Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Driving on Traverse

Default Driving on Traverse

Hey Dodger are you driving on to Traverse from the
boat launch on the west side . Thanks
Old 02-10-2007, 12:31 PM
dodger

No I cross the dam and there is a pull off right at the corner. I drive down to the shore and then drive the shoreline. Remember that the ice along there ranges in thickness drastically. That's why i try to keep 2 tires on shore.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:54 PM
re

Default re

if you have to drive on the ice get away from the shore!! In my findings the shore is always much thinner, you are best off to glide 50-100 yards off shore . Banks of twin drop off right away, 5" of ice at shore 2 feet 20 yards out. There could be springs and runoff,near shore the water could be more shallow causing thinner ice. Yet at the same time there could be a hump in the middle of the lake and the water could warm quicker in the sun making for thin ice. Ice driving is ALWAYS a risk especially these past couple years. We put a quad through last year on Badger. The ice was 12 inches or so, ended up on a sand bar and crashed in. Luckily there was only 3 feet of water. We were wet to the waist and managed to lift the quad out got very lucky. It was late season and the ice was getting soft. There were trucks out too so we figured it safe--not the case!
Old 02-10-2007, 11:36 PM
musky xl

Default Re: re

ive driven on many lakes many times...but this year we went through at Lower K (obviously walking) and the temps had been minus 20 that day (and had been cold for several days prior). ive got to say im pretty leary now...
Old 02-11-2007, 12:19 AM
bulls

Default bulls

the dam creates open water at lower k, stay away from where the water goes/weak spots and you'll be fine
Old 02-11-2007, 11:03 AM
musky xl

Default Re: bulls

we were quite away from the spillway...and all around that area it was about 8 to 10 inches.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:14 PM
dodger

Default Re: bulls

The water on shore is not 10'/20' deep to go crashing threw buckcrazey. The ice along the shore is frozen to the bottom this is not April with warm days to start melting the shoreline. The east end of Travers was still open in December while 500 yards away Little Bow had 12" of ice. If i am going to break threw i will take the 12" of water along shore instead of the 100' deep channel that runs threw Travers.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:29 PM
re

Default re

good point dodger. every lake is different.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:27 PM
willy

Default travers ice

Know lots of locals they dont like driving on travers much its deep doesnt freeze very good in the middle.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Dewie

Default Re: travers ice

2 years ago we wre fishing the badger deby and had lots of ice. we had three 25 foot fifth wheels accomponed by a gmc duramax all weekend. buddy walked behind trailer for a pizz and fell in up to his neck.

thats a little messed up.