Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-31-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Curious, what part of the Peace Country you're in CLM?
Hey BigJon, I moved from the Peace Country a while back and just noticed that I hadn't updated my location on my Avatar. The area I am referring to is in the west central part of the province.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:23 PM

I spoke with a biologist with F&W and he said he couldn't speak for the entire province but in the last 3 winters, 2 were considered severe for mortality rates. I think it was 2010, saw a 30-50% mortality estimate, and although there are not official results yet, 2012 may have even seen a higher percentage.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:22 PM

In 516 where I hunt we spent a total of 7 days over the month of Oct chasing moose. Didn't see a deer. Seen tracks and a couple scrapes last weekend and have a few does and one small buck on my trail cam. For that area its bad. Been at least three winters in a row where the snow was still up to your butt in March and April when we went in there scouting with sleds. It has taken a toll Imo. Used to be a fun zone to chase WT, always seen them, could always pass on a few meat bucks at the start of Nov but still find one for the freezer on the last week. Once the snow flies up there and we can see tracks and trails, we will see if it has changed.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:02 PM

I guess there's no Deer this year. All hunters should just stay home.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:20 PM

Default whitetail numbers low

232,203,204...whitetail numbers are brutal. I travel around the country every day, and haven't seen hardly any. I've seen 1 buck since the beginning of Sept. Hard winters, and insane tag numbers have made things very discouraging.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:28 PM

Default Fawn survival

Have to strongly agree with dmcbride!!! A fawn has almost a zero chance of survival through a winter without its mother. I understand the supplementary tags being issued but the populations have to be very closely monitored for this to continue. Case in point WMU 523.. allowing a supplemtal harvest of 3 mulie does on a single tag. 3 does harvested with fawn at foot plus 3 unborn fawns? There is no way this should be justified for more than a year and under very close monitoring. I have to add I am an avid hunter but it makes one weep to see a healthy population meets its demise by mismanagement! I am also glad to see that this tag was discontinued and only 1 deer allowed now on draw!!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:48 PM
Banned

I work though out the northern half of the province doing forestry in some of the best whitetail habitat around... Around edson/Edmonton area you guys got nothing to complain about. Take a drive around GP-slave lake area. Absolutely abolished. It will come back... I hope... I just wish I hunted my honey hole before the mass kill offs.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
232,203,204...whitetail numbers are brutal. I travel around the country every day, and haven't seen hardly any. I've seen 1 buck since the beginning of Sept. Hard winters, and insane tag numbers have made things very discouraging.
^^^^ this....
Old 10-31-2013, 08:05 PM

Went for a drive this after to do a little rifle tune up. Lost count around 30. Two were very nice bucks travelling together.

Got the truck nice and muddy, picked up another limit of ruffies, and avoided the majority of the candy seekers. Life is good.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
I work though out the northern half of the province doing forestry in some of the best whitetail habitat around... Around edson/Edmonton area you guys got nothing to complain about. Take a drive around GP-slave lake area. Absolutely abolished. It will come back... I hope... I just wish I hunted my honey hole before the mass kill offs.
It'll get better. Whitetails can spread like the plague in the forest/farmland fringe and cutblock country areas when the environmental conditions are easy going.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Went for a drive this after to do a little rifle tune up. Lost count around 30. Two were very nice bucks travelling together.

Got the truck nice and muddy, picked up another limit of ruffies, and avoided the majority of the candy seekers. Life is good.
good...sounds like they are doing okay over there, I have not seen 30 total in the last 2 months, and I am out in 232, 202 and 200 literally everyday, and 234 as well....
Old 10-31-2013, 08:22 PM

Seeing piles of Muley Bucks around Home ...all still hanging together in bunches,, also seeing some Good Whitetail numbers and they are still travelling together. Had a small fork horn Whitey investigate my Doe decoy tonight and give her a sniff down.
I would have closed a Muley tag long ago if there was still an archery season here ..
Old 10-31-2013, 08:34 PM

I work arround lloydminster and I have been seeing good numbers of mulies out by my rig. 10 to 12 a night. Last spring just befor we shut down I saw the winder heard and it was good about 40 strong fat and healthy. We're I hunt in 254 the numbers for white tails are good. More does this year on this 80acers then last year. Saw two really good buck in their as well.

