Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 11:51 AM
Banned

Default Eld-x , Accubond , Trophy bond tip

I have a 7rm and have been using the accubond 160 gr for quite sometime now. There's always somethin new and would to try the Eld-x and the Trophy bonded tip . Let's say they all have the same accuracy. From what I can see the eld-x uses the interlock system and not a true bonded bullet , does it matter on performance/penetration . The trophy bonded tip is suppose to be a throw back form the famous trophy bear claw. Experiences and even pics of any of these 3 would be great .
Old 01-19-2019, 12:00 PM

Have you looked at the Accubond Long Range lineup from Nosler?
Old 01-19-2019, 12:05 PM

You are talking three different types of bullets, with different performance on game. I used the Trophy Bonded way back when it was sold by the original company, and they hold together very well, and penetrate deep. I have used the Accubond, and it does lose some weight, but it still retains most of the core. The interlock feature doesn't do well at holding the core in place on boattail bullets, so it will lose the most weight, and penetrate the least at higher velocities.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:22 PM

I'd stick with what you're using

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2019, 01:26 PM

I think the trophy bonded tip and accubond are very close in function. I used a 165gr trophy tip for first time on an animal this fall, no complaints. My win mag really seems to like the trophy tip. This is the first gun that i couldnt get to group partitions (which has always been my goto)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

X2.
I’ve shot game with accubonds and ELDX. The ELDX doesn’t hold together very well and I wouldn’t use it on anything bigger than deer.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:01 PM

Shot an elk with eldx this past fall. One shot, went about thirty yards. Perfect mushroom, bullet did loose forty grains. That’s 72% retention, not great!
Have to agree with others though, if your rifle is shooting well and your confident with Accubonds I’d be sticking with them.
Could always try others out at the range for shats and giggles..
Old 01-19-2019, 07:12 PM

I shot a big bull elk @60 yards with a 270wsm using the 145gr eldx at 3300fps

It passed through on a perfect broadside shot, bullet clipped both shoulders and hit a rib in and out. Smashed the heart and front of both lungs.

I’m extremely happy with this bullet so far. Very very accurate, easy to
Load for and great penetration and expansion in the wound channel.

I’ve shot Barnes TTSX exclusively for the last 12 years and have always been happy but I think I might like these more as they seem to cause a bit more trauma while still penetrating deep
Old 01-19-2019, 09:20 PM

Default Bullets

I have tried the ELDX and could not group them with my 7mm WSM and had better groupings with the TTSX. I have religiously shot the TTSX out of my 270 wsm for years and am very happy with them. They group very well and are very effective on game with excellent penetration. Hope this helps. I would like to try the long range accubonds maybe this year.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:14 PM

I used the 145 grain ELDX in my 270 win ackley this fall. Very accurate and easy to develop a load. I have only shot one animal, a bull elk broadside at 270 yards. Bullet broke a rib on the way in and out and the elk dropped and rolled. The exit hole was maybe half an inch. So far I like them.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:18 PM

Default Tough one

I load 140 accubonds for my 270wsm and have completely powdered everything I have meant to from bears, moose, to coyotes.

Built a 6.5x284 and loaded 143 eldx. I killed a moose at 440 bullet mushroomed good but lost a lot of weight like was said earlier. Shot a deer high shoulder at 45 yards deer ran and ran and ran. I finally caught up shot him again from 625 yards and the bullet passed thru one shoulder thru the heart and out the other side between two ribs. Very strange the entrance hole on the close shot was like 8" wide. I guess it was too close for the bullet but lets be honest, you never know where they are going to be close or far.

I have loaded both 160 accubonds and 162 eldx for the 7mm. Have yet to kill anything with the eldx but the noslers have killed many many things. they both actually shoot very close to one another. About 27ftps difference.

I have been a nosler fan for many years, I think ill stick to them in certain calibres. I would suggest sticking with what you like best. Although its tough to just be lame and keep things the same. HA
Old 01-22-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

X2 ,If they shot well why change,accubonds are good bullets.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:56 PM

Edlx are crap plain and simple my buddy shot a deer with one from a .243 110g projectile. Clipped the front shoulder only .23 g grains of it left. Stick with the bullets you been using
Old 01-22-2019, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey198 View Post
Edlx are crap plain and simple my buddy shot a deer with one from a .243 110g projectile. Clipped the front shoulder only .23 g grains of it left. Stick with the bullets you been using
lol my buddy dug a bullet out of his dead deer and then couldn't find the bullet

must make for really bad bullets
Old 01-22-2019, 04:07 PM
Banned

You guys are convincing me to leave good enuf alone . There's a lot of hype around the ELDX and some success mentioned on here but the interlock system still makes me leery. I do like the looks of that trophy tip and just for something new am gonna give it go . I could be wrong but am wondering if the trophy will retain more weight .