Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-08-2019, 12:50 AM

Default Eberlestock F1 mainframe. A meat packing beast!!

Anyone looking for some options for meat packing without having to put the meat inside your pack. Have a look at the F1 mainframe from Eberlestock. It’s a light weight setup, and has worked great for me so far!!

https://youtu.be/4lSD-diKWvk
Old 01-08-2019, 06:20 PM

Indeed...me and 2 other friends have it now...great pack!
Old 01-08-2019, 08:16 PM

I have one, has been great for backpack hunting with the batwings and a drybag for all the overnight stuff.

I have yet to be successful with it and carry a really heavy load, but have heard some criticism on the poor design of the load lifters. There is a guy on rokslide that modified his to get a proper angle of pull.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
I have one, has been great for backpack hunting with the batwings and a drybag for all the overnight stuff.

I have yet to be successful with it and carry a really heavy load, but have heard some criticism on the poor design of the load lifters. There is a guy on rokslide that modified his to get a proper angle of pull.
They have remedied this by coming out with a large frame size that can get you a better angle on the load lifters. On the standard size frame, that I own, the load lifters are pretty much there for show. I pulled out 3 quarters off of my deer this past fall, plus all my gear, and it didn’t seem too bad. Of course, this is my first pack frame, so I don’t know how it compares to some of the others.

Most of the other big name pack companies that I have seen, don’t really offer a straight up frame. It’s always part of a bigger pack system. I’m happy with the eberlestock for now though. And I enjoy the modularity of it. I can switch the batwings for all kinds of other pockets, or add more pockets. Plus there are even a few stand alone packs that are compatible with the frame as well.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:01 AM

If you are actually packing heavy loads I’d probably look elsewhere.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-09-2019, 03:40 PM

I didn’t have any problems with mine last fall. I wasn’t carrying 100lbs, but probably around 60 pounds.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
They have remedied this by coming out with a large frame size that can get you a better angle on the load lifters. On the standard size frame, that I own, the load lifters are pretty much there for show. I pulled out 3 quarters off of my deer this past fall, plus all my gear, and it didn’t seem too bad. Of course, this is my first pack frame, so I don’t know how it compares to some of the others.

Most of the other big name pack companies that I have seen, don’t really offer a straight up frame. It’s always part of a bigger pack system. I’m happy with the eberlestock for now though. And I enjoy the modularity of it. I can switch the batwings for all kinds of other pockets, or add more pockets. Plus there are even a few stand alone packs that are compatible with the frame as well.
I really like mine and cannot imagine a better style for the one nighters I have been doing with it within a couple km of the car. I am not that concerned about packing out as I can always do two trips, but next year I will be doing a 4 nighter in pretty deep and I am concerned that it will not be a pleasant pack out. Funds will not allow me to get a top end hunting pack, so I may try the load lifter modifications or get an old Gregory or something off kijiji.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:10 PM

I bought one when Wholesale was just about giving them away. At 4 1/2 lbs with no bag (Web sight weight, I didn’t weigh it) its hefty, one trip into the mountains with it and that was enough to sell it when I got back to the truck. The barrel roll on these things is almost dangerous.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
I bought one when Wholesale was just about giving them away. At 4 1/2 lbs with no bag (Web sight weight, I didn’t weigh it) its hefty, one trip into the mountains with it and that was enough to sell it when I got back to the truck. The barrel roll on these things is almost dangerous.
I’m not sure what you mean by barrel roll? I just looked at the kifaru site, and for their ultralite frame it weighs 3 pounds. However it’s $180.00 more than what I paid for the eberlestock frame. Before shipping. And that’s just for the frame, you don’t even get compression straps to go with it. Honestly, if I had the money, I would probably have bought something different. I like the fact that I have the ability to change things up with this system, and it won’t cost me an absolute fortune to do so. Unless I start buying the extra packs that can be added onto the frame, instead of just the bigger storage pockets.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:39 PM

Sold mine upgraded to a maystery ranch marshal. Couldn’t stand having to wear the pack on the front and hauling a quarter for one trip or how small the transformer pack for it was. At 500$ for the frame and the pack there’s better options.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
If you are actually packing heavy loads I’d probably look elsewhere.
Yep. By the time you add up all the accessories you could have a much better pack
Old 01-09-2019, 06:13 PM

Eberlestock only seems nice or comfortable until you try a properly adjusted alpha pack. Their belt sucks and they’ve got no functional load lifters. Prices may seem bad on the top tier stuff but you can find them used for very good prices if you pay attention. I’ve bought kifaru frames for $180 Canadian in the past, I saw one of their hunter frames yesterday for $220.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:17 PM

If you are packing loads they suck. Which is generally a problem.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-09-2019, 07:45 PM

