Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-31-2013, 11:01 PM

Default Question about deer antlers

So trying get everything in order for hunting next season and am wondering what is the best way to go about getting a set of antlers for rattling. As well what do you guys find works the best, real or fake?? Also if I was to go shed hunting when would be a good time to head out? Thanks!
Old 10-31-2013, 11:18 PM

Real antlers are what most guys swear by, as they are natural.

Rattling antlers are best taken from a buck that was shot, and the antlers sealed to keep the correct pitch sound of real antlers rattling. Sheds can sound dull, as they have dried out significantly by the time they are found and then used to rattle.

The best time to looks for sheds is when the snow begins to recede as they are mucho easier to find when not buried in snow.

Walk game trails in March. You'll likely find a few in areas which hold deer.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:54 AM

Deer will drop their antlers as early as February. I find most drops are within 50 yards of the south facing edge of a bush. Where they bed to get sun in the winter. Or right out in the winter feeding areas. Find a few trails in the snow that are well used. Late winter is not a good time to stress out deer by disturbing their wintering area if the winter has been hard. Wait till spring.

As far as rattling while hunting... if you use a set of antlers that are small, the rattling will not interest dominant bucks. Too big a set might intimidate a good buck.
I don't rattle much but have heard alot of guys complaining about alot of bloody knuckles while rattling. Cut the brow tines off for safety.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Real antlers are what most guys swear by, as they are natural.

Rattling antlers are best taken from a buck that was shot, and the antlers sealed to keep the correct pitch sound of real antlers rattling. Sheds can sound dull, as they have dried out significantly by the time they are found and then used to rattle.

The best time to looks for sheds is when the snow begins to recede as they are mucho easier to find when not buried in snow.

Walk game trails in March. You'll likely find a few in areas which hold deer.
What do you use to "seal" antlers?
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky
Old 11-01-2013, 07:01 AM

Taxidermist friend gave me my first set years ago. They always have some extra for one reason or another. Dont forget to cut off the brow-tynes.

Real over fake and rattle bags hands down.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:03 AM

I like a fresh set of sheds in the 150" range good sound and strong when rattling aggresively almost took out my eye crashing a fake set in -25 tines all broke in on sequence there crap good luck
Old 11-01-2013, 07:12 AM
Banned

I've used both real and fake, had success with both, currently I use a rattling bag, bucks have come in to that lots, shot the biggest buck of my life last year using that bag. It's nice and small and seems to work just fine.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:47 AM

I used the PackRack system by Knight & Hale. http://www.knightandhale.com/catalog.aspx?catid=Deer Last year was the first time that I used it and manged to bring in s small 4x4. It's small & compact so its perfect for when I'm bow hunting.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-01-2013, 01:09 PM

I have a set of real and fake. I prefer the sound from the fake ones as the real set seem duller and the fake crisper. Maybe my real set has dried out as mentioned above, not sure. I guess the deciding factor should be which set do the bucks prefer? The answer is...neither as they just don't come in for me.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickflicker View Post
I have a set of real and fake. I prefer the sound from the fake ones as the real set seem duller and the fake crisper. Maybe my real set has dried out as mentioned above, not sure. I guess the deciding factor should be which set do the bucks prefer? The answer is...neither as they just don't come in for me.

Same here but I use shed antlers. I have only ever rattled in two deer, both came in hot and heavy but were little 2 and 3 pointers. Meat bucks. It was funny to see them come in looking for a fight. I guess one day I will be surprised when a big one comes looking.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:14 PM

I use a small set of moose antlers.
They are flat enough to fit inside my coveralls up against my ribs or chest.

Hate it when I get a finger in btwn each antler while banging them together.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 11-01-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock Fever View Post
What do you use to "seal" antlers?
WOW! I didn't even know seals had antlers!
Old 11-01-2013, 07:30 PM

just stop at halford hide and buy a couple if your not inclined to go looking for sheds or if you want them right now. not sure what they sell for but cant be that ridiculous if you only want a couple
Old 11-01-2013, 10:14 PM

The bigger the deer the harder they fall
Old 11-01-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercamp View Post
just stop at halford hide and buy a couple if your not inclined to go looking for sheds or if you want them right now. not sure what they sell for but cant be that ridiculous if you only want a couple
Funny but I didnt even think about that lol. I will go check them out then come spring or just call and see what the prices are. I might look in to a rattling bag as I will also be bow hunting. Thanks for the answers!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:55 AM

If you want to rattle in and kill a small buck, any type rattling antler will work.If you want to kill a mature buck leave them at home. Silence and the right wind will be your friend. Trust me.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:20 AM

For myself the real thing has always worked best. I just don't get the same results with rattle bags or fake antlers.

I find the size of the antlers does not play a big roll for me. I prefer a small 3x3 set as they give good sound and are not too bulky.

In my opinion the location, timing, and how aggressive you rattle is the most important. Location is the most important because if you pick the wrong spot you will only draw in the odd passer by. I also find you need to get away from high pressure areas

Personally I have had great results rattling all sizes of bucks. Add a doe bleat to you're rattling and it works even better.

When it comes to the rut it is calling all the way for me.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:08 PM

I have a set if you want them.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmi07 View Post
So trying get everything in order for hunting next season and am wondering what is the best way to go about getting a set of antlers for rattling. As well what do you guys find works the best, real or fake?? Also if I was to go shed hunting when would be a good time to head out? Thanks!
Where do you live? I am in Red Deer and have a bunch of antlers downstairs I was just going to start cutting up.

I like to use antlers from a downed deer. I cut the antlers from the head with some skull still attach and then break the bone in the center. Gives a good hand hold.

I also find using mismatched antlers works great too as the dont match together and make for more authentic sounds.

Let me know if you are near me and I will give you some.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Gone Hunting

When I'm looking at a rack with the intent of rattling, I prefer the real thing to fakes. I also like to use a hand call. I have called in more deer than I have a rattled by a lot.

rattling works, but calling also works.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand