Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2018, 07:06 PM

Default Minn Kota armature issue. I think

So I was fishing, and used my Power Drive V2 70 pound to travel about 100 yards in some rough water. My motor is 2008 but only used for the past 6 years really.
Anyways, I went to pull anchor and like a lazy idiot I went to motor up to the anchor so it wasn’t back Breaking to pull in.

After a min or so I noticed I wasn’t moving and looked to see the anchor line wrapped around the motor and possibly against the prop. Ideal situation to over-current an electric motor, yet that’s what the breaker is for. Or so I thought.

I pulled the motor out and tested the armature bars. 5 are at 1 ohm, yet 1 is at 4.5 ohms. I guess it doesn’t get better in terms of diagnosing the problem, but I’ve never tested a DC armature before and I’m wondering if that might be within acceptances, and I’m about to waste $150-$200 on an armature I don’t need. Brushes look fine, and the entire motor is clean.

I’ve hotwired the motor with 12-24v and nada. The relays click when the pedal is pressed, so I can’t see it being the foot pedal or the control board, yet I’ve read a few posts from people who’s “trolling motor just clicks” and it was the foot pedal or control board. Yet none of them have seen to done much diagnosis on them.

Any electrical experts, or anyone who knows these motors well, able to give me some reassurance?

TIA