Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Banned

Default Favorite Rifle,Calibre and Bullet

Hey guys just wondering what are your favorite rifle or rifles: make, model, calibre and bullets are.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:17 AM

Mine is Remington Senduro, 300 win mag, 180 gr Swift Scirocco. Use handloads with Fed 215's & RL-22 powder.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:30 AM

Well, seeing as how I only own one: Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .270 Win. My favorite bullets are the ones that'll fill my freezer and put antlers on the wall!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:33 AM

Default 303 British

My favorite will always be the British. Not only the first gun I ever shot, but the most dependable, reliable, and storied gun I will ever shoot.
It may not be worth a thousand bucks, or shoot a thousand yards, But I have yet to see one that hasn't won the hearts of its owner.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegod74 View Post
But I have yet to see one that hasn't won the hearts of its owner.
Should of showed you mine! That thing used to break down anytime there was a deer in the sights!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:02 AM

If they are no longer my favorite they get sold.

Even after that I still regret some of the sales I've made.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-02-2010, 10:33 AM

I have a No1 Mk3 and that is my all time favorite rifle.

When i bought it, it had a decent sported wood stock on it (Maltby sportered) and i was somewhat happy with that. But i always wanted to have a really fancy monte carlo stock on it.

After years of searching, i found one with fantastic wood, but the steel looks like something a really BAD plumber mess up for fun. (no offence to plumbers )

I took the wood off and stripped it down, steel wooled it, not sandpaper to assure minimal wood loss. And put it on my good barreled action. It looks, works, and shoots great with open sights and Privi ammo. I absolutely love it.

When our hunting parties get together ever fall, some of the guys always kinda scoff at my "old .303". But i love it and thats all that matters.

My favorite shot was "slitting a deers throat", at about 75yds, through the bush last year. Not a big deal for some, but i was astounded.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helluvahunter View Post
Hey guys just wondering what are your favorite rifle or rifles: make, model, calibre and bullets are.
WHAT??!! ONE favourite??!!
Crap, a question like that to someone like myself is like telling a kid he can have any candy in the store he wants - but just one!!
Let's see, falling blocks and break action express guns are up at the top for me, bolt actions are down near the bottom, and semis do not even rate .

For calibres, ju8st about anything but a 243 winchester sits in my gun vault at any time, with 6.5 being my favourite for modern stuff.

I load a lot of Sierra and Lapua bullets in both 6.5mm and 7.62

For cast, it has to be the .577 bullet for cartridge guns, and .58 for muzzle loaders.
Don't have just one favourite , but have a few that I would consider "goto".
Cat
Old 08-02-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helluvahunter View Post
Just one you say?

OK, Model 70 Featherweight PF, 30-06, 56gIMR 4350 topped with a 180g Plain Jane Interlock. It hasn't lost an argument with an animal yet . I'm not sure why I still fell the need to have several other hunting rifles, but since when did need have anything to do with it. My Featherweight is still my go to gun.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:05 AM

sako TRG 42, 338 lapua with a hornady 250 gr bullet with a leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm with a mildot illum reticle!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:27 PM

Default "rifle"......as in singular??

Pick just one? sacriledge!!
My favorite, most important rifle/caliber, is the last one that I bought, that I absolutely had to have for hunting............ (And if anyone tells my wife anything different, I will hunt them down!)
My latest, favorite rifle, is the 358 Norma Mag I had built. should go good with the bull moose tag I drew this year.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Pick just one? sacriledge!!
My favorite, most important rifle/caliber, is the last one that I bought, that I absolutely had to have for hunting............ (And if anyone tells my wife anything different, I will hunt them down!)
My latest, favorite rifle, is the 358 Norma Mag I had built. should go good with the bull moose tag I drew this year.
358 norma mag vs. moose= devistation!(for moose of course)