Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-03-2013, 01:06 PM

Default QUESTION - To Fish and Wildlife

Question: In the Province of Alberta when the Government post's a Provincial Park Sign on land and that particular land is being allowed use for Grazing Cattle by lease by a farmer it truly is not a Provincial Park.

Please help provide clarification on this issue for me, thank you for your time and efforts in this matter.

Sincerely;

HW
Old 11-03-2013, 01:30 PM

Hopefully someone from F&W will respond.

Are you saying that there is an active grazing permit in a Provincial or did you just observe cattle within the park boundary? What type of Provincial Park is it? Is it a Wildland Park?

There is likely grazing permits being given out in some Parks, I know there is in some Recreation Areas. Some of these are for grassland management, while many are holdovers from before the area(s) was(were) park land.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:36 PM

That's a question for AB Parks not fish and wildlife.

Lots of different types of AB Parks. They would need more info for sure to answer your question.

This might help while you wait...

http://www.albertaparks.ca/albertapa...ks-system.aspx
Old 11-03-2013, 01:37 PM

Cypress Hills are filled with grazing cattle, in my discussion with the park manager I was told they need the cattle to graze the grass.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-03-2013, 02:56 PM

Default Hmmmm

I have been hunting this land for 18 years, a couple of years back one of my access points entrance has a park sign on it, the sign just says no vehicle access, quading, snowmobiles, it does not say Hunting, I don't hunt that specific land, I just walk through it to get to my spot which I have a little hunting box I built there 16 years ago and I know for a fact Fish and Wildlife and the Park people know about it cause they have said so and it has been there that long that at some point someone has seen it.

So now I walk through with a gun lock on my rifle till I get to my box and then I'm good to go (in my opinion) If having the hunting box there was an issue I'm sure a note would be posted on it or it would be just simply removed by F/W or park staff , the thing is that how can you call it Provincial Park land (the 1st Quarter from the road) when a farmer has lease rights and openly has cattle grazing eating all the bush and land up that if it was a PP it would be for the wildlife. The farmer pulls his cattle before November but it just seems a little fishy to me, any clarification would be most helpful!

Many Thanks in Advance

HW
Old 11-03-2013, 04:23 PM

Shedcrazy is right, call AB parks and ask what the situation is.

Not all parkland is managed the same.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:39 AM

Default Makes No Sense

I think they just put this sign up to prevent off road vehicles from ripping up the area, which there was a major problem with that a couple of years back, the timing of that sign perfectly coincides the problem.

My Two Cents

HW