Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 07:17 PM

Default Estimating the value of a Ruger M77

I’ve got a safe queen that I might part with in the near future, but I’m not too up on how to assess the value. Are there any good online references?

The rifle is a 1977 vintage M77R in .243, in excellent condition, not a lots of rounds through it. It shoots 58g V-max bullets into little groups, so I know the barrel is good.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:12 PM
Banned

Nice Rugers were worth 700-750, but in this economy 600 +/-is where they sell.
I like my Ruger 77Vs, and for what you get out of them these days, not really worth selling.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:55 PM

Probably around $550-600. Can always advertise it for $700, then drop the price down if it sits. Some of the not so common calibers command a higher price.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:11 AM

Thanks. I wasn’t asking so much for opinions on the dollar value, but what sources of info might be available to base it on. If i take a rifle, particularly an older one, to a local gun store to sell on consignment, do they use a reference guide to help set a price, or is it mostly based on intuition?
Old 01-24-2019, 06:38 AM

Consignment you set the price and they take 20-30% of the sale price. If they buy it outright they take 40% off retail and offer that. Best deal going for selling your guns is Prophet River. You get 100% of the sale proceeds as long as you spend the money on something from Prophet River. I have heard there are a couple of places also doing that.

There is no reliable Canadian pricing guide for used guns. Prices vary widley by Geography and most particularly by the condition of the gun. Look up the price of a new gun the same as what you are selling, that will give you a starting point. Then check to see what is listed used in the make and calibre you want to sell. Ellwood Epps has an extensive list of used that is easily filtered and checking AO plus CGN using the search function is also useful.

Personally I sell mine on here and CGN. Never had a problem moving a gun that was properly priced. CGN is good because it expands your reach far beyond Alberta, where the current economy is hurting the sale prices on many things. Include good quality photos of the gun and a complete description of condition, etc. Advertisements without photos sell less than 40% as often as those that have good pictures.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There is no reliable Canadian pricing guide for used guns
Thanks again. Good info, and I think your comment about the lack of a pricing guide is what I was looking for. I’m familiar with Elwood Epps, but not CGN. Where are they located?
Old 01-24-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Thanks again. Good info, and I think your comment about the lack of a pricing guide is what I was looking for. I’m familiar with Elwood Epps, but not CGN. Where are they located?
CGN is Canadian Gun Nutz. National web site about guns and shooting, has an extensive Buy Sell area. With no trader rating you will need to do a face to face deal or work out something like COD, buyer gets a local friend to examine gun etc. Same with AO, guys are reluctant to buy from someone they don't know that has no trader rating, unless you are willing to ship the gun to someone with a good and extensive trader rating and then have them pay you.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:36 PM

The Blue Book of Gun Values. Is a good reference BUT remember the prices are USD and rifles like Colt, Winchester and a few others demand WAY higher prices in the USA, then here in Canada. As others have said check new price in Canada (google is your friend). If the rifle is used but like new, deduct ~15-20% as a starting point and go down from there if you want it to move it faster then 30% is fair, or ask more and wait for the right buyer to pay your price.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.