ram River coal development that has been spoken of...makes me wonder
Old 09-29-2017, 06:04 AM

Default cattle grazing the big culprits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilverj76 View Post
I find it odd that in the youtube video when they show the factors affecting Bull Trout that industry wasn't one of those....hmmm

As well on those possible closures, what about the possibility of the Ram River coal development that has been spoken of...makes me wonder
If they want to help save Bull Trout, they can start by eliminating Cattle Grazing on Crown Land.

Was fishing yesterday and the amount of green slime in the water was disgusting. Creek was full of Brookies. Harder to find Cutties which I am used to catching there. Can't imagine Bull Trout like swimming around in Slime.

Everywhere I step there is Cow S***
Old 09-27-2017, 07:05 PM

Done here as well. I believe there are many larger factors at play beyond the C&R fishing of these rivers. Bulls and Grayling are all 0 retention already. I have to think that over development plays a larger role than any mortality from C&R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-29-2017, 08:35 PM

Emailed John Tchir earlier today with my concerns. Hope more do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-30-2017, 05:06 PM

Survey completed. Next up, meeting with my MLA.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:56 AM

For those interested in why the closures are proposed would be wise to read

http://issuu.com/esrd/docs/fish_cons...110136/8768768

This document, in spite of my input, doesn't reflect allocations of fish to all users or impacts.
Logging, oil/gas, mining, power generation, OHV riding etc are not mentioned. Only Angler's are ID'd as users.

Angler's will pay the price.

Don
Old 10-12-2017, 07:52 AM

Has anyone received a response to their e-mails or phone calls on this? I know that I have not to date.

SS

Old 10-13-2017, 01:47 PM

An incredibly thoughtful response. Please read.

http://flyfishalberta.com/jensenflyf...ng-mgt-survey/