Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 12:08 AM

Default Grandma gets it done!

Woman who hunts deer at age 101 kills 2 with a single shot

Quote:
A 101-year-old hunter in Mississippi is still at it, and even dropped two deer with one shot.

Veteran hunter Bertha Vickers made the twofer during her first successful hunt at age 101, the Clarion Ledger reported . Getting two in one a few days after her Jan. 9 birthday was a complete accident, and the first time she’d ever done it, Vickers said.

After missing four this season, the Morgantown resident said she was determined to bag a deer. Her shots from the blind that relatives built her had missed. She liked the blind and its location but not her .243-caliber rifle, or another gun that her granddaughter had to cock for her.

Vickers was back in the blind days after her 101st birthday. She spotted one deer from her hideout, but she remained patient and was rewarded.

“I decided to wait for a bigger one,” Vickers said. “Before long, a bigger doe came out and I shot. Then I saw two deer on the ground. It shot plum through both of them.”

Vickers said she helped clean the animals and shared the meat with her family. “I made steaks, but I gave most of it to my grandchildren,” she said.

The centenarian also mows her lawn, raises vegetables and still enjoys fishing.

When she killed another deer just weeks before her 100th birthday, Vickers wondered why other people made a fuss about it. It was a doe after all, not a prized buck.

“When you’re as old as I am, you naturally think each one could be your last one, but I’m going to go as long as I can,” Vickers said.
101-year old hunter... Sure as heck you don't hear that often. Pretty crazy, actually. And not the 2 deer thing, but a 101-year old lady hunting. Well done and hope to see a "102-year old hunting..." article next year!

There was an article about her last year as well: This woman is 100 years old and still dropping deer
Old 01-22-2019, 05:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Good on her, my grandma turns 102 this year, still lives in her own.
Small apartment and people check on her often throughout the day for tea etc.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-22-2019, 10:46 AM

Great for her. Keep going
Old 01-22-2019, 04:54 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

And I will tell ya a story when she was in her seventies, she had a garden and out about 50 yards was a pole in which she ran her cloths line, well the chipmunks would run that line to the house and she told me if I see one tell me, I saw one, told her, she grabbed a single shot Coey 22 and one shot at a critter scurrying along the line fell dead...open sights...she said let me know if you see another

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...