Gordon
Old 10-31-2013, 09:33 PM

Numbers down in north 527 all you from all around the province guys might as stay home for a while!
Old 11-01-2013, 11:27 AM

Default best thing I've heard all day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpm5 View Post
I guess there's no Deer this year. All hunters should just stay home.
^ Amen to that.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead11 View Post
^ Amen to that.
?

Last edited by Vinny_HC; 11-01-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
^ Amen to that.
I don't recall anyone alluding to this conclusion except for you two. This thread is about members' obervations on herd population, health and management.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:22 PM

I've been out 50 of last 61 days bowhunting ( perk of being retired) I hadn't seen ,much all fall ( other than tons of moose called) but the woods have exploded with sign past few days Rubs and scrapes really starting to show up 13 deer and bull moose in field this morning plus quite a few spotted on short drive to my spot. It starting to roll !!
Old 11-01-2013, 01:54 PM

Default I joke I joke I kid I kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny_HC View Post
I don't recall anyone alluding to this conclusion except for you two. This thread is about members' obervations on herd population, health and management.
It was a joke. Like "Awe shucks, there's no deer, everyone better stay home, leave the 'lack of' deer to me" Very sarcastically.

Hardy har har.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:58 PM

I'm really glad this thread was made because I'm new to Alberta and this is my first hunting season here so I don't know what to compare this year's population to. But from what I've read, it seems like the WMU's we are set on checking out, are healthy and producing good signs so wish us luck.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I'm really glad this thread was made because I'm new to Alberta and this is my first hunting season here so I don't know what to compare this year's population to. But from what I've read, it seems like the WMU's we are set on checking out, are healthy and producing good signs so wish us luck.
Welcome to Alberta. I hope you have a safe & successful season. (NOT being sarcastic. )
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-01-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Ive heard the same from the locals in 232. Been quite the opposite from my end of things as Ive seen a lot of deer and some brutes as well both whitetail and mule.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:58 PM

Rimbey and Gull Lake have very low deer populations. The last three years snowmobiling has been very disappointing, very low numbers.

HAs been this way for a few years now. Some pockets of deer here and there but overall poor.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:18 PM

Went for a drive in strathcona tonight.
Saw deer on the usual fields and was even surprised to see some in a plowed field.
Still low numbers tho.
Three tags handed out again.
There are some fawns out there.
Hoping for a mild winter here.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:23 PM

Whitetail numbers are brutal in 346-347
Old 11-01-2013, 10:47 PM

Are Deer numbers low or is it just Hunter numbers are getting higher?
Old 11-02-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchthefisher View Post
Whitetail numbers are brutal in 346-347
"Brutal" = too many? or too few?
Old 11-02-2013, 09:10 AM

I havent gun hunted in years mostly due to the fact that there seems to be more hunters than deer out there. So took to shed hunting about 15 years ago, and in the olden years, my end of the season count would be in the 150-200 count. These last few years I can hardly fill a milk crate. Right there that tells me their down big time. Hopefully one day they will rebound, but doesnt look good with the winters were having, and the numbers of tags given out.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugepickerel View Post
Numbers down in north 527 all you from all around the province guys might as stay home for a while!

Don't believe everything that Halkyard kid tells ya.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-03-2013, 01:53 PM

Went out Friday Saturday and this morning and saw 3 bucks one decent size plus 8 doe in 250. Got 2 massive mule on camera with a few small WT buck and quite a few doe coming around. Only my second season hunting and that's more than I saw last year in the same field. Deer or no deer it's a great time and can't wait to get the first one!