Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2018, 09:43 PM

Default flood alarm for basement??

Dealt with this 3 times in the last 3 months.luckily all caught before massive damage was done...is there any such thing as an alarm to let you know when water is on your floor in the basement??sounds stupid I know.i don’t have a sump the guy that owned this house before me built the entire thing himself and I guess didn’t put one in..
Old 05-18-2018, 09:47 PM

We have a flood alarm in our basement.

As well as fire and low temp.

Saves us over $500 a year in insurance costs on the house. In other words, it completely pays for itself with the insurance savings.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:36 PM

All sorts of stuff out there.

At one time I saw an Asprin wedged between a clothes pin with foil wrapped around each half of the clothespin, and a piece of wire embedded in the foil.

Asprin gets wet, and crumbles, the foil on the clothespin ends meet and completes the circuit and sets off the alarm.

I’m sure there’s something a tad more modern out there these days.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.w...000105838.html

There are no absolutes
Old 05-18-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
We have a flood alarm in our basement.

As well as fire and low temp.

Saves us over $500 a year in insurance costs on the house. In other words, it completely pays for itself with the insurance savings.
Should also mention this includes a glass break and intruder alarm monitoring.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:09 PM

We got one at Home Hardware or similar establishment. Sits in a little bracket on the wall with a little double wire going down to floor. Any water between wire ends and it sounds a loud alarm like a smoke detector. Also has a signal for low battery.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:20 AM

A couple of UFA stores I have been to have a display at the counter. Its a little white alarm about the size of a pill bottle. You set it on the floor by a drain, water tank ect. When water touches the two prongs it sounds a 100+ db alarm. I think they cost less that $20 each and the battery in supposed to last for 5 years.

It has saved me once when my sewer started to back up and another time when we had a water leak. Caught both of them before they hit carpet.
I sometimes go weeks without stepping foot in the basement so it is nice piece of mind.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:21 AM

I have the Honeywell Lyric - Wi-Fi Water Leak and Freeze Detector

It cost $90 from best buy with no monthly subscription. Connects to the house wifi and notify's my phone if water is detected or if the temperature/humidity reach certain set points I set up. Also has an audible alarm you will hear if you are home. I wanted a way to monitor my house while I am gone for temperature and water leaks without paying a monthly fee and after a little research this is the best product on the market.

https://yourhome.honeywell.com/en/pr...reeze-detector
Old 05-19-2018, 01:22 AM

I installed a high water sensor in our sump barrel. Saved us when our sump pump quit.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon444 View Post
I have the Honeywell Lyric - Wi-Fi Water Leak and Freeze Detector

It cost $90 from best buy with no monthly subscription. Connects to the house wifi and notify's my phone if water is detected or if the temperature/humidity reach certain set points I set up. Also has an audible alarm you will hear if you are home. I wanted a way to monitor my house while I am gone for temperature and water leaks without paying a monthly fee and after a little research this is the best product on the market.

https://yourhome.honeywell.com/en/pr...reeze-detector
It’s fine if you’re running your wifi with battery backup. If the power goes out and your sump pump quits it may be an issue. As a former High Riverite, colour me paranoid.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:35 AM

There are many brands of water alarms designed to be placed on the floor adjacent ones floor drain or near appliances one might expect to leak (water heater, clothes washer), these generally have two metal contacts that will compete a circuit when wet. Other types of high water alarms can be an additional sump float switch that ties back to a sump alarm, in the case of one of these the float would be set a distance higher than the float that engages the sump pump so that the alarm only engages in the instance that either the pump or other float switch has failed.

I have the linked sump alarm set up in a sump in my own bsmt that collects water from my weeping tile. Aside from it I have switches wired that turn the power to the float switch off but also a 2nd switch that bypasses the float so that I can engage the pump manually (handy for ‘exercising’ the pump and also determining if the float switch is bad in the event it’s not engaging)

https://www.amresupply.com/part/16037846
Old 05-19-2018, 08:42 AM

How many of you guys have your alarm wired into it main water valve shut off solenoid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2018, 08:45 AM

Tons of low cost alarms on amazon as well.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Tons of low cost alarms on amazon as well.
I had one. Used it for a while tested it and it didn't work. Wish I had one the other day.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-20-2018, 06:08 AM

Improvise diy water alarm from a smoke detector simple enough.
https://youtu.be/gfgUPBApY7s
Old 05-20-2018, 08:29 AM

As mentioned above. Works awesome
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.w...000105838.html
Old 05-21-2018, 12:36 AM

I'm telling you guys spend the 90 and get the Honeywell Lyric one. Works amazing and and without wifi works as a regular monitor and will alarm out throughout the house. Can add additional cords and use it in multiple areas around the same room. Mine goes into my sump and also around the water heater area and drains if the sewer backs up.

Also nice when Im away from home in the winter i can check in on my house temperature and will notify me of leaks while connected to wifi.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon444 View Post
I'm telling you guys spend the 90 and get the Honeywell Lyric one. Works amazing and and without wifi works as a regular monitor and will alarm out throughout the house. Can add additional cords and use it in multiple areas around the same room. Mine goes into my sump and also around the water heater area and drains if the sewer backs up.

Also nice when Im away from home in the winter i can check in on my house temperature and will notify me of leaks while connected to wifi.
They work good. I have 6 of them at different locations. Even have one in my gun room set to alarm on high humidity (if the de humidifier fails).
Old 05-22-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1 View Post
It’s fine if you’re running your wifi with battery backup. If the power goes out and your sump pump quits it may be an issue. As a former High Riverite, colour me paranoid.
Looks like they are battery powered, with up to 3 years of life on the batteries.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:21 PM

Lots of products on Amazon. on the subjects of alarms, check out a freezer alarm. That would have saved me a ton of money
Old 05-23-2018, 03:59 AM

Walmart aisle 26 next to the poltergeist alarm
Old 05-23-2018, 09:02 AM

We have 3 battery operated alarms purchased off of amazon - 1 for each sump and one for the floor drain in the furnace room. Check them every so often and there should be no issue.