Where the mainframe shines for me is with the batwings and a super light drybag for overnights. Then it is a cheap, lightweight set up that lets you slim right down from overnight to daypackwhen you leave the drybag at camp - and for around $300. If you buy the bags and sheaths and accessory doodads it gets expensive and bulky.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Where the mainframe shines for me is with the batwings and a super light drybag for overnights. Then it is a cheap, lightweight set up that lets you slim right down from overnight to daypackwhen you leave the drybag at camp - and for around $300. If you buy the bags and sheaths and accessory doodads it gets expensive and bulky.
If you were to buy a bag that was the equivalent to your particular setup, you’d be paying at least $500usd! These other guys are probably right about the other companies packs being better suited for long backpacking hunts. I bought my pack frame because I like to hunt lands that are foot access only. Being easier to carry a pack, than drag in a deer cart, I opted for the only pack that was available in my area, that I liked. It’s worked out good for me so far. Will it be the last pack I buy, probably not, but maybe?? For what the resale value is on these packs, I’ll probably hang on to it. Buying a pack is like buying a bow, or a new truck. They lose 30%-40% of their initial value as soon as you take them out of the store.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
If you were to buy a bag that was the equivalent to your particular setup, you’d be paying at least $500usd! These other guys are probably right about the other companies packs being better suited for long backpacking hunts. I bought my pack frame because I like to hunt lands that are foot access only. Being easier to carry a pack, than drag in a deer cart, I opted for the only pack that was available in my area, that I liked. It’s worked out good for me so far. Will it be the last pack I buy, probably not, but maybe?? For what the resale value is on these packs, I’ll probably hang on to it. Buying a pack is like buying a bow, or a new truck. They lose 30%-40% of their initial value as soon as you take them out of the store.
I got my mainframe used for $125, so I know where you are coming from. I had to watch kijiji all winter. I think they are about $225 new and the batwings $70 maybe?. The drybag was about $30 from MEC.

I have tried to attach a pic of mine loaded up. I agree that it is not my last pack, but I doubt I will ever replace it for the kind of hunting you are talking about. I love it for what it is!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resizer_15470903174580.jpg (46.1 KB, 107 views)
Old 01-09-2019, 08:41 PM

https://www.stoneglacier.com/collect...evo-minimalist

-Billy Molls
Old 01-09-2019, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Under 3 lbs.. I think we have a winner
Old 01-09-2019, 09:01 PM

And here it is packing weight. :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 01-09-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
And here it is packing weight. :-)

Just out out curiosity, how much weight approx. ?
Old 01-09-2019, 09:21 PM

This is my 14 year old son and we estimated between 60-70 lbs.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-09-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I got my mainframe used for $125, so I know where you are coming from. I had to watch kijiji all winter. I think they are about $225 new and the batwings $70 maybe?. The drybag was about $30 from MEC.

I have tried to attach a pic of mine loaded up. I agree that it is not my last pack, but I doubt I will ever replace it for the kind of hunting you are talking about. I love it for what it is!
Really depends on where you buy your stuff. I got my frame on sale at jimbows for under $250.00 bucks, that’s Canadian dollars. And I bought my other pouches and my waist belt from a place in BC, prices are reasonable there. You’re paying pretty close to par with what the Americans are paying. But without the crazy shipping and customs fees. I’d say I am into my pack for $450 already, so I could probably have bought a different pack. There’s no doubt in my mind, that there are better options, but this is what I have, and I’ll make due with it for now!
Old 01-09-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Really depends on where you buy your stuff. I got my frame on sale at jimbows for under $250.00 bucks, that’s Canadian dollars. And I bought my other pouches and my waist belt from a place in BC, prices are reasonable there. You’re paying pretty close to par with what the Americans are paying. But without the crazy shipping and customs fees. I’d say I am into my pack for $450 already, so I could probably have bought a different pack. There’s no doubt in my mind, that there are better options, but this is what I have, and I’ll make due with it for now!
I just looked at cabelas and they are $280! I guess I was underestimating how much they are asking for new.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I just looked at cabelas and they are $280! I guess I was underestimating how much they are asking for new.
This is the site where I ordered my batwings, pockets, and hip belt. Fairly decent prices, shipping is not bad either, at least for the smaller stuff. Think I paid $10-$12 shopping, for 2 batwings and the other 2 pouches. They are out of Vancouver, B.C.

https://www.warriorsandwonders.com/E...sort=3a&page=1
Old 01-09-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
That looks pretty sweet. I will definitely check that out when it comes time to upgrade. I am sold on the drybag concept.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:41 PM

I think there are many good options for packs, on the market right now. Budget and availability pointed me in the direction of the eberlestock packs. Also, as stated before, I use it mostly for a day pack, with the option of carrying meat on my back, while hunting property that is foot access only. In the future, I would like to try a back packing trip or two, and it may not be ideal for that application. So far, I have no real complaints about it. But, I have never compared it to a kifaru, or mystery ranch pack. Maybe I’ll change my mind in the future?
Old 01-17-2019, 12:41 PM

I have one I think its great to have works great but I cant compare it to anything besides throwing a quarter on my shoulder which it is much better than!
I picked mine up a few years back on sale for 150 bucks from Wholesale Sports.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I have one I think its great to have works great but I cant compare it to anything besides throwing a quarter on my shoulder which it is much better than!
I picked mine up a few years back on sale for 150 bucks from Wholesale Sports.
Ive got one too and they work fine....i grew up hunting with old guys who thought you had to drag deer back to the truck whole.

The Eberlestock frame is awesome compared to that.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:26 PM

https://www.gohunt.com/video/backpac...st#gs.IOAb049v

-Billy Molls
Old 01-18-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I’ve seen this video before, it’s not comparing the mainframe, it’s comparing the aluminum stays of the internal frame on the battleship. Thats completely different than the tubular aluminum frame on the mainframe pack. I’d like to see how the f1 frame compares to the others!