Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-03-2013, 09:39 AM

Default Where do the deer go During a heavy snowfall?

Been scouting my land for months... have had an average of.. 12-16 deer in a group for quite some time now... And now.. since the snow has been flying last couple days.... haven't seen anything.. Do whitetails tend to change where they bed/ eat when there is a huge snowfall?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysant View Post
Been scouting my land for months... have had an average of.. 12-16 deer in a group for quite some time now... And now.. since the snow has been flying last couple days.... haven't seen anything.. Do whitetails tend to change where they bed/ eat when there is a huge snowfall?
Any thick cover nearby....as in mature conifer canopy?
They oftentimes hunker down under a big spruce until the storm lets up,then its back to bizness as usual imho.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Any thick cover nearby....as in mature conifer canopy?
They oftentimes hunker down under a big spruce until the storm lets up,then its back to bizness as usual imho.
Yeah, They were bedding down by the poplar/spruces.. most of the fall in roughly the same area... Semi dense bush.... We do have some thick conifer cover... perhaps ill scout through there... Just haven't seen tracks or nothing.. So they must be holding up in some thicket somewhere.. Thanks again for the input.... Major snowfall here in 222.... Good luck to everyone!
Old 11-03-2013, 10:48 AM

They will hunker down in heavy cover, they are just like us, don't like to be cold and wet, soon as the snow stops be out there, they will come out in droves hungry
Old 11-03-2013, 12:02 PM

heading out as soon as I get off work today , so hopefully the deer go in the back of my truck when it snows
Old 11-03-2013, 12:26 PM

Default Hunkered down!!

Be in a big old spruce, lots of cover or an old barn or something the can get into, out of the snow and wind!!
Old 11-03-2013, 12:55 PM

Just spent majority of the morning out... didn't see a single track... Just weird.. Week ago seen them every single morning/evening... seems like Nov 1st the deer all left. Snow has stopped... skies are clearing... Come out come out wherever you are.. After lunch back out see if there is any movement.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:52 PM

Indeed, they weren't moving at all yesterday, only found a grouse and saw some tracks from the morning when the snow started.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:53 PM

was out yesterday during the storm, same thing it was brutal seen one doe and no fresh tracks, put on miles in the back country, where ever they hide they do it very well, lesson learned never hunting in a snow storm again, lol
Old 11-03-2013, 02:18 PM

Was out last night saw nothing but went back this morning and ran into a small buck, 3 does and a bull Moose. There was a tonne of fresh tracks so hopefully there is a big one.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysant View Post
Just spent majority of the morning out... didn't see a single track... Just weird.. Week ago seen them every single morning/evening... seems like Nov 1st the deer all left. Snow has stopped... skies are clearing... Come out come out wherever you are.. After lunch back out see if there is any movement.
Snow may have stopped but the wind is still howling right? To them the storm is still going. No tracks yes because they are still in their beds. Patience if you bump them they will change their routine. Be there the first nice day after this and you will see everything.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:58 PM

Default deer

Just my humble opinion but I have a theory about the first big snowfall of the year and deer. Over the years I have noticed that the deer stop movement for about three days following the first big dump of snow. They are usually fat and not in dire need of food and the new snow has completely changed their landscape. They have everything in their baliwick figured out and now the snow comes and changes that world. Everything looks different, depth perception changes drastically with the snow, branches accumulate snow and a two inch branch is now five inches. Bushes are heavy with snow and bent over, the whole habitat has changed over night. They don't like it and hole up. In my experience, the first three days after the first major snow fall where the world changes from autumn brown to winter white is poor deer hunting.

Just my own theory, but it has proved out year after year.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaga View Post
Just my own theory, but it has proved out year after year.
Very interesting! That's well thought-out.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:08 PM

The ones close to an easy meal (ei. hay fields) will always drop in no matter the conditions. The ones who have to work harder for food come out when it's nicer.

I saw more deer last night in a hayfield during the worst snow stron I've seen for a while in 222 and shot a faaaat hog 5x5.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:16 PM

Hmm. Thats usually where we catch the herd on our hay field grazing(Alfalfa/timothy/brome/barley)... The past 3-4 years they been there all of november.. almost every single night/morning (Even majority of october) But they havent even popped in since the snow started falling.. Walked the whole section of land today and only came across a few coyote tracks...... Maybe the grass is greener on the other side of Palby creek.. haha Grats on the 5x5 in 222. Is also the area I hunt. =) Best of luck. Lets hope tomorrow brings some more activity..
Old 11-03-2013, 08:17 PM

only saw mules moving and a cow moose after the snow stopped
Old 11-03-2013, 10:22 PM

I don't think making miles spreading your scent looking for tracks is the right thing. Be patient wait till weather stabilizes they have to eat
Old 11-03-2013, 10:59 PM

Default Thick cover

Whiteys will usually hide in thickest middle willow brush. Also on the back side of the wind hit side of hills under pines , spruce or thick cover till it stops coming down.