Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-03-2020, 07:07 PM

Default Frostbite rods

Don't know if anyone has been waiting for some more Frostbite rods to show up but looks like some are back in stock. So far no True Grits yet or sold out already which I was really hoping to try.

Just a heads up if anyone interested.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Don't know if anyone has been waiting for some more Frostbite rods to show up but looks like some are back in stock. So far no True Grits yet or sold out already which I was really hoping to try.

Just a heads up if anyone interested.
impatiently waiting for a 38" True Grit! On the mailing list and supposed to get a notification when they're back in stock. They can't make them fast enough...they sell out as soon as they're in stock. It really helps having Aaron, Jay and Clay all pitching for them...
Old 01-04-2020, 11:13 AM

Is it still astronomical to ship into Canada? Last year waiting up to 3 weeks while being charged $15 in shopping turned me right off that brand.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linemanpete View Post
Is it still astronomical to ship into Canada? Last year waiting up to 3 weeks while being charged $15 in shopping turned me right off that brand.

Agreed. With Aaron, Jay, and Clayton being the big proponents and all being based in Canada I would think they would have a cheaper Canadian shipping option. A lot of their market would be up here.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-04-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linemanpete View Post
So far I was quoted $9.25 U.S. for shipping three rods. Will see if there are any other charges but according to my credit card account that is all I've been charged (plus exchange rate). All prices are USD.

Is $15 considered astronomical if ordering online? Last order I had from Cabelas that didn't meet the minimum for free shipping was at least that I'm sure.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:14 PM

I got one for Christmas it’s a royal flush,haven’t caught anything on it yet
Old 01-04-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
So far I was quoted $9.25 U.S. for shipping three rods. Will see if there are any other charges but according to my credit card account that is all I've been charged (plus exchange rate). All prices are USD.

Is $15 considered astronomical if ordering online? Last order I had from Cabelas that didn't meet the minimum for free shipping was at least that I'm sure.
If I gotta wait 3 weeks and pay for that pleasure then yea.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:

I put together an order of a couple dinner bells and a couple tantrums to try out. About $20 USD for four hooks, or $26 CAD. The cheapest shipping option to Edmonton was $10.45 USD, so half the price of the order. That makes each hook about $10 each on average, which is on the high end in my mind.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:59 AM

$15 to ship an ice rod up from the states is a big deal? Not sure if you guys all live right next door to cabelas or bass pro and just walk over on your free time to buy **** ....but for me if you take time and fuel into consideration $15 is cheap especially coming from the states.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I put together an order of a couple dinner bells and a couple tantrums to try out. About $20 USD for four hooks, or $26 CAD. The cheapest shipping option to Edmonton was $10.45 USD, so half the price of the order. That makes each hook about $10 each on average, which is on the high end in my mind.
mlee kinda beat me to it, not seeing the issue... There's always the option of driving or flying down to frostbite headquarters and picking them up yourself, then doing a cost comparison.

The price point of the lures doesn't seem bad either, for comparison let's take a couple buckshot spoons, add a couple lipless baits from another company (Lindy Darter for ex.) and your probably looking at $35-$40 bucks CAD. Whether one or the other is worth the price is a matter of opinion not much more.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:22 AM

These guys intentionally wanted to make a product that was affordable to the average fisherman, not like the Haat rods from Eric Haatja, which are elite products and priced so. Frostbite is a top end product at a more reasonable price. The shipping doesn't scare me too badly. As soon as the True Grit is in stock, the wife and I are getting two. Big trip planned for Lake Winnipeg in at the end of March so they'll get a workout! 🎣
Old 01-05-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
These guys intentionally wanted to make a product that was affordable to the average fisherman, not like the Haat rods from Eric Haatja, which are elite products and priced so. Frostbite is a top end product at a more reasonable price. The shipping doesn't scare me too badly. As soon as the True Grit is in stock, the wife and I are getting two. Big trip planned for Lake Winnipeg in at the end of March so they'll get a workout! 🎣

A Haat rod is the exact same price as the Frostbite Medallion series. $89.99 USD.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
mlee kinda beat me to it, not seeing the issue... There's always the option of driving or flying down to frostbite headquarters and picking them up yourself, then doing a cost comparison.

The price point of the lures doesn't seem bad either, for comparison let's take a couple buckshot spoons, add a couple lipless baits from another company (Lindy Darter for ex.) and your probably looking at $35-$40 bucks CAD. Whether one or the other is worth the price is a matter of opinion not much more.

There’s also the option of buying an equally priced rod locally, not paying the shipping, and supporting a local business.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
A Haat rod is the exact same price as the Frostbite Medallion series. $89.99 USD.
But not the second series... Same rods without flexible eyes. Way better deal.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
There’s also the option of buying an equally priced rod locally, not paying the shipping, and supporting a local business.
Oh boy here we go down the rabbit hole... so what would you consider "local"?.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:19 PM

Just picked up my custom lake trout rod 42in titanium eyelets love it bought locally Alberta, cost a little bit more but I got exactly what I ordered.